PDA

View Full Version : I Overdid the Exercises

DrinkofWtr
03-23-2009, 08:06 AM
My arms have felt so weak lately that I decided I had to do something about it. My boyfriend has a free weight set so he fashioned together a dumbell set for my arms,just light weights. Unfortunately, I got carried away and overexercised my arms and legs. Now my neck hurts again and he thinks I may have aggreviated the whiplash I have had in the past. Anyway, yesterday I hurt all over. I took the only pain killer I had, some extra-strength Tynenol and I put the equivalent of BenGay on my neck and shoulders and tried to get some sleep last night. Fortunately, I feel a little better today, although I am still hurting.

The point is, I try to do something to better myself and it always seems to backfire in my face. Like I know I need to walk more, start dieting, eat better, stop smoking clove cigarettes, etc. I guess, I just need to slow down and do a little at a time. I need to remember that Rome was not built in a day and I am not going to solve all problems instantenously.

Saysusie
03-23-2009, 12:32 PM
It is normal for us to want to start doing something good for ourselves and then, in our zealousness, overdoing it a bit. When we go slowly, we don't feel as if we are accomplishing anything. But, we actually do accomplish more when we start slowly and build up. We are able to build up our endurance and our strength that way (as opposed to causing damage and having a set back after our first try:nah:) That has happened to many of us (including me).
Don't beat yourself up too much about this, you are in good company here. Just remember, when you recover from this, start much more slowly, with fewer reps and only three times/week. You can build up to heavier weights, more reps and even 5-7 times/week. But take it slow:cute:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

mountaindreamer
03-23-2009, 04:03 PM
hi drinkofwtr,

for 10 years, i owned a personal training business, and was in the gym 7 days a week 10-12 hours a day. i know the value of exercise, but i can't do it. i keep my gym membership, and sometimes try, but have not worked out since 1996. I have successfully lifted weights for no more than 15-20 minutes. I worked only one muscle group, with 1 to 2 exercises, and only 1 or 2 sets of each, and extended rest between sets. this is nothing, but it did a number on me. i have not even successfully completed a gentle water arerobics class.

please, please, please be careful. we are much more likely to injure ourselves when our body is tired, hurt, or weak.