PDA

View Full Version : Does Lupus cause depression?

ssingh
04-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Does Lupus cause depression? if so should Lupus be treated to treat the cause or just plain depression treatment?

OR

Depression causes Lupus flare?? how they are inter linked?

pamjw
04-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I copied this from the Lupus Foundation of America
There is lots of good info there.

I have Lupus and so does my sister, she suffers from depression.
Which is usually caused because she is feeling so rotten.
But like the foundation says, depression is its own disease in its self.
My daughter suffers from clinical depression and had discoid lupus, but there isn't a conection.
Hope this is helpful

Pam

Depression:
Quite understandably, when you have lupus, you may sometimes feel sad or depressed. There are tensions that having lupus can cause in personal relationships; there is the knowledge that lupus is a chronic illness and cannot be cured; and there can be pain and other physical symptoms. The unpredictability of lupus, with its unexpected flares and remissions, and the uncertainty of what each day will bring can contribute to feelings of lack of control. Usually these feelings subside with time, as you learn to adjust to having lupus.

In some cases, though, these negative feelings can be overwhelming and long-lasting. Feelings of helplessness or hopelessness, sadness, anger, frustration, uncontrolled crying, inability to concentrate, diminished memory and recall, indecisiveness, and thoughts of suicide are all signs of clinical depression. Clinical depression is an illness, not just a symptom or side effect of having lupus, and may affect you in many other ways, such as:

interfering with restful sleep
making pain worse
decreasing appetite or triggering overeating
causing fatigue
causing a lack of interest in things you once enjoyed
sometimes making you feel unable to get out of bed
Depression often accompanies chronic illnesses. In fact, studies have found that between 15 and 60 percent of people with a chronic illness will experience clinical depression.

For people with lupus, several reasons may account for this.

Depression may occur as a direct result of the physical effects the disease produces on your body.
Some of the medicines that are prescribed to control lupus are known to play a role in causing depression (for example, depression that occurs with high-dose steroid usage).
Depression may be a result of the continuous series of emotional and psychological stresses and strains associated with coping with a chronic illness.
Depression may be a result of neurologic problems or experiences completely unrelated to the lupus diagnosis.
In many cases, anti-depressant medication can help ease the effects of depression. Anti-anxiety medicines are also available to reduce worry and fearful feelings. As with all medicines, these types of drugs have side effects, some of which can be confused with symptoms associated with lupus. If you are taking medicines to treat depression or anxiety, stay in close contact with your lupus doctor about any physical changes you notice.

Psychotherapy, either by itself or in combination with anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medication, can be very effective in helping you understand your feelings, illness, and relationships, and how to cope more effectively. If you are experiencing signs or symptoms of depression, you should not hesitate to ask your doctor for referral to a mental health professional who is familiar with issues surrounding chronic illnesses such as lupus.

mountaindreamer
04-01-2009, 07:10 PM
hi ssingh,

my bouts with being depressed begin after several days of a flare. i can get through a few days, but if i wake on the 4th day and still feel badly, then i really struggle with being depressed. i don't think this can be diagnosed as depression, but being depressed is certainly justified. mine is a result of the flare, not separate.

i know some here truly struggle with depression (and who wouldn't), and some struggle during long flares.

interesting thread, and i look forward to the different experiences being told.

ssingh
04-01-2009, 08:07 PM
I think being positive helps very much but it is so hard to positive when so many things going on.

gina
04-02-2009, 05:30 AM
I also get depressed when having a flare but when its gone i feel great. i think its just in my mind when i feel bad i don't like it. but when i feel good its great and have so much energy. so i think that the depressions are different. we get depress when feeling bad and there are people in the world who are always depressed and have to take meds. to overcome it. i don't think we need the meds for it if it only occurs durning a flare.

think positve is the best cure and remember you woke up today.:laugh:

rob
04-02-2009, 10:09 AM
For me, yes, Lupus, and all the heartache and BS that goes with it, causes depression. After awhile, the depression and the Lupus flares seem to feed off of each other in a rather nasty, and hard to escape cycle. I try to avoid falling into that hole at all costs. Not fun.

Rob

tasha
04-02-2009, 10:38 AM
dealing with lupus in general and the effects of prednisone make me depressed. but the way you think about things is directly related to the feelings you possess... so thinking positively and focusing on good thoughts and things that make you happy really helps battle depression.

lucky7
04-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Im with everyone else on the whole POWER OF THE MIND thing. Our way of thinking Greatly effects us. We have to use different words to ourselves to help us through those moments. I try to catch myself when im using phrases and words that are going to be of no good to my thoughts and symptoms. It's VERY HaRD at times but i try to stay as aware of it as i possibly can to help me through those rough patches. I mentioned a book a while ago on another post that has REALLY helped me with this; "How to Make Yourself Happy and Remarkably Less Disturbable" by Albert Ellis,Ph.D I hope it can help some others too. Believe me though, i DO HAVE my rough DAYS! Its not easy!:devil3:Thats me on a rough day! LOL

tasha
04-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Im with everyone else on the whole POWER OF THE MIND thing. Our way of thinking Greatly effects us. We have to use different words to ourselves to help us through those moments. I try to catch myself when im using phrases and words that are going to be of no good to my thoughts and symptoms. It's VERY HaRD at times but i try to stay as aware of it as i possibly can to help me through those rough patches. I mentioned a book a while ago on another post that has REALLY helped me with this; "How to Make Yourself Happy and Remarkably Less Disturbable" by Albert Ellis,Ph.D I hope it can help some others too. Believe me though, i DO HAVE my rough DAYS! Its not easy!:devil3:Thats me on a rough day! LOL

this is why i'm going to be a CBT therapist :) major love for Ellis and his rational-emotive behavior therapy. the way you think influences the way you feel which influences the way you behave! so start thinking positively!!!

lucky7
04-02-2009, 02:09 PM
WOO HOO to that!!!!:arms:

mountaindreamer
04-02-2009, 04:46 PM
thanks jeannette and tasha,
i think i will have a sign made and hang on my wall...."the way you think influences the way you feel which influences the way you act so start thinking positively."

nice job.

lucky7
04-02-2009, 07:47 PM
It's nice to hear your very good attitude about giving it a try Phyllis! GO PHYLLIS!!!! You'll find that its something you have to think about daily because it is work, but you'll feel better for it. Like i said though, some days are going to be tougher than others but thats why i have the book highlighted and posted! By the way, i DO have little sayings and phrases posted to my mirrors and bulliten board here at home because sometimes i need it IN-MY-FACE to remind myself!;)Im glad you're being taught that way of thinking Tasha,i know Dr. Ellis wanted to have it that way everywhere and he went for years with just a few listening. Good for you!!!!! You're going to do well!!!!:arms:

mountaindreamer
04-03-2009, 04:05 AM
good morning jeannette,

i have always believed in the power of positive thinking. my brain fog will not allow me to recall the two word phrase that is used to reinforce positive thinking. whatever our thougts are, is what we will attract. for example, if we think about the bad things that might come on a particular day, then we are attracting these bad things. if we think of the good things that might come around that day, then we attract the good. there is a two word phrase for this, but i can not remember....have been trying the remember since tasha introduced the power of thought in this thread....oh i wish i could remember.

you are right, it takes a constant reminder to use positive thoughts....think about what we want, not what we don't want.

lucky7
04-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Phyllis!!! HMMMMMM, im not quite sure what that two word phrase is,unless i do know and im just not pulling it out of the old nogin,that happens all the time these days!:33: Im so happy to hear you feel the same way about irrational thinking, alot of people dont realize how much it can change their lives. It just makes sense when you think about how your irrational thinking is going to lead to irrational behavior. You summed it up quite nicely,we have the power to CHOOSE whether to disturb or not to upset ourselves about undesirable happenings. Hope your day is going well!:wave: Its rainy here in Ohio so im telling myself it's not that bad because now i can "veg out" with that cozy feeling you have when the weathers icky!:umbrella: WOO HOO to the power of rational thinking!!!:653:

tasha
04-03-2009, 06:29 PM
i constantly catch myself thinking irrationally and then i say to myself STOP BEING IRRATIONAL! statements that involve words like "always" and "never" such as "this disease always makes me feel bad!" and "i'm never going to get better!" are COMPLETELY 100% irrational! it is an EXTREMELY rare occurrance that something ALWAYS happens or NEVER happens, haha. life is too unpredictable for statements like that to have any truth to them.

sick n tired
04-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I am more like Rob...the lupus and possibly of other illnesses...diagnostic proceedures...worry about the unknown as far as doctors checking or other illnesses...do cause me to become depresses...and there are times when the illness(lupus) and depression feed off one another...