PDA

View Full Version : Numb finger, what the heck????

sits_inthe_corner
03-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Okay, here's one for ya.

It's very cold and damp here today. I went out to run some erronds. I was going in to the pharmacy (my last stop) when the long finger on my right hand suddenly went completely numb.

All the colour was gone from it. Completely drained of colour right up to the knuckle. I showed it to the pharmasits. She said that happens to some people with a particular condition when the weather is cold, but she couldn't remember the name of it.

I was freaking out. Still a little freaked; that's never happened to me before. When I got home I decided to do the dishes and see if the warm water could get the blood flow back. It did phew!

Has this happened to anyone else here?

I will mention this to my doctor and if it happens again in the near future I'll get my butt in asap.

Might not hurt to take a picture of it as well.

Oluwa
03-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Would that be Raynauds?

sick n tired
03-19-2009, 03:33 PM
yeah...I totally agree with Oluwa and the pharmacist...as that was the name that the pharmacist was trying to think of, Raynaulds...

KATROACH1972
03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi, I agree with the others. I have Raynauds. Alot of people with autoimmune diseases do. I think alot of its due to poor circulation, vaso constriction makes it turn weird colors and numbness. Mine is to the point that I wake up with both hands asleep and purple. ugh! Hope this helped. Kathy

sits_inthe_corner
03-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks Oluwa, Kathy and sick n tired,

Guess it's off to the doctor's. I have an appointment with the rhuemy May 19th, but I'll see my family doctor next week. Oh joy.

The colour is back to normal now, but it still feels weird. The feeling is back, but it's not quite right.

Oluwa
03-19-2009, 07:42 PM
You're welcome, SITC..lovely to see you about the forum...

Doing alright?

HUgs..
Love,
Oluwa

sick n tired
03-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Are you with the same bug eyed Rheumo? :Eyecrazy: The one who just sits there and stares? :shocked: Perhaps he will break the silence with these latest autoimmune symptoms...

Faith
03-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi Sits,

I agree. It's Raynaud's Syndrome. I have it in my hands and feet. I wear triple layers in the colder weather along with boots (I am in California) and most would think I am in the arctic lol.

I am almost thinking of stocking up on those heat packs that stay warm for 24 hours for snow skiers as they would be great for the hands and feet.

Don't give up until you have answers.

Faith

sits_inthe_corner
03-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Yep sick n tired,

I'm still with stink face :)

It will be interesting to see what she has to say about the numb finger. My toes have gone numb for brief periods, but they have never drained of colour.

Faith careful with those hot packs, I know they are tempting but remember you have reduced blood flow and are easily burned.

Hugs all and thanks again for the responses.

Faith
03-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi Sits,

Thank you for the reminder of getting burned. Forgot about that. I hope you get some definite answers this time. I am sorry to hear you are with the same rhuemy. Can you get someone else? I am not familiar with the healthcare system there.

Take care,

Faith

sick n tired
03-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Well maybe this time...ole' stink face will do something out of the ordinary like...oh I don't know...like his job maybe...I know, I know it is a stretch, but its possible the miraculous will happen and he will open his mouth and actually diagnose something...

well we can dream can't we?:cute: lol

No really...the hope is that stinky does just that..

mountaindreamer
03-21-2009, 11:55 AM
hey SNT,

good luck with your dr. visit....maybe you should be as blunt as she is, and tell her to straighten up and help you.

wouldn't that be nice....oh well, we can dream right?

sits_inthe_corner
03-24-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm not feeling very assertive these days.

I've been meaning to make an appointment to get into see my family doctor, but I just cant seem to make myself. Stupid I know.

I've the blues.

Even though I got a call today for an interview, part of me was YAH! But another part was oh poop, here we go again.

I just cant get out of my own way right now, hope I perk up before the interview.

I've not had a repeat of numbness or draining colour, but I'm so freaking cold all the time.

Sigh, spring is right around the corner....right?

mountaindreamer
03-24-2009, 03:03 PM
hey sitc,

yes, spring is so very close, hope you can get warm and stay that way.

sorry the blues are attacking your

best of luck on the interview. when do you go? i will send extra energy angels your way.

Danica01
03-25-2009, 01:21 AM
SITC,

I laughed so hard when you called your doctor stink face! I am not a fan of my new rheumy but I promised Tim I would give her a chance.......I really hope you get some answers. I agree with everyone else on what your finger is doing......I am sure stink will tell you the same thing, or he will just stare at you! I am in Arizona and it is very warm and has been all winter.......I will send the sun over your way to warm your air and hands!!!!! Hang in there and the blues will pass when the sun and flowers come back again.......it is normal! Just keep your head up and good luck in your interview, you will do fine! If they don't love you on the spot then poo on them!!!!!