PDA

View Full Version : When Life Gives You Lemons...

Rastagirl
03-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Make Citrus Cream Sauce!!

I thought, just for fun, I'd share a new recipe I've been enjoying lately.

It's a Pasta Cream Sauce, but I've altered it to be a thicker sauce and use it over Parmesean Crusted Salmon stuffed with bay shrimp. It's very rich and creamy and I use it for a special occasion dinner. It's delicious served over fish.

1 Cup Heavy Cream
2 Tablespoons Cognac (or dry Sherry)
The grated zest of 1 Lemon
The grated zest of 1 large navel Orange
1/2 teaspoon Coarse Salt
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh Mint (about 3 sprigs)
12 fresh Basil Leaves, shredded or torn
The yolk of 1 large Egg

In a skillet over medium-low heat, warm cream. (Be careful not to heat too quickly.) Stir in Cognac or Sherry, zests of Lemon and Orange, and Salt. Simmer, 7 to 10 minutes. Add Mint and Basil. Stir gently. Pour a small amount of cream mixture into a small bowl and let it cool for a few minutes. Quickly whisk in the egg yolk and then return the whole mixture to the cream in the skillet, stirring gently. Heat for another minute or two to allow the sauce to thicken.

*If you want a thinner sauce to serve with your favorite pasta, just omit the part with the egg yolk.

*I personally prefer the Cognac over Sherry. It gives it a richer, smoother flavor. But a whole bottle of Cognac at the Liquor Store is a pretty hefty price, I discovered, so I buy the small sample bottles they have at the counter for only $3.

*If you serve this with a pasta, it's delicious sprinkled with 1/2 cup of grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese.

The combined flavors of the citrus, mint, and basil are absolutely wonderful!

One of the things I've discovered lately that lowers my stress level is to experiment with cooking. On a Saturday night, when I don't need to be rushed, I'll choose a new recipe, usually with some fresh ingredients, and take my time and enjoy the preparation and the whole experience. Sometimes, I'll even pour a glass of wine and savor the moment. The end result is always worth it.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.... :yumyum:

Lori :heart:

Angel Oliver
03-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Oh Lori,

This sounds delicious.You always make me hungry.When i think of you i think of soup and food and my mouth waters.MMmmmmmmm.

Thanks for sharing this.I may one day try it.

love
Amanda.xxxx

BonusMom
03-30-2009, 01:01 PM
I know what I'm making for dinner tonight! This sounds absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing, Lori!

mountaindreamer
03-30-2009, 03:34 PM
good grief lori,,,,what time is dinner?

saturday casual cooking, experimenting with new recipe,.....mmmmm sounds like a wonderful day...and a glass of wine ...

cptnblah
03-30-2009, 04:53 PM
mmm that does sound good!! Now was that two bottles of Cognac? Was that for the cook while cooking? Just kidding, that does sound great!

Angel Oliver
03-30-2009, 04:55 PM
:laughing-at-you:

Rastagirl
03-30-2009, 05:14 PM
No...that's 2 Tablespoons for the recipe...2 gulps for the cook!!

I am quite certain that if the cook drank his/her own bottle, the recipe would not come out quite the same.

:)

I could try it though, and let you know.....

:lmao::lmao: :lmao:<<<<<<< I have a feeling this is what I'd look like....

Lori

Pretti in Pink
03-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Hey,

You never know it might taste better. I, too, like you have been experimenting with recipes but seems like i have been having better luck with pastries than dishes. Is there any substitute for the heavy cream because i think that would be the death of my stomach.

Recipe swapping sounds like a good forum, hmmm?

brandichi
03-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Wow, this sounds great! And what perfect timing too, as I have some heavy cream left over from the Alfredo sauce I made over the weekend, and didn't know what to do with it. Best of all, I have almost all of the ingredients in the house right now - I know what I'm making tomorrow! Thanks!! :cute:

iseedeadmonkeys
03-31-2009, 08:02 AM
you really are strange!!

i walked in this thread with summin on my mind and thought wtf?? lol

peace out pasta sauce
xxx

cptnblah
03-31-2009, 02:18 PM
LOL...I will drink the other bottle while watching the cook. If I drink enough do you think that it would help with doubling the batch? (darn did I say that out loud?)

Rastagirl
03-31-2009, 02:51 PM
I think that might work.....however, it might be double vision that creates the double batch.....LOL :wacko:

Rasta :cool2:

sick n tired
03-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Oh my...that really looks good...I can't wait to try it..

Rastagirl
03-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey Pretti...don't know of any sub for the heavy cream...wish there was...that's why this is a 'Special Occasion' recipe...my arteries need a good 6 months between batches.

Yep, I definitely think a recipe forum is a great idea...there have been a few recipes people in this forum have shared in the past that sound delicious. Maybe we could even have a special area just for chocolate ones.....I know Angel would spend time there drooling for sure. :yumyum:

Hey monkeys...explain the strange part...you knew I was strange already...you should know by now that you never know what to expect when you walk in on my posts. :wacko: I like to keep ya on your toes, girl.

Raising my glass in a toast to good food and good friends.......

Fondly,

Lori :cool2:

sick n tired
03-31-2009, 03:17 PM
***raising my glass with you***
bon appetite....Don't I sound fancy? That's french for what we say in Texas...Eat up :-)

Grime
03-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Here's one for Angle and other chocolate lovers.

Truffle Pie

Ingredients
Truffle Fillings:

2/3 cup heavy cream
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust

Whipped Chocolate Filling:

6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Whipped Cream Topping:

1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar

Garnish:

1 1/2 ounces milk chocolate
1 1/2 ounces white chocolate
1 1/2 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate

Directions

For the truffle filling, in a saucepan, bring 2/3 cup cream to a simmer, Place the 5 ounces chocolate chips in a bowl and pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute, then gently whisk until smooth, Spread truffle filling over the bottom of the prepared pie crust. Freeze for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, for the whipped chocolate filling, in a double boiler or a microwave set on low power, heat the 6 ounces chocolate chips with 1/2 cup of the cream until the chocolate is just melted, stirring often. Let cool to room temperature. Inn a chilled bowl, beat the chocolate mixture, remain int 1 cup of cream and the vanilla until soft peaks form (tips curl). Spread the whipped chocolate mixture over the truffle filling in the crust. Refrigerate overnight.

For the topping, just before serving, beat 1 cup cream on medium speed of an electric mixer until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and whip until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Spread the whipped cream over the top of the pie. Using a grater of vegetable peeler, make pieces or shaving of milk chocolate, white chocolate, and semisweet or dark chocolate. Garnish pie with chocolate pieces. Serve immediately.

Prep Time: 30 min
Inactive Prep time: 8 hours 20 min
Cook Time: min hr min
Makes 8 servings

Watch out chocolate lover its addicting .

Angel Oliver
03-31-2009, 04:23 PM
O M G i am licking the screen right now.Thanks so much!!!! xxxx

Rastagirl
03-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........ :yumyum:

Rather than licking the screen, how 'bout I :drive: over and pick you up Angel.....and we'll head to Texas.

Start cooking now, David...we'll be there in a few days.....Can you make one for Angel...and one for Me, pleasesssee?

And don't rinse out the bowls or spoons...we plan to lick them clean.

(Angel, I had to use 'drive' cuz their wasn't an airplane smiley!)

p.s. Seriously, David, I'll be trying this recipe soon. Thanks for sharing.

Angel Oliver
03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Thats sounds like a fab idea. I;ll be trying both of them.:yes:

Grime
03-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Lori,
You pick up Angle and come on down. Lisa will make as many as needed. Then we'll all go sailing to top it off.

After sailing we'll have fresh shrimp, crab, and red fish caught right here in Port O'Connor. We'll have a blast.

lucky7
03-31-2009, 07:30 PM
YUMMY! I feel it hitting the thighs as i read it all!!! LOL 6 months inbetween sounds about right Lori! LOL

mountaindreamer
03-31-2009, 08:43 PM
ya'll swing my georgia and pick me up....i know how to get to the texas coast, and we will go meet david and lisa.

after eating all of this, we might need two cars to load our enlarged a---- and hips for the trip home.

lucky7
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
LOL:laugh:

Rastagirl
03-31-2009, 09:51 PM
Okay Mountain...we're coming by Georgia, since I'm terrible with directions we'll need a navigator...and shall we swing by Ohio, Lucky? And I'm guessing SicknTired will want to tag along, right?

You will need to hang on though, as I'm a 'Mario Andretti' on the highway (my husband with the race car taught me how to drive) :drive:

Actually, David, your idea sounds amazing. I absolutely love seafood, especially crab. Wish there was a way to actually pull that off...if the dang ecomony wasn't so crappy for everyone right now, wouldn't it be fun to plan a get together with some of us. A day of sailing, great food, and fantastic people...sitting around laughing and having a beer under the stars in the evening...I think that paints a nice picture.

Maybe I'll email 'Ellen' and see if she could make a dream come true for a whole lot of sick people....who knows, maybe she'd send a limmo to get our big a****s home, Mountain. :)

Just a thought....

Fondly,

sick n tired
03-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey are we going to Georgia? I am so there...let me know when to be ready.....:fam21:We're gonna par tay...

Rastagirl
03-31-2009, 10:56 PM
First we're picking up Angel...then swinging by Georgia for Mountaindreamer...then we're off to the Texas coast to meet up with David and Lisa....so I figured you'd want to join us since you're already there in Texas.

Buy hey, how does this sound... I swing by Texas first and pick you up...then you and I can take the scenic route and pick everybody else up...we'll end up at the Texas coast for some sailing and partying?

Pack your swimsuit and flip flops...

:cute: Oh, yeah...and the SPF50.

Lori

sick n tired
03-31-2009, 11:09 PM
Sailing and swimming:huh: I can't wait...I am north of David and Lisa....hey if Kathy is feeling better we might get her, too...she is in between me and David and Lisa:yes:

Oluwa
03-31-2009, 11:10 PM
Angel..you have me roaring over here. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif Lickin' the screen...save some for me, girl...

Thank you, Grime for the recipe...adding it to my 'have to make' file. Gluten free crust in your box by chance?

Happy Night..
Love,
Oluwa

sick n tired
03-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Wow Grime...that looks awesome...I want some...mmm mmm

Oluwa
I have the best rolls and they are gluten free I love them they are called: Pao de Queijo or Brazilian Cheese rolls..they are easy to make and if you don't like other white cheeses then the dryer parmesian can be substituted they have the texture sort of like cream puffs...here is the recipe

Brazilian Cheese Rolls

1 cup of water

1 cup of milk ( 2% reduced fat)

cup oil ( canola oil)

1 teaspoon of salt ( iodized)

1lb of tapioca starch

2-3 eggs ( large)

7 oz of grated parmesan cheese

Boil in a wok the following: water, milk, oil and salt. Remove the wok from heat and sift in the Tapioca starch. Add grated cheese into the above mixture and knead well. Allow to cool to room temperature. Add eggs , one at a time, into the mixture and mix well using a wooden spoon. Knead the mixture into a smooth textured dough. Allow the dough sit for 30-45 minutes at room temperature. Shape spoonful of the dough into small balls ( lemon sized) by rolling with hands. Preheat oven to 350F. Place the balls of dough atleast inch apart on parchment paper or greased baking sheet. The cheese rolls will become twice their original size when done. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Stick in a toothpick/ fruit fork into some the rolls, if it comes out clear the rolls are done. Allow time to cool. Serve warm.

cptnblah
04-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Brazilian Cheese Rolls? I am getting bigger rolls just reading this thread!!! And parties? arrr...here's to you maties!!!

ROFLMAO

Angel Oliver
04-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Mmmm this thread makes me feel so hungry. Right ive got me bikini on with the sexy gut overhang :) Oh and im bringing my cd for the car if its ok....back street boys. They did a video driving in a car oh the views were fab and the boys were delish!! Oh if this were only real!

Angel.xxxx

mountaindreamer
04-01-2009, 07:04 PM
hey cptnblah,

can you take your big boat over to the uk and pick up angel, heidi, and ISDM, and meet us at the texas coast?

you may have to swing by portugal if thats ok.

lucky7
04-02-2009, 12:02 PM
OMG, Please pick me up too!!!! I dont want to miss all the good eating and the Yummy food!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!! Wouldnt it be GREAT if this really happened! It would be so neat to meet everyone in person! If i win the lotto im getting everyone together on me!!!!:drive: Thats me on my way to pick everyone up! Well, i guess if i won the lotto though i would be flying everyone in, DUH.

cptnblah
04-02-2009, 01:03 PM
LOL you all are killing me!!! I could not wait to get home from work to see what all you were talking about today! It would be a hoot to be able to run all over getting people for a party. Years ago I was on a site that a bunch of people in the area and some not so close got together for a weekend of raising heck. It was fun...what I remember of it. The pics did not help much through.

And to think what a fruity named thread can lead to!!!!!

lucky7
04-02-2009, 02:20 PM
I say (lottery or not) LETS DO IT!!!!!! Bring on the FUN!
:raspberry1:

Rastagirl
04-02-2009, 03:04 PM
That's why I like to interject those 'fruity themed threads' every once in awhile, Captnblah....they can lead off in all kinds of directions with a group like this.... :veryhappy:

If you haven't noticed...I like to keep some daily fun in this forum...it keeps me halfway sane...(Did ya notice I said 'half way'?) :wacko:

Smiles and hugs for all................

cptnblah
04-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Just bumping it back up to see if anyone else joins.

Rastagirl
04-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Where are the fruity-fun people hiding? Come out...come out where ever you are................

I desperately need some fun...I spent all day yesterday in a dark, quiet room with a horrible visual migraine........Ugggggg!! :headache:

But I'm much better today and mom says I can come out and play...

What did everyone do for their weekend? Anything fun? ....interesting? .... come one, share a story.....please!!

sick n tired
04-06-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm still here, just not feeling quite like sailing and swimming as I was earlier....I have a bad case of life....

But...I will be ready when you come...I know I will..

Pretti in Pink
04-06-2009, 05:35 PM
this is a good thread but unfortunately I am not as funny as you guys. Sick n tired don't worry we carry you along and lift your spirits and before you know it you'll forget they were ever down.

Rest of the crew, it would be great to just go riding and sailing and eating and then starting all over again, riding and sailing and eating- and oh yeah, LOADS of fun. ( of course, with relaxing in between).

Rastagirl
04-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Okay...

So we could all go... riding....nap...sailing....nap....eating and fun....nap....then it woud be dark....so we'd light a campfire...sit under the stars, cuz that's okay with Lupus...and.....ummmmm, does anyone play the guitar? .....cuz we need some music. And a few of us would have a beer...and a few songs...and then some of us would need a nap again...so we'd tuck you in...and the rest of us would eat again :yumyum: and oh, what a night it would be.

See, we can work with you...we'd stop for naps whenever they're needed. Hey, I just had a funny picture...all of us needing naps at the same time and a big group of Lupies all crashed and snoring. :sleepy:

Oh, and Karen, we'll give you lots of love and support since life is picking on you right now....and we'd never forget to stop by and pick you up. It wouldn't be a party without you...

and you too Pretti......

Take care, both of you.

Pretti in Pink
04-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah Rastagirl, that's the spirit. Camping out, if no one plays, there's tones of CD and we can pretend that we're playing, that would be even funnier. I'd probably be one of the first one's tucked in and then I'd be the first up running around waking everyone else up to start the party back up.

mountaindreamer
04-06-2009, 06:20 PM
ok, I'll jump in and enjoy this fun....

camping, moonlight, camp fire, sleeping bags, beer/wine, and friends....sounds like the best night ever.

i just hope we aren't all in a flare, because someone would forget where they put their sleeping bag, another would forget to bring the light for the camp fire. on well, we would have a night of alcohol, friends, and moonlight....works for me.

Rastagirl
04-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Oh no no no...Pretti....if you were the first one up, you'd be in charge of cooking breakfast. And we'd all wake up to the smell of coffee, bacon frying, and pancakes. (bacon...cuz we're in a fantasy here, and nothing's bad for us in fantasyland). :cute:

I used to love camping when my kids were younger (and I was too), and you'd lay in your sleeping bag and listen to the sounds of the campgroup waking up....the birds chirping...and the sounds and smells of someone cooking breakfast...and you'd lay there in your sleeping bag relaxing and taking it all in. And if you layed there long enough, someone else would cook breakfast and all you'd have to do is get up and eat. Ok...now we're in my fantasyland.

I miss those days so much...when my husband and I used to plan huge group campouts with our group of friends from high school. We'd all go to the beach for 5 days and rent a big group campsite, and we'd play all day on the beach, flying kites and building sandcastles and playing touch football...and then in the evening we'd sit around the campfire and roast marshmellows with our kids and tell funny stories and ghost stories too! And then when the kids were tucked in, all the adults would play poker and have a few beers and laughs. We used to have so much fun.

Ah....such great memories.

Oh, and Mountain....if someone forgot their sleeping bag...we'd just snuggle up together for warmth....and if someone was in a flare...wouldn't they feel better just being with people who care and could help them through it? I know, I would.

Thanks for joining me in my fantasy....I'm feeling better already!

Fondly,

mountaindreamer
04-06-2009, 08:44 PM
oh, 100%absolutely..how comforting it would be to be in a flare while camping with friends...i did not make myself clear, but i was referring to brain fog making us forget sleeping bags and etc. it was supposed to be funny, but i guess the joke is on me because i blew it.

your camping memors sound like being in heaven...how much fun you all must have had. i have a little pop up camper, and i love to listen to the campgroun wake up in the morning to the sound of the birds, the rise of the sun, the lifting of the fog, sigh, what memories.

it would be wonderful to share this with those on the forum.

Rastagirl
04-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Hey, Phyllis...I got the joke...I just didn't make myself clear...if some of us Lupies had brain fog and forgot the necessities of camping...it wouldn't matter...we'd have a good laugh and find a way to have fun anyway.

And, hey, there's always the boyscout trick...I'm sure somebody would remember how to rub two sticks together to start our campfire.....In fact, I'll just bet Rob was a boyscout...he'd have a campfire for us in no time.

And, if not, you're right....just to sit under the stars, laughing and having fun with good friends would work too.

Take care.......

sick n tired
04-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks Lori...I will be waiting for ya'll to come...

I used to camp all the time. I loved it. I taught water skiing when I got older and also taught red cross swimming...Every year when it started to get warmer we were out for hours water skiing...getting up early, the glassy look of a lake untouched...flying along....such freedom and such skill....I used to say I was born in the water...I didn't really like canooing but I loved sailing...the feeling of freedom, the warm son and wind on your face, the swishing of the vessell as it rushed through the water...the smells....feeling that all is peaceful in the world if for just a little while...being able to put all troubles behind.

I also loved camping in the fall..crisp air, seeing your breath, smell of campfire, singing around it and hearing all the night sounds...hiking in the mountains, the beautiful vistas as well as the happy, tired, but satisfied feeling that night knowing you persevered and were rewarded for your effort.....

I would love to do some of that again.

Rastagirl
04-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Oh, man, Karen....you just painted a picture so vivid with your words...I could almost feel it all...what joy your water skiing must have brought you.

That just brought me a moment's joy.....just by reading your words.

I know it's hard sometimes when we think back on (I couldn't spell reminisce right there, so subbed 'think back on') :) the things we used to be able to do...and wish for them longingly. And, of course, there are all the things that we'll never get to do now with Lupus, but I still hold dear ALL my memories of the treasured things I did get to do......that's what keeps my plugging along, day after day, putting up with all the crap this illness throws our way. When it gets to be too much, and it's causing me misery, I travel away in my mind... back to a wonderful memory that I can relive.

Thanks for joining us and sharing, Karen.

Hope a restful night's sleep will come to you tonight.........

Sweet dreams,

Lori :heart:

froggal
04-07-2009, 12:10 AM
I cannot sleep and thought I would log on and see what was new. I am so glad that I did. What a relaxing way to take away my pain . . . reading all of your memories of the wonderful outdoors. I used to spend my summers in Glacier National Park in Montana when I was a kid. All of your memories sure take me back. Thank you all for sharing all of those thoughts. Definately took my mind off the pain for awhile, but better yet, took me back to childhood memories that I just realized I need to think about more often!! Pretty darn cool!!

froggal
04-07-2009, 12:13 AM
I forgot to thank you for the awesome recipe!! I too will be trying it! Lets see the best I can do with lemons . . . When life hands you lemons, stuff em in your bra!! Couldnt hurt, might help!! (I cant remember where I read that)

mountaindreamer
04-07-2009, 08:35 AM
thanks froggal, even though i am having such a difficult time, you made me laugh out loud....glad you are here.

sickntired,,,i too used to hit the lake very early in the morning and ski on the glass (undisturbed water). it was the most perfect way to start a day.

cptnblah
04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Froggle...some of us are guys here...we do not wear bras. LOL I just bumped this up again yesterday and look at how much fun everyone is having. I bet everyone is forgetting about the darned pain that you are enduring while typing. I was planning on opening my boats up over the weekend...Guess what? Sundaynight there was about 3" of that darned white stuff on my porch. I am glad that I did not feel good enough to uncover them.

Happy Typing!!!

Rastagirl
04-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Seriously.....Snow? :wacko:

That won't work for boating.........

Well, lets hope when it's time for the boat to come out...you'll be feelin' better and up to the task.

Meanwhile, you can think of your great boating memories from last season....

Take care,

wrightrs
04-07-2009, 06:10 PM
That's neat I didn't know you could get recipes here.:laugh: I love recipes.:yes: