PDA

View Full Version : Do doctors . . .

azgirl
05-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Has anyone had the problem of having to go through tests every time you change doctors?? I moved from Arizona to Vermont a year and a half ago. Six months after I moved, I went to the rheumatologist, who retested me for lupus, just to make sure that my last doctor was right. Then, he was "unavailable" for months, so I recently switched to another doctor in his practice, who despite looking at the labs from last year, decided that she would rerun all the tests as well. Is this normal?? I completely trust the doctor who made the diagnosis after years of being in pain and getting told it was all in my head. Knowing that I have a name for it now makes things so much easier, even though I would rather not have the disease in the first place. Every time a doctor does this to me, I freak out. Does it mean that I shouldn't have been on steroids that made me gain a considerable amount of weight for the last year and a half? What about everything else? I've made a ton of life changes (moving to Vermont from Arizona, as one . . . Less sun here . . . Less temptation to be in it . . .) around the disease, and I don't question it. Why do doctors all seem to second guess each other??

sonya
05-02-2005, 03:11 PM
well, i'm really sorry to hear that. after it seemed like i got a hold on everything with docs in my town i moved and had to find new doctors and i was afraid i would have to start all over again...as i feel i have been going from one doctor to another since i was 13 and i'm quite familiar with having to start from scratch. i keep a copy of all of my labs. since i started with this whole lupus mess back in may of 04, i find it a lot easier to deal with new doctors by just handing them my stack of labs. it really makes things a lot more solid i think because they can just read it all on paper what has been done and my levels of what not etc. granted a lot of my doctors like to re-run labs etc...i feel like everyone is finally on top of things and that i have to do a lot less explaining. i'm not sure if i have given you any peace of mind, but i want you to know that i'm right there with you. i guess all i can say is try to keep a copy of all of your labs. hang in there!
sonya

azgirl
05-02-2005, 05:44 PM
I hope that makes them stop this. Even if they have my file (just changing doctors within the practice for example), they still question the diagnosis and make me take more labs. It still freaks me out when I have to go for the tests anyway, but making me go through them every time I see someone new isn't helping me at all. :mad: Hopefully this new one is decent. I can't handle waiting six months or more to get in for something. And I hate talking about prescriptions over the phone, especially with steroids and the others I'm on.