PDA

View Full Version : Help! My weight is out of control.

DrinkofWtr
03-07-2009, 04:30 PM
When I went to the Dr. the other day, I found out I had gained 30 lbs. I am scared and I do not know how to control it. I don't do very well on diets because I am lactose intolerant and have a lot of food allergies. Also, I must admit I have a hard time with the self-control issues associated with dieting. Any tips or help with diets or dieting would be appreciated.

Saysusie
03-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Are you currently taking any steroids (such as Prednisone)? Corticosteroids can cause weight gain, water retention, moon face etc. If this is the cause of your weight gain, it may be very difficult to find a diet that counteracts the effects of corticosteroids.
Because one of the treatments for lupus is to take steroids, many people will also develop diabetes, osteoporosis, as well as suffer from obesity. This leads them to seek out ways to diet, as well as avoid certain foods and many dieting plans may produce flare-ups in Lupus.
There are quite a few diets that could cause flare-ups in Lupus patients. Unfortunately, there is no real diet to follow when it comes to lupus. However, there are many suggestions that Lupus patients have found to be helpful. Remember, if you find a particular food that creates a flare-up, you should definitely avoid eating it or cooking with it.
Some foods/diets that have been used with Lupus patients are listed below:

1) Some have said that following the Atkins diet worked well at first, but soon produced adverse reactions due to their lupus.
2) Some lupus patients have followed a vegetarian diet, while others suggest increasing fiber, but not excessively.
3) A variety of patients have had great success with following a Weight Watchers diet. They claim that it is one of the healthiest ways to diet, while not picking up unhealthy practices.
4) A diet such, as the ones recommended by the American Heart Association or the American Cancer Society, have been found to be the most helpful. These diets advocate foods that are low in fat, low in sodium, high in fiber, as well as low in refined sugars. They also provide balanced meal choices, as well as incorporate foods from all of the different food groups.
5) Some say that a diet high in fish is good because of the eicosopentanioc acid in fish oil, which might possess modest anti-inflammatory capabilities.
6) Patients with lupus should eat a balanced diet limited in calories and fat, especially saturated and omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids. The diet should be high in vitamin E, vitamin A (beta carotene), selenium and calcium.

Tips for Lupus Patients When Dieting:
1) Avoid eating sweets if you have lupus and are dieting and try to exchange them for other food items, such as carrots.
2) When you are thirsty, replace soda and tea with water.
3) Avoid alfalfa sprouts, which are in the legume family. They contain an amino acid called L-canavanine that can stimulate the immune system in people with lupus and increase inflammation. Other legumes are safe to eat because they have a much lower concentration of L-canavanine compared to alfalfa sprouts.
4) Avoid excessive consumption of vitamins because they can be prove to be potentially dangerous.
5) If you are taking corticosteroids, you should limit your sugar and salt intake.
5) Beneficial fish oils to consider include: evening primrose oil and flaxseed.
6) Avoid safflower oil, sunflower oil, poppy seed oil and corn oil. They promote flare-ups.
7) Omega-3 fatty acid-containing fish varieties to look into include: mackerel, tuna, whitefish and herring. These choices may slow the disease and have an anti-inflammatory effect.
8) Some like to stay away from barbequed foods, fried foods, as well as pork and basically any four-legged animal meat.
9) Vitamin E, Vitamin A, and selenium are antioxidants that may have anti-inflammatory properties that some say are beneficial to them.

I hope that this has been helpful to you and I wish you great success in your efforts to lose weight.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

DrinkofWtr
03-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Dear Say Susie:

I am going to have to see if I am taking any more than one cortisone drug. For one thing, I know I have been on a nose drop that contains them. I am going to have to check on the other drugs with the pharmacist/and or Dr. Thanks for all the dieting information. I'll have to try some of the tips and see if they can work for me. Not only do I have to deal with the lupus, when dieting, but in addition, I am lactose intolerant and have hypoglycemia and food allergies to deal with as well. In the past, I found that Weight Watchers didn't work well for me, but I will check out the other options. Thanks again.

tiggerlishus - Heidi
03-10-2009, 09:42 AM
have to say i have always struggled with my weight een more since lupous diagnoses and in ast two weeks i have been on steriods which ain't helping matter but all your tips our great my biggest problem is chocalate and i don't think it helps with flares so any who will stop waffling thanks for tips xx

KATROACH1972
03-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Not sure what to suggest, I have gained 35 lbs with prednisone. When cut back it still stays(the weight). I always have to go back up to avoid flaring though. i do know you should avoid nutra sweet it always made me have horrible flare ups. Sorry I can't help more. Just wanted you to know your not alone.:yes:

ashleybaby715
03-11-2009, 04:30 AM
before i was diagnosed with lupus, i weighed 98 pounds [[i've always been small]]
then when i first started having lupus symptoms, i dropped all the way to 90 pounds! !
i've been on prednisone since December 31st. [[starting off at 40 mg]] [[now at 30]] i've reached up to 110 pounds.

the weight gain in my situation was good, because i needed to gain back what i lost, plus some.

but hopefully, i dont continue to keep gaining the weight, but mann those steroids make you eat!!

im alot more concious of what i eat. i eat alot of fruits and veggies...but i do have to admit, i dont always eat everything that is right for me...
but i try :)

Saysusie
03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
You are most welcome. Good luck on your diet plan and exercise routine. Remember, we are here for you and to give you encouragement to stick with your plan!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

sick n tired
03-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey Drink, I feel you for sure. I have gained 30 lbs. too with the prednisone and it won't come off. I wish I had something we both could do...just know I do understand. :-(

lucky7
03-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I wanted to say that artificial sweetener really flares me BAD!! Any type of caffein does too. Chocolate, or caffeinated tea etc. I notisced that alot of organic foods dont bother me. Gluten free foods is a good way to go too.

I gained about 35lbs a few yrs ago when put on some meds and it made me worse because i went into a depression so right now im trying to go the "natural" route with herbs and vits and they do help but i think i mighht end up on a veryLOW dose of pred along with my natural herbs and vits and im hoping it will balance out. Another woman from my fist in town mtg. i went to Sunday is doing it and she says it works but the higher dosage was better but if you go further into a depression thats not good for flares either.

I try to watch what i eat (most of the time lol) and i exerciase at least 5-6 days a wk even if its 20 mins of light walking because i do know that i FEEL worse if i dont. It really does work. I notice that i tire earlier in the day though so i try to get a nap in when i can. I feel so bad sometimes that the thought of exercise makes me ill but i honestly can say that when i DO it im thankful afterwards.

tiggerlishus - Heidi
03-13-2009, 02:06 AM
ahh thanks lucky i will try some of what you said as well xx anything to stop putting on the weight adn even lose some one would be good !!! x

AyahsClan
03-13-2009, 11:46 AM
I have battled with my weight ever since my thyroid tanked in 1985. The doctor said "take this little pink pill and everything will go back to normal"

What works best for me is a raw organic vegan diet BUT when I am in a painful flare that celery can sit till it rots I need some comfort carbs and I need them NOW. I recently went back on The South Beach diet and joined the online program which has been helpful. I finished phase 1 and am going into 2. This diet can be easily modified to suit your likes and dislikes. When I first did the diet several years ago it cured my diabetes. It was created by a Cardiologist.

I recently tried some diet soda sweetened with aspartame for a treat and oh my gosh my fibro flared so bad I had to fill an order for norco. I don't use any artificial additives and try to stay as organic as possible. But the reality is lupus causes a sedentary lifestyle which means you have to take in less calories. I experimented under doctors care on caloric intake and found in order to lose I have to stay below 1200 calories. That's the bottom line, energy in - energy out. Too much going in than what's needed is stored as fat.