PDA

View Full Version : Spf

ashleybaby715
03-13-2009, 05:07 AM
hm...summer will be starting soon, and i was wondering, what SPF's do you guys use? the highest in stores i've seen was 70. i have like 45 and stuff at my house, because we had a trip to cancun mexico this past summer, and we figured we would need it down there! lol:laugh:

Grime
03-13-2009, 05:46 AM
Here on the Texas coast I've been using spf 50 but plan on going to spf 70 and higher if I can find one higher than 70. Wal Mart carries Coppertone SPF 70 for just under $10.00 Lot cheaper than the Total Block @ $26.00

Any negative feed back on the Coppertone would be appreciated.

rob
03-13-2009, 06:17 AM
I use SPF50. The UV isn't that intense here in Maine, so I find the 50 works well. I've been to Cabo San Lucas and Mexico City before, and the sun/UV is really harsh and intense. Go with the highest SPF you can find and afford.

sits_inthe_corner
03-13-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm a shadow hugger myself. Like Rob I'm in the north, so I usually have a 45 on.

DrinkofWtr
03-13-2009, 08:24 AM
I like the SPF 30 and I try not to stay out in the sun too long. I wear a hat and bring a huge beach umbrella to stab in the sand, besides all the other paraphenalia. The sun here in California can be intense, so best to keep it short.

Grime
03-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I found a EPA site that give the UV for each Zip code. It also has a 4 day to help plan your outings.

http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/uvindex.html

I hope it was ok to post the link.

lucky7
03-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi Ashley!! I agree with Rob, just go the highest you can! MAke sure its reapplied as needed cuz my dr. says almost all sunscreens no matter what the type or level wear away after 2 -3 hrs if your in direct sun, working up a sweat or swimming of course.

Lather up!!!! LOl

ashleybaby715
03-13-2009, 05:49 PM
thanks guyys!!
yeahh since i've just been diagnosed, im not really sure how the sun will affect me. but it was really sunny and pretty warm today, and being out in it for a while, i felt good :) i've missed the sun. [[def not a snow person!!]] haha

but i guess summer is different, soo i guess i'll have to wait and see. but yeah i've actually seen the coppertone 70. i think i'll get that !
&& yupp, i'll be sure to re-apply!!

Angel Oliver
03-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Yes id say a high one and reapply. I live in Manchester UK.....we dont get sun that often :)

sick n tired
03-13-2009, 10:44 PM
I used to use the highest spf I could find at the supermarket, but last summer and fall I started getting this brownish/ sort of reddish stuff growing on my cheeks and jaw and then went down on my neck...I was about to go and have it biopsied when a started in a huge flare and was put on a high dosage of prednisone...and it is gone!!!
But I digress...sorry...when this stuff started forming on me, my doc gave me(rather sold me) something called
Skinceuticals...sport UV Defense spf 45...( I was playing on a tennis league at the time with other women many of whom have autoimmune something or other)
Anyhoo...here is Texas the sun can be brutal...so the higher the better.:cute:

Saysusie
03-14-2009, 08:35 AM
I live in SoCal in the High Desert where the sun and the summers can be arrid (3 digits for months). I use SPF 65 that I get from a sporting goods store.
Last summer, I posted a thread listing some of the best sunscreens. I will try to find that thread and post it again.....wish me luck 'cuz on this new site, it may be quite a challenge to find it :wacko:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie