PDA

View Full Version : Urine...

Oluwa
03-17-2009, 09:06 PM
From time to time my urine to me had a peculiar odor, even on a occasion my husband would comment, oooh honey... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-toilet15.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)and I would feel offended. 'Gee, well, well, I can't help it, sorry...it is Lupus, my drugs...and what are you doing in the loo closet with me anyway...close the door...'

It smelled like that of mild cabbage, sulfur. Even had a green tinge. I thought the change in color was from my blue pill.....Lasix, Lunesta or the newest Deplin...blue + yellow makes green. But the timing, the dosing didn't correlate today.

Times I went for urinalysis...and came back with nothing, like on the 12th I had lab work. Wondering are they missing something...my kidneys., what?

Was strong today, was strong yesterday....hummm..

I googled sulfur urine...who knew asparagus. I roared... :laugh-floor:

I've been eating asparagus on and off for the last several weeks...excellent buy at Publix...2.99 lb.

Last night I poached chicken with asparagus and rutabagas...I stunk.
For dinner tonight, left overs...I stink...

That stink brought me to the PC to google...

Mystery Diagnosis... solved...

BonusMom
03-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Where would we be without the miracle of Google?

Glad that you solved the stinky mystery (and I bet DH is too!)

tasha
03-17-2009, 11:24 PM
haha... this made me laugh.

about a day after my renal biopsy i noticed that my urine had a pretty strong reddish hugh to it and i started FREAKING OUT. i seriously thought i was going to have a panic attack. bloody urine is a sign of complications from the procedure...

then i remembered that i had eaten beets the day before. you will not BELIEVE how relieved i felt...

mountaindreamer
03-18-2009, 06:33 AM
great story, Oluwa,

asparagus.....who would have thought. thanks for the giggle to start the day.

sits_inthe_corner
03-18-2009, 12:19 PM
:) Oluwa...I'm really glad I swallowed my juice before I read your post lol

I really hate shooting juice out my nose and the monitor gets soooo sticky.

Funny once you said it was the asparagus a light went on in my memory files. I actually had known that before but forgot about it.

Thanks for returning my lost memory file.

By the way...there's a new product on the market. I can't remember what it's called. But you put a drop of in the toilet water before you ummmm you know number one in asparagus eating person's cases or number 2. It's supposed to suppress oders. Just makes me wonder if we really need to be flushing anything else chemical down the toilet.

You might want to tell your hubby about it. In case he's looking to surprise you with a little gift :)

sick n tired
03-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Oluwa...how hilarious :-)

Isn't it nice to find a normal reason for the smell? I have also noticed if I drink coffee, the smell is a bit different, too. :-)

Years ago I was wondering why my daughter had a pecular color in her feces...it was bright candy apple green...almost animated. This was in the summer. I also went as far as having it biopsied but nothing was found. This was before google...so one day my mother was reading in one of her nursing journals and called me. Grape kool aide/ or grape jello causes the color change. :-)

Oluwa
03-18-2009, 02:03 PM
I wonder if I ate Limburger cheese, would my pee smell like rotten feet...

I too am elated I found out the cause, because I would worry when the lab found nothing...wondering, was a mistake made..my kidney's inflamed, UTI?

I wonder why the doctor didn't have a clue when I said it smells like sulfurish last week..I get the usual no one is home, who are you..do I know you stare...

No green or sulfur smelling urine today...something so little, to know why is a weight lifted off my mind..I feel good...woohooo..

Hugs and love,
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
03-18-2009, 04:27 PM
If you drink too much ginger ale, your poop turns green....just sayN.

Angel Oliver
03-18-2009, 04:36 PM
:) so funny. Ok what if your wee smells of boiled onions? Any ideas? I dont eat onions? Corr bet i sound right sexy now!:no:

Oluwa
03-18-2009, 05:40 PM
A.O.

Boiled? Not fried onion rings... I just found this...

Controlling urine odor
Increases odor: Asparagus, onions, garlic, fish
Decreases odor: Eight to 10 glasses of water, cranberry juice or other noncaffeinated beverages daily

L.,
O.

Angel Oliver
03-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Well i drink water all day n decaf tea. Yes i know how weird boiled. Im just grateful no added burger in there with it :) Im gonna have a look on google as well. Thanks.xxxx

Faith
03-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Oluwa,

That was hilarious; thank you for sharing it.

Faith

Oluwa
03-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Happy you all enjoyed...wonder how many of us wondered, worried why our pee was strong and it was just fooooooooood.

I never ever though of it being food...something so simple. I know even less than I thought about the digestive tract and plumbing...

SITC...really green dookies from ginger ale?

sits_inthe_corner
03-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Yep Oluwa

If you are ever really really bored, give it a try :)

sick n tired
03-19-2009, 04:10 PM
LOL...:-) SITC.....now we know two things to change the color of the poop....if you don't want to try Ginger Ale..then Grape koolaid is the next idea/ :-)