PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for seeing my Rheumy, tips?

cherokee993
03-09-2009, 03:06 PM
I see my Rheumy on Wednesday for the first time since December when she suggested I think about Imuran or Methotrexate. I have done some thinking and some reading and I'm scared of both but I think I might try the M. I don't know. I'm going to ask her more about it.

I'm trying to create a list of some symptoms I am having that I wonder if they are related to this disease or not. I'm going to share my list here.

- Fingers pale, numb and cold at intervals
- Knee’s giving out occasionally
- Joint swelling, joint pain
- All over body aches
- muscle cramps/charlie horses
- Major dental issues
- Exhaustion – can we try a b-12 injection
- Sore, irritated and itchy eyes, sore skin around the eyes
- Memory loss, short term mostly, brain fog, blanking in the middle of sentences
- Anxiety and depression - going to talk to her about lexapro, working wonders for my friend, maybe an option, dunno.

So its a long list LOL! Any other tips/suggestions?
Is it crazy for me to be so afraid of these meds? But seriously I need something that will help with the joint pain and all the other symptoms.

Grime
03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
If you don't mind me asking. What causes the joint pain? Is it due to the lack of lubricant in the joint?

cherokee993
03-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't know the specifics but its Rheumatoid Arthritis related joint pain. Stinks!

Angel Oliver
03-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Hey thats a good list there well done.The more info the better.Do you have headaches or sleep problems if so mention it too. Try not to worry.I know its easy for me to say as i am not on that medication.I am sure many people will support and advice you soon about that med. Just go in there and tell him as it is.You need help and fast!!

I'll be thinking of you and sending you gentle hugs.Great list!!

love
Angel.xxx

cherokee993
03-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Oh yeah I have those too, thanks Angel! Yes I get headaches almost daily, some are pretty bad to the point of maybe a beginer migraine. And sleeping, I have to take benadryl 50mg every night to sleep. And I still don't stay asleep, the joint aches wake me up as well as my back, but I will always have back issues, I've had two back surgeries.

Grime
03-09-2009, 07:11 PM
I was just wondering.

mountaindreamer
03-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi amy, i am glad that you got your list made up.....did you think back for any symtoms that you had in the past, but maybe are not present today.?

My dr. is encouraging me to start methotrexate, also. I am scared of it, but I would like to keep prednisone dosage as low as possible. I understand methotrexate can help with this. I see my dr. at end of month....we will keep each other posted, and help each other with decision.

Also, Grime, it is my understanding that joint pain is because the antibodies are attacking bone, tissue, etc. Also, prednisone can damage joints.

phyllis

Grime
03-10-2009, 05:37 AM
Also, Grime, it is my understanding that joint pain is because the antibodies are attacking bone, tissue, etc. Also, prednisone can damage joints.

Thanks Phyllis

ashleybaby715
03-11-2009, 04:57 AM
heyy!
i take methotrexate.
so far it has worked pretty well.
i actually could lower my prednisone from 40 mg to 30 mg since being on methotrexate.
and hopefully, we can keep lowering the prednisone.
if you dont like methotrexate, you could try cellcept [[spelling?]] because my rheumy said that if methotrexate doesnt work, that we could try that.

tiggerlishus - Heidi
03-11-2009, 05:35 AM
thanks for writing that list helps me i got to write one for monday too!! they just put me on prednisone and have mention methotrexate but seeing how the concoction i am on is going to work interesting your on 30mg ashleybaby they only started me on 15 and it only works for couple of hours soo maybe higher does will help i find out monday if i need to go see a neurolgist soo should be interesting!! thanks for the thread xxx

cherokee993
03-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Unfortunately I can't take the predisnose at all for any length of time b/c of my diabetes, it causes my blood sugars to stay over 500 daily (norm is below 140).

But it sure did help when I was on it before! But maybe one of the othe rmeds will help without hurting.