PDA

View Full Version : What to ask the 2nd opinion Dr.

Silentscream
03-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Being the well meaning but overbearing pain in the butt father, (can't help myself) I have made arrangements for a 2nd opinion for my kid. This one is with a very qualified Dr. out of town.
I was wondering what questions I should ask.
I'll bring all the blood work, although except for the ANA are perfectly normal.
Just wondering if I missed anything.
Any suggestions?
Is there any one test that is more definitive for lupus then another?

I must admit there may be a chance on my part that I am still seeking a different diagnosis. Not fair to my child I know but should I base her future on one persons judgment.

karenboss
03-09-2009, 03:30 PM
how is your child feeling?

Silentscream
03-09-2009, 03:37 PM
how is your child feeling?

swelling in ankles better, lower back pain and fatigue. Had three days of discomfort on deep breaths.

cherokee993
03-09-2009, 03:41 PM
swelling in ankles better, lower back pain and fatigue. Had three days of discomfort on deep breaths.

Sorry your little one is feeling unwell.

Something I"ve learned in my short journey so far with this disease is that its hard to get a definitive diagnosis. I'm a "undifferentiated connective tissue patient" I do believe I have lupus, just don't have all of the criteria to diagnose it. I would say just come to them with an open mind and give them all of the data and ask for their input.

Best wishes!

karenboss
03-09-2009, 03:46 PM
It is worth a second oppionion. It could be JRA - that will also sometimes give a positive ana test.

the lower back pain is probably not a kidney problem, more likely muscle. Though I'm not an expert.

did the first dr say it's lupus? Does she run a fever? How old is she?

chas
03-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I would ask for them to point out which of the 11 criteria that defines a Lupus diagnosis is pertinent to your child. I would also ask how these might be confused or mimicked by other autoimmune diseases or viruses. You are looking for specificity - I think the the malar rash (confirmed by biopsy) is 96%specific to Lupus but only about 50% of Lupus people have it etc and some are obvious and some faint. If there is a malar rash and three other criteria(raised ana, arthralgias, anemia, abnormal blood counts etc) then Lupus is easily diagnosed. If there is no malar rash and other symptoms, then that warrants further investigation.

You are doing the right thing by investigation. A child needs you to work on their behalf for the best possible treatment available to them.

That does not mean you should ignore medical advice but you should aim to be as well informed as possible.

Silentscream
03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Be warned:
when I say, my child, that is a father talking, in "real Years" she is in her 20s

BonusMom
03-09-2009, 08:05 PM
With HIPPA, the doctor may not be willing to tell you anything, especially with your daughter being 21. Even your health insurance company, if you're the subscriber and your daughter is 18 or older and on your policy (since she's still in college), is prohibited from disclosing anything to you since she's 18. Just so you know...............of course, if your daughter signs an authorization for the doctor to discuss her medical condition with you, they can comply.

Good luck with the second opinion. I hope you find the answers that you are seeking.

Silentscream
03-10-2009, 09:42 AM
With HIPPA, the doctor may not be willing to tell you anything, especially with your daughter being 21. Even your health insurance company, if you're the subscriber and your daughter is 18 or older and on your policy (since she's still in college), is prohibited from disclosing anything to you since she's 18. Just so you know...............of course, if your daughter signs an authorization for the doctor to discuss her medical condition with you, they can comply.

Good luck with the second opinion. I hope you find the answers that you are seeking.

I have authorization. What I want to hear, what I will hear and what the correct answer will be may be three different things.

lucky7
03-10-2009, 11:46 AM
awwwww, HI silentscream! I got goosebumps when i read your post stating that "your child" is in her 20s. They're forever "our babies". im a mother of 2, one being 19, and i still call her "my baby".

You also made me think about how my father is so worried about me too. I have a husband whos there 110% for me but that doesnt stop my dad from being a DAD. It never hurts to get more than one opinion because from my own experience of seeing MANY drs. they all seem to have different ideas and thoughts about my symptoms. Id like to add that alot of them arent as smart as they think they are either!

Good Luck!

Faith
03-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi Silentscream,

I think you are a wonderful, protective and caring Dad. How blessed is your daughter!!

I would take copies of all lab work and I would also have your daughter document each day her different pain/issues and problems for the doctor to review. The symptoms may help the doctor as well. I know you want labs for a CRP, Sed rate, ANA Titer, Anti DNA by Farr, C3 and C4. Has she had any of these done yet? My heart goes out to you!!!

My doctor asks me to keep the date, pains, etc., and a brief note as to what areas it is effecting. I would definately start doing this now. I bought a writing journal at the Dollar Store and keep track of it. It doesn't have to be overly detailed. Date and symptoms, and locations.

A suggestion is to check out the LFA.org website, chats with doctors. There is a entire list of questions from patients and answers from several doctors that deal with Lupus on a daily basis. It's on the top far right hand side if I remember correctly.

I will keep you in my prayers and continue to be strong and positive for your daughter. She needs your positive support more now than ever. Many patients have to see 10 rheumy doctors before they are ever diagnosed. Stay tough and resilent for your daughter.

God Bless,

Faith