PDA

View Full Version : Below normal test results

Tau
03-11-2009, 01:27 PM
I've been suffering from a variety of complaints for a while, and have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease, PCOS and insulin resistance so far. I still don't feel any better.

Recently, I've started presenting a butterfly-like rash - albeit mild. My PCP gave me a very thorough battery of tests and a referral to a rheumatologist for later this month.

Most of the tests had to be sent out, and won't come back for a couple of weeks, but a few of the basics had results today.

Most everything was normal. My WBC and related tests were high, but I could be fighting something off.

The two results that were really puzzling were my ALT (SGPT) and my CK (CPK). Both were well below normal.

ALT <3 range = 9-52
CK 24 range = 30-135

Both tests seem to be related to myositis, and elevated levels are the real concern. I've googled like mad, however, and cannot find anything to explain what below normal levels could mean.

Anyone have any ideas?

Silentscream
03-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I may not be in a position to give opinions, but let me say the little I have learned it, wait until all the tests come back even then it is only the beginning. More tests, more question.
best of luck

sick n tired
03-11-2009, 10:11 PM
I agree with silentscream...the tests may be able to tell more of the story...I know that different labs have different ranges and one are that I was reading having to do with the CK test said that women can have lower results...
But the lower CK... could be related to drinking, Rheumatoid Arthritis ...the rest of the tests could tell the story. You are only seeing part of the story. Docs will be able to evaluate all tests. If it doesn't say that there is a problem for your results being a little lower then the doctor would know.

I wouldn't be concerned about the lowered ALT, either. In order to establish reference ranges, labs draw blood and run tests on people near them. The lab comes up with reference ranges for specific tests based on what the values are for the majority of the people tested. Some people might test just below what is called normal, while others might naturally test higher than what is called normal. This could be what is going on in your case with both tests, and it doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with you.

Another thing that might happen is that you might just end up with a (slightly) lower or higher test result for a day or two. You might be perfectly healthy in this case too.