PDA

View Full Version : Lupus and speech

justdave
03-05-2009, 11:47 AM
When I flair I have significant Speech issues, mostly stuttering but other times I say the wrong word in a sentence or I get stuck with pronunciation or It just plain gets stuck on my tongue and I have to back up and pick another word to un-jam my thought. Odd as that sounds.

Is this something totally different or do others have issues like this with lupus.

I also have tremors, twitching and tingling in the extremeties, and we know that is related because on steriods it goes away, and so doesn't the speech issues unless the flair is bad.

hmmmm?

hatlady
03-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Hi Dave;

You're not alone in the speech issues. What you're saying is right on for many of us - sometimes on a daily basis, not just during flares! See the tongue in cheek (or fog in head??) thread at http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthread.php?t=5558

You'll learn we have names for it. Can't always remember those names, but....yep.

Can't address the tremors - tho sometimes I'm shakier than I think I should be. I'll be interested in what others have to say about that!

lucky7
03-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi Dave! I just wanted to say that i SOOOOOOO understand the speech issues! It can get pretty bad for me at times. I say the wrong words or i just cant say the words at all! I even use the wrong word for what i really mean and i also blend words at times!

Ive noticed that my speech can get pretty slow and drawn out at times too.

Its moments like that when i think i just might need a nap! lol

Seriously though, the nap does help sometimes! Give it a try!

rob
03-08-2009, 07:20 AM
I have speech and spelling problems too. I used to do alot of public speaking, and I was always the person people came to for proofreading papers and documents. Not anymore. I forget words, and whole trains of thought all the time now. It's always the worst when I have a bad flare. It can be embarrassing, but it can be funny at times as well. Ain't Lupus grand?

tiggerlishus - Heidi
03-08-2009, 01:36 PM
yes i have been having terrible trouble with speach completey forgetting peoples names some times and your right it can be ever soo embarssing!! and really really fustrating but i can't remember who said but i do find if you have the oppurtunity to have a nap about a hour or maybe two :9: other than a deep breath lol well hope this waffle helps Hxxx

KATROACH1972
03-08-2009, 03:07 PM
HI Dave, I have trouble with everyday conversation! Even ordering food at drive thru! I was told my CNS was being attacked, causing a slew of wonderful new symptoms.{as if I didn't have enough already.} Sorry your going through that too. I just have to laugh at myself, or else i'll be cry bag about it. Have a great day

lucky7
03-08-2009, 03:58 PM
HI! I just wanted to share a story with everyone about the forgetfullness we all seem to share!

This happened to me on FRI. I took my dog into the vets for a shot and while i was there i was having a flare. She was anxious and i had to keep settling her down, twice i ended up calling her(very loudly) Jake,my sons name! Her name is Lucky and everyone that works there knows it.UGH The people in the waiting room new it to cuz when we came in i said Lucky to her and to the receptionist. I was looked at by a few people like i was a nut. I felt so dumb.

Another "Lupus Moment"! LOL

SuperGiv
03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Only recently when i've been flaring i've been having trouble spelling, which is really helpful when you're doing a degree, and also my boyfriend pointed out my speech is slurred. I didn't notice it, but he said he had noticed it for a few weeks. As Rob said, just lupus being grand....

tiggerlishus - Heidi
03-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Just wanted to add they all sound familier i quite often call my nephews and niece each others names they just it aunty heidi being aunty heidi !!! lol and as far as spelling i am terrible and its normally small words you know you can spell like and for from they all get twisted around very fustrating as i am studing to accountancy and it can happen with numbers too!! oh the joys of lupie looness!!!

TERI A.
03-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Reading this thread has really cracked me up. I can't believe what i am hearing. I have been having all of the speech and memory problems you all have described. I work in a childcare center and i and always say something completely ridiculous. Like when a parent comes to pick up their child and i forget which child is theirs so i will use another childs name. They are always saying i am trying to give them someone elses child. Or the time a mom came in to celebrate her daughters birthday and I told the ckild that was with her happy birthday and the mom said this is my niece, aniyah is in her class. I felt like an idiot at that point and I they looked at me like I was crazy. This happens to me all the time. It is kind of a relief to know there is a reason for it. I thought it might be alzhiemers.

mountaindreamer
03-18-2009, 06:44 PM
hi teri,

i often have to just smile and shrug my shoulders. sometimes i can't remember my grandchildren's names.....i ask people for help a lot with word recall.

another fun part of loopie land

KHoguetuc
03-19-2009, 12:38 AM
I not only have speech problems but writing problems as well. For example, I use 8 for h, f for 4, 3 for t, and s for c. It happens when I type and when I write. I will go back and proof and wonder what idiot wrote that! I asked my doctor if I could have developed dyslexia. I am a Religious Education Director for a church and I am taking classes in college. I have quite enough credits for my associates but can not seem to finish the math and language requirements for some reason......

mountaindreamer
03-19-2009, 06:21 AM
hi K

your college should have provisions that fall within the disabilities act, that will assist you in completion of your courses/exams, etc.

good luck, congrats on your higher education degree

KHoguetuc
03-20-2009, 10:55 PM
If only my doctor would pick a diagnosis. How can she not see that it is lupus? I can not believe since getting on this site how many of my symptoms are shared by others with the disease!

teresaa40
03-22-2009, 07:48 AM
I am relieved to read so many have this same issue. I was honestly starting to wonder if I had some other illness, something like Ahlzheimers or something, and was going to lose my ability to speak at all.

It has been bothering me so much lately, but, I have been off this forum for about a year, so, I never thought to check here to see if it was common to Lupus.

I have always been considered quite an intelligent speaker, because I always use big words. People often commented on my wordsmithing, and lately, it has become more and more obvious that I am stammering, and stuttering and not able to bring to mind the word I want to say.

Thanks Lupus, another surprise from the gift that keeps on giving.

mountaindreamer
03-22-2009, 09:07 AM
hi KH

i have a recommendation to you. if you have not been diagnosed, you should consider looking at your insurance situation. if you need more life insurance, get it now, cause you can't get it after diagnosis. also, disability insurance will be impossible....so, verify insurance coverage now....you will be glad later.

Loverly83
03-22-2009, 08:22 PM
The insurance suggestion is a great idea. And as far as once you get the diagnosis, colleges will really work with you! You can get extra time taking tests, or if you need to take them somewhere that isn't under florescent lighting, etc... I've found that the people at the University I attended were extremely willing to help me with anything I needed in order to pass a class, and do well.

BadFlareDay
03-22-2009, 11:48 PM
wow, I thought it was just something to do with meds and/or being tired, funny that there are so many others that have the same problem.

KHoguetuc
03-24-2009, 11:57 PM
Wow. Good idea. Unfortunately I was diagnosed years ago with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. I don't think they will touch me. Good thing (sort of) that I have the state funded health insurance because otherwise I would not be able to get that either.

Danica01
03-25-2009, 01:27 AM
Tim gets a kick out of me on the funny speech days!!!! I will stutter for get what I am saying and run into walls at the same time! I will even fall UP the stairs! He told me the other night that I should have to wear my bike helmet.....ALL THE TIME!!!!! So,that night he got in the shower and I put my bike helmet on and went to bed. He turned on the light and laughed so hard!!!!!!! He even took a picture of it!!!!!!!! The one thing we are blessed with is the ability to laugh at ourselves in these situations!!!!! Happy walking, talking and thinking!