PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D Toxic

KHoguetuc
03-18-2009, 12:33 AM
I keep getting different info on the web about vitamin D toxicity. My doctor started me on (exact prescription label) Take 1-50,000 IU Tablets 4 times per week. This was about two months ago. Right after the first one I got the worst headache of my life. About three days later, after the headache was gone, I took another with the same results. I took me until about a week ago to take those original eight pills. When I called in my prescription refill using the prescription number, something strange happened. I noticed when I got home that this bottle says to take 1- 50,000 IU tablet two times per week. I did notice that when I picked up the first bottle the pharmacist gave the bottle a strange look when releasing it to me. Maybe the first one was mislabeled. It really makes little difference as far as my headaches go. The lower dose is still giving me headaches.

mountaindreamer
03-18-2009, 06:38 AM
hi kh

i take vitamin d, but my dr. has me taking calcium with vit. d. sorry, i can't answer your question...i am sure someone will be along who has experience/knowledge, and can help you.

i would definitely call my dr. about the dosage discrepancy....or maybe your pharmacist can provide assistance.

Larz77
03-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Interestingly, I got the headaches when I first started the 50,000mgs, although they eased up and I don't seem to get them as bad now. As far as dosage, I haven't seen dosage that aggressive. When they first started me and I was pretty low (I was 15 with 25 being the low end of that test) they started me with 50,000mg's once a week. Then they had me taking 1000mg per day. I now have gotten myself to the low end of what is good for you, but still am "deficient" per the doctor. So they started me again at 50,000, but every other week.

I would definitely follow up with the doctor. I guess the question is how long they have you doing it. Your body can probably handle it for a couple weeks at that dosage without any problem.

Larz

karenboss
03-20-2009, 12:07 PM
why did dr rx vit D? My dr refused to dx me w/ Lupus but presribed 50,000 u vit d at 1x week - no explaination presription came in the mail a few days after appointment.

I have a weak positive ANA and weak positive dsDNA and light symptoms.

I have not noticed any affect, ill or otherwise from the high dose vit D -

jenniferlynn
03-20-2009, 04:02 PM
I am on that same dose but only once per week. I have never heard of it being written for more than once per week...my vitamin D is also really really low.

KHoguetuc
03-20-2009, 11:08 PM
The vitamin D was prescribed because I had a D reading of 14. I live in Tucson AZ. This is in the top 4 of the sunniest places on earth. As you know, the sun is where D comes from. I moved from Cleveland Ohio to Tucson because the cold, wet, polluted air there was causing me to have 9-12 lung infections of pnemonia and bronchitis every year. That was 16 years ago. Now I get 2-3 bouts a year and pleurisy often. I am afraid that when I go back to the doc in April my reading won't have changed.

jenniferlynn
03-22-2009, 05:43 AM
Oh dear! I sure hope you are feeling better soon. Sending hugs your way!

AyahsClan
03-22-2009, 07:54 AM
As I was reading this thread a doctor of Fox news was talking about vit D. He recomends 1000 iu a day. I take 800 iu a day. I haven't been tested for it. Are there specific symptoms if you need more?

Danica01
03-24-2009, 03:45 AM
I love your story here!!!!! I am in Phoenix and grew up in Columbus, Ohio!!!!! I am also struggling with my vitamin D levels and the doctor keeps pushing more and more into my system.........I take a few tablets in the morning and a chewable one with calcium at night. I asked my doctor how I could possibly have a low count when I think we live in the sunniest place in the United States! I am outside a lot and I just don't get it......I just find the whole thing kind of ironic.:)

The vitamin D was prescribed because I had a D reading of 14. I live in Tucson AZ. This is in the top 4 of the sunniest places on earth. As you know, the sun is where D comes from. I moved from Cleveland Ohio to Tucson because the cold, wet, polluted air there was causing me to have 9-12 lung infections of pnemonia and bronchitis every year. That was 16 years ago. Now I get 2-3 bouts a year and pleurisy often. I am afraid that when I go back to the doc in April my reading won't have changed.

abbasgirl
04-11-2009, 09:14 PM
I keep finding different info too. I'm new here. Hi. My rheumy wants me to take 50000 IU once a week. She said I was a 7. I've been scared to start that high dosage, but now I'm really shaking. Lol. I hate headaches. I have them all the time and don't want to take something that may make it worse. Worse always sends me to the ER for pain control. I'm interested to know more too. My rheumy says you can't over do it on D, but I don't know.

bamagirl
04-15-2009, 12:43 PM
I was just reading the threads about the vitamin d that everyone is talking
about, and just wanted to put my experience out there too.
My rhumey done blood work and mine came back a (4) and the normal "quote" is 32-100, so he has me on 50,000 twice a week for 3 months
and then he will do a repeat test, plus a calcium w D every night.
My sister D level done this a few years ago when she started going thur
menopause and she developed ostoperosis (really badly) so seeing first hand
what a low level will do too your body, I will take what i can to try a
keep my bones as strong as i can. the dr. said that if your vitamin d is
very low it will pull the calcuim out of your bones...
Just wanted to chime in on this one...Hope everyone is doing ok
and had a wonderful holiday weekend, where i live we had tornados and
lots of damage all around us but thankfully all we had were some limbs
and debris in the yard.
Later,
Pam

abbasgirl
04-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi...I talked to my doctor about this at my last appointment and he said I really need to get my levels up, but we should start out at a lower dose. He's afraid of vitamin d poisoning based on his own experience with it. He has me taking 1000 IU and said we need to watch my d levels closely.

I still don't know what to think but I guess it can't hurt to go at it slower. For myself.

wrightrs
04-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Vitamin D can be toxic if you take to much! I don't know the amounts though. You would need to ask you doctor. My Grandmother got very sick from to much vitamin D. And it was prescribed by her Doctor.

abbasgirl
04-23-2009, 10:13 PM
One more opinion I got about this was from my hematologist this week.

She said since my level is so low, (a 7), that there is no way I could get in trouble taking the 50000 IU. She said she thinks I should take it because it's so low and we'll keep an eye on the levels and go down when we need to. I plan to start mine in a few days...or once I get past whatever kind of head pain I'm already having this week. Just in case I do get a headache from it, I don't want to add to this pain.

mountaindreamer
04-24-2009, 05:08 AM
my rheumy has me on vit d injections. I take 1 mm once a week. I inquired about increasing the dosage, and she said this is the max that can safely be taken, so she did not increase.

abbasgirl
05-16-2009, 02:58 PM
I took my vitamin D today. So far so good. A little nausea.

I did some searching and found a site that says if you have lupus you shouldn't take vitamin D. :huh:

The site is here..
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/altmed/altmed-mono.aspx?contentFileName=ame0393.xml&contentName=Vitamin+D+&contentId=549

I don't know how to post a link.

Now, that's the first I've ever read or heard that one. It's under the heading Warnings. Has anyone heard that before?

abbasgirl
05-16-2009, 03:02 PM
well, i didn't know it but i did post a link. ha ha.

brandichi
05-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Wow, I've never heard that before. I've been on vitamin D supplements since shortly after I was diagnosed. I don't remember what my level was, but both my primary doctor and my rheumy said I need to get my levels up. I take 2 Calcium +D supplents every morning, and one of those Viactive chews at night. My rheumy said on Friday that she wants my level to be at least 50 and I'm going for blood work this coming Friday to see where I am with it and everything else.

ButterflyRN
05-17-2009, 08:36 PM
I am vit D deficient and I take an Rx of 50,000 IU per week. I would question any dosage higher than that.

abbasgirl
05-22-2009, 09:13 AM
So no one has heard that one either? Hmm. I'll put it on the list to ask my primary. I've never heard of that before and wonder why they didn't explain why.

50,000 seems so high to me and spooky, but so far I'm tolerating it okay. I take another dose tomorrow... and I'm feeling a little scared about adding more. Lol. Ugh, I guess I'm just a big chicken!

brandichi, how did the appt go today?

CanadianMama
08-09-2009, 08:10 AM
I am surprised that your doctors prescribed such a high dose to begin with.

Mine prescribed D-Drops, available over the counter. Which contain 1000iu per drop. I am taking 4 drops/day.

I have seen a huge decrease in my symptoms in the past 8 weeks.

My d level was 45 with the optimal level supposed to be 80-100. I go back next month for a d re-test and a retest of my sed-rate, ANA and Liver enzymes.

Jewelz
08-09-2009, 09:21 PM
HI

I'm low on VitD too. I take 50,000iu's once a week also. It's never given me a headache. I"ve been low for several years now - can't get it over 39. There is some connection between low VitD and immune diseases; I don't throughly understand the connection, however.

CanadianMama - you guys sure have alot of different stuff that we don't have in the states....and I'm sure vice-versa. I don't recall ever hearing or seeing D-Drops. So, it seems as though you are getting 4,000IU's per day then. Interesting......

Jewelz

CanadianMama
08-15-2009, 02:54 PM
One thing we've just gotten that was only available by prescription was Naproxen (Aleve). It has been very helpful to me when I have tough days.

I think the pharmaceutical industry has more control over the nutritional supplement industry in the US, so it can be more difficult to get natural things there than here. Mind you, we are headed in that direction.

Try ordering them online!

Regarding the super high dosage of vitamin d... why do doctors always try and push things so hard?? It is like they are making up for lost time. The RDA in Canada is between 400-1000iu... many people don't get that much, and because we are more North than you all, we NEED supplementation...but nobody's body is going to absorb 1000 times the RDA easily without side effects... and who the heck wants a headache when your feet/ankles/wrists and back are hurting?

crmj1183
08-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Vitamin D can make you sick????
what?? I think Im confused as to waht you ladies are talking about. Or are you guys talking about a rx of vitamin d???

cherokee993
09-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Strange! my dose when I was put on it was one 50,000 pill ONCE a week x 4 weeks. I am wondering if your med was mislabeled! Sorry!

CanadianMama
09-16-2009, 11:25 AM
The maximum therapeutic daily dose is 50000iu do NOT do this yourself, only under the supervision of a doctor). Many people have a lot of side effects at this high of a dose and many of their doctors do not tell them to take a Cal/mag supplement with it.

I have had a lot of success taking vitamin d, omega 3, 6, 9 fatty acids and antioxidants. I feel it when I miss a day or two.