PDA

View Full Version : RA, SLE or both?

theotherbane
05-02-2005, 06:11 AM
Hi everyone,
I have had SLE for nearly 10 yrs and still do not understand the disease or the symptoms. I only now am starting to realize that all those other diseases that I seem to have are contributed to the SLE. I think I have it covered from kidney failure to CHF but what I really would like to know is, can you have lupus and rheumatoid arthritis at the same time? or are they too similiar to differentiate, or RA blood test always comes back positive with ESR when you have either. I have 3 docs to tell me I have both, and 4 docs to tell me it is impossible to have both. And my next question is, has anyone here been diagnosed with MS-Lupus? I wish I could find a good rheumy that could answer my questions, but it seems other lupies have a better idea of what is going on than the docs do. I have been gaining much knowledge from reading the posts here and so appreciate this site! :D Thanks for any further insight. The MS thing is of great concern to me; I have attempted MRI for confirmation 5 times now and either I cough and get the tech really mad and they quit on me, or the machine is broke, or whatever, so I have no definitive answer until MRI is complete. Family doc says MS and lupus does occur but not often.
Thanks for listening.
Deb

TracyDawn
05-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Hey Deb,
I'm not sure about the RA and Lupus thing, but I do know my mom has had MS for about 15 years now and was recently diagnosed with RA. I asked her to go get tested for Lupus cause her symptoms were similar to mine (but not identical) so she did. They found out she has the RA with the MS, but right now I think she is in denial about the second diagnosis. They got her a new rheumy appt and she cancelled it. GRRRRR (Course it's the same dr that I have been waiting since September to see too!!) But I would definitely ask until you get a definite answer. I don't see why you couldn't have both??? {{HUG}}

Evenstar
05-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Hi Deb,

I have SLE and sero negative arthritis. I don't have RA but my docs always check for this in my blood tests, as they told me it is possible. I have had an MRI to check for MS after being diagnosed with SLE, so it is my understanding that you can have SLE and other diseases too. Sorry, I guess thats not the most positive of answers. I know how frustrating seeing different doctors can be. I see two rheumys they both have very different perspecrives on SLE and it drives me mad.

Take Care,

Carly

Saysusie
05-03-2005, 02:54 AM
Hi Deb;
Unfortunately, Systemic lupus erythematosus may cause multiple neurologic pathology such as MS, optic abnormalities, cirrhosis of the liver, transverse myelitis (spinal cord inflamation)and strokes . Both diseases present systemic abnormalities, such as elevated antinuclear antibody, low white blood cell count, blood in the urine, and elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate.
On some occasions lupus erythematosus and MS may be found in the same patient. Multiple Sclerosis is an auto immune disease of the central nervous system. The inflammation of the nervous system causes the loss of myelin - a coating of the spinal cord and brain that protects fiber.
Multiple sclerosis (MS) and systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) have overlapping clinical features and laboratory findings. It has, in fact, been hypothesized that MS and SLE have a common etiology. Usually MS and SLE are considered to have autoimmune pathogenesis, and both are chronic diseases that can respond to steroids.
Multiple sclerosis (MS), systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) are all chronic, immune-mediated, relapsing?remitting disorders.
Neurological manifestations and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) can be difficult to distinguish between the diseases, however, it is an important tool in making the distinction. Particularly since the treatment and prognosis are quite different for each disease. There is controversy about the prevalence and significance of antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) in MS.
Also, unfortunately, a significant number of patients with APS/SLE are misdiagnosed as having MS.
I think that it is important that you go through with the MRI so that you can begin treatment as soon as possible.
Keep us posted and Best of Luck
Saysusie

theotherbane
05-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Hey, thanks for all the info. It's okay tadpole, honesty is better than living on false hope. I do however, hope you are doing well. I have reg.doc appt tomorrow - ha! to get results of MRI that I didn't have done! What a hoot! Actually, I will be strongly suggesting that he put me in a coma so that I get it over with, without coughing, since I never could lie down on a flat pillow without coughing for 20 min. A CHF thing. Anyway, I will have an MRI scheduled, beside the rheumatology appointment he is suppose to make for me, and last but not least, appt for orthopedic surgeon to correct these two achilles heel tendons I tore on each foot-YEOW! Hope they don't do two at the same time! Last week I had cyst removed from breast, ouch - hey, does anyone else get these God awful cysts, knots, whatever you want to call them, they have always grown in my breasts, but I have one on my wrist, behind my knee, in the muscle of my thigh...they are all deep into the body tissues or muscles and don't really cause pain except when they get bigger and then it's occasional headache type pain in the area of the cyst. Just wondering if that was another lupus thing or just a hereditary bane.
Listen, take care all, and keeping you in my prayers....Stay well!
Deb

Saysusie
05-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Hi Theotherbane;
Unfortunately, about 1 in 3 people with lupus have a second, third or even fourth autoimmune disease in addition to the lupus. On a few occassions, people with lupus may also develop rheumatoid arthritis, inflammation of the muscles (myositis). Unfortunately, it happens. However, many people with Lupus are incorrectly diagnosed as having Rheumatoid Arthritis. This generally happens during the long testing phase of the disease.
Also, some of us are diagnosed with "Connective Tissue Disease" in which we may have overlapping symptoms.
The connective tissue diseases are a family of closely related disorders. They include:
* rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
* systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE or lupus)
* polymyositis-dermatomyositis (PM-DM)
* systemic sclerosis (SSc or scleroderma)
* Sjogren's syndrome (SS)
* various forms of vasculitis.
Although lupus most often occurs alone, many people with lupus also have symptoms characteristic of one or more of the other connective tissue diseases, such as RA. In this circumstance, your doctor may use the term ?overlap? to describe your particular illness. There are several well-recognized overlaps that may affect people with lupus. In some instances, your doctor might have reason to believe that both diseases-SLE and RA-have occurred in your case.
Here are the symptoms of both:
Lupus
* Joint pain (arthralgia) is common.
* Joint swelling (arthritis) may be present in some cases.
* The majority of those with lupus experience joint pain without swelling or only intermittent swelling.
* If a person with lupus develops severe arthritis with joint deformities, he/she should be considered to have rheumatoid-like arthritis.

RA
* Joint swelling is always present.
* Joint pain is common but less prominent.
* Because rheumatoid arthritis is more likely than lupus to cause joint deformities and bone destruction, joint replacement or reconstructive surgery is more often required in RA than in lupus.
When arthritis develops in the course of lupus, treatment usually includes the following:

- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- low doses of cortisone
- the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil).

People with lupus who have typical rheumatoid arthritis are prescribed the standard forms of RA treatment:
- methotrexate
- sulfasalazine
- In some cases, more potent drugs to suppress inflamation
I hope that I have answered your question...
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

theotherbane
05-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Yes, thank you Saysusie, alot of info. Take care :)
Deb

Poncho
05-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi everyone I am new here but I am not new to lupus or RA. They have been my faithful companions since I was 9 years old. I will be 49 the end of the month. Unfortunately they did not diagnose or treat the RA correctly over the years so I was very uncomfortable until they began chemo treatments of methotrexate and arova in pill form thankfully no hospitals the past 2 years. I had to get a laptop and an electric scooter because of the drastic changes in my health. I am telling you this so you will be ready for anything. Make sure you have family support and alot of people to talk to or contact online. And please remember each person has different degrees of the disease, please dont look at worse case scenarios. Look at survivors and also check online to find good doctors in your area so dont go around in circles like I have the past 25 years because my lupus symptoms changed and they affected my nervous system or couldd it be the 20 medications I am taking? Look at these diseases from all ANGLES.

theotherbane
05-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Hi Poncho,
nice you could find us and say "Hello". Sounds like you have had it rough over the years. I am sorry for that. I hope things get better for you, even just a little is a great thing for us! I try to keep positive, it helps, I think. Anyway, Good to meet ya....Hope to hear more from you.
Take good care.
Deb

mamiof2angels
05-17-2005, 08:19 PM
:D Hi everyone! I'm new here. :n00b: Your post about RA, SLE or both caught my attention. I was diagnosed two and a half years ago with lupus and this year my tests came back with lupus, RA, and some enzyme running through my body causing muscle tissue to swell. So unfortunately, yes you can have more than one auto-immune problem. I'm glad I found this site it helps to read and hear that I'm not the only one frustrated. :x

:angel:

Saysusie
05-18-2005, 06:14 AM
Hi mamiof2angels; :lol:

Welcome to our forum and to our family!! I know how it feels to finally realize that you are not alone. It is very important to me that everyone knows that there are many of us who are here to support you, comfort you and to provide you with information. We are glad you are here!!

Saysusie

theotherbane
05-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Hi Belinda, and welcome! Yes, I ditto Saysusie! Take care- hope to hear more from you.
Deb

Reba1017
04-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Hi everyone,
I have had SLE for nearly 10 yrs and still do not understand the disease or the symptoms. I only now am starting to realize that all those other diseases that I seem to have are contributed to the SLE. I think I have it covered from kidney failure to CHF but what I really would like to know is, can you have lupus and rheumatoid arthritis at the same time? or are they too similiar to differentiate, or RA blood test always comes back positive with ESR when you have either. I have 3 docs to tell me I have both, and 4 docs to tell me it is impossible to have both. And my next question is, has anyone here been diagnosed with MS-Lupus? I wish I could find a good rheumy that could answer my questions, but it seems other lupies have a better idea of what is going on than the docs do. I have been gaining much knowledge from reading the posts here and so appreciate this site! :D Thanks for any further insight. The MS thing is of great concern to me; I have attempted MRI for confirmation 5 times now and either I cough and get the tech really mad and they quit on me, or the machine is broke, or whatever, so I have no definitive answer until MRI is complete. Family doc says MS and lupus does occur but not often.
Thanks for listening.
Deb

Hi all ! My name is Reba1017. I am new to the site and this subject. I know it is farly old subject, but I felt I needed to reply to this, as I am also EXSTREAMLY CONFUSED!!...LOL I was Diagnosed with fibromyalgia way back in 2005(In texas). I moved back down to Florida with my 2 children back in 2006. I was getting worse, and knew I needed to see a Rhuemitologist asap. So I called insurance and found a great doctor. Made appointment and went in to see her. She was very exstencive in her examination of me and the test/labs she did. She called me a week later and said that I had sytemic lupus with Antiphosolipid syndrome. She put me on some meds and went on my way, with follow ups here and there. I moved to Brandon Florida and saw 3 more doctors who gave me 3 differant diagnoses, one being definitly RA with (JUST THE SYMTOMS OF LUPUS AND FIBRO), that seemed very strange to me, especially scence none of the doctors would completly answer my questions, or were exstreamly vaige in ansering my questions. Now I am seeing my 5th and new doctor and he tells me that yes I do definitly have systemic lupus and it has gotton much worse, and then tells me that I can not have lupus and RA at the same time. I am so frustrated, confused, and sceptical..... I dont know what the heck to think or believe....!!!!!!!!! What do you all think?? Any advice or saggestions??

steve.b
04-16-2012, 08:12 PM
hi raba1017,
welcome to we have lupus.
unfortunatelly there are no doctors on this site....
just patients.

in my understanding, it is common to have more than 1 auto immune diorder at the same time.
many of us actually have quite a few at the same time.
also many of the symptoms overlap.

doctors know very little about our immune system, and how it really works.
they know even less about disorders of the immune system.
diagnosis is usually done by eliminating all other options.
there is a criteria for most immune disorders, but no test as such.
http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthread.php?2592-Criteria-for-Lupus-Diagnosis

as your symptoms change, some doctors believe that a previous diagnosis may be wrong, and that they are sure you have a different disorder.
it is just there understanding of your symptoms.
some doctors even believe that these disorders can be cured by medication.....
when they are actually brought more under control, but not cured.
stop the medication and all hell breaks loose.

i found a doctor who has a sisiter with lupus.
he has a vested interest in my disorder, so stuies in in detail.
therefore i recieve very good care.

my advice is to find a doctor who cares...
they are hard to find.
knowledge is so limited in this type of medical condition.
that is why places like this is needed.
we exist, because we are needed.
we need each other, we help each other.

please read a few of our older posts.
they are our personal experiences with lupus.
there are "stickies" at the top of some sections.
these stickies are usually the best place to start reading, as they contain very relevant information.

welcome to your new cyber family.