PDA

View Full Version : Sun and Lupus

plunk656
03-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Hello, I am still not sure if I have lupus yet. My question to everyone is, When you get out into the sun, how do you know if it is affecting you? Does your skin turn red really fast? Does it burn? How long does it tend to last? Any information would be great.

I almost forgot, Are there anymore diseases that you all can think of that mimic Lupus in this reguard? Thanks!

mountaindreamer
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
hi plunk656

When i get in the sun, i feel my face burning within a few minutes. I mostly get reaction on my face, and not other parts of my body. My face feels like someone is holding a magnifying glass that is pointing the sun directly on to my cheeks. Then, my face is very red for several days....

I am not aware of another disease that includes the malar rash.

sarahp
03-10-2009, 01:55 AM
Hi there, This is what the sun did to my skin last year on a holiday to Greece:hissyfit:
I am not sure whether it was caused by the lupus or something else but i do know that it has only happened to my skin since i have had Lupus !

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w271/littleposers/P1020412-1.jpg

Lov Sarah x

ashleybaby715
03-10-2009, 04:52 AM
hi.
uhm, i have SLE [[lupus]]
&& as far as i know, the sun hasnt affected me at all yet.
thankgod. because i wouldnt be able to not be out in the sun, the sun is like my life.
and as far as i know, there isnt any other disease that has the symptom of a malar rash.

i wish you the best!
and remember, use sunscreen! :cute:

Saysusie
03-10-2009, 04:58 AM
While I do not get a lot of manifestations of sun exposure on my skin...I get terrible internal after-effects! I become extremely nauseous, my muscles ache and my joints swell up, I became so fatigued that I am disabled and my skin feels like it is on fire (even though there is no physical redness or rashes). All of these effects from one sun exposure can last for 1-2 weeks!
So, are you sure that you have no ill effects from the sun? Just because you do not see physical effects, think about how you feel after sun exposure. At any rate, always protect yourself when you are in the sun. Use lots of sunscreen with UV and UVB blockage with a minimum SPF of 35. Wear protective clothing, sunglasses and a hat! It is always better to err on the side of caution.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

ashleybaby715
03-10-2009, 05:02 AM
thats one thing, im sure that i have had to affects lol.
the sun actually makes me feel better [[which is ironic cuz its supposed to do the opposite]]
i still always use high SPF sunscreen.
i kind of cant avoid being in the sun thats forsure, because i work outside, at the zoo :)

rob
03-10-2009, 07:35 AM
I get very visible redness, but I'm very fair skinned and that's to be expected. The really bad effect for me is the feeling of having the worst case of the flu I've ever had. I get fever, chills, sweats, headache, and an opressive fatigue thats like having a lead blanket thrown over me. It happens about 2 hours after only 15 minutes of exposure, like clockwork. I end up in a flare from hell that seems to never end. I never, ever go anywhere without my bottle of spf 50 and my boonie hat. I don't go places where there is no shade available. Even with sunscreen, sleeves, and hat, I still strategically stick to any and all shade available.