PDA

View Full Version : I messed up my insulin real bad last night

NoodleMom
02-26-2009, 08:28 AM
I take humalog (fast acting) insulin b/4 meals and snacks. Basically b/4 I put anything in my mouth. I take lantus my base insulin (a 24 hr insulin to keep the base level down to a dull roar) a night before bed. Last night I got distracted and took 30 units of the fast acting insulin instead of the base. My blood sugars were gonna plummet and I was in trouble. The doc said to treat with desert and other sweets. I ate my snack, peaches and cottage cheese, two chocolate browines with choco frosting, two chocolate chip cookie bars, 6 gluco tabs, half a egg salad sandwich and half a small container or blueberry yogurt. I dont eat refined sugar anymore and so the sugar really made me sick. Thankfully my blood sugars were high to begin with because they went down really fast inspite of eating all that junk. I felt awful. Wanted to vomit but was afraid if I did the glucose level would be adversely effected.
The lowest that they got to was 65. I have never in nearly eighteen years mixed up my insulin. HubbyMan was so scared. Well so was I but after eating all that junk I was feeling physically ill and so the fear was secondary to that. Can I just say that my favorite desert anything double chocolate (brownies with chocolate frosting and chocolate cake with chocolate frosting) really doesnt seem all that appealing any more, Go figure.
Today is a groggy day, physically I am in agony(tons and tons of pain) I have mega brain fog also.
Oh and I have a new friend coming to visit. I have not as yet met her. She is going to see me at my worst. Poor woman.

K

Rastagirl
02-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Noodlemom....what a scary night. That sounds terrible. So sorry that happened to you. And then on top of it you had to be miserably sick. And then as if that wasn't enough...you get a load of pain on top of it today. It seems neverending for you lately. I'm so sorry....

Sure glad you didn't end up in the ER....good thing your doc was a phone call away at the right time.

Sending you warm, squeezing hugs....1 for the scary part...1 for feeling so sick...1 for your pain today...and an extra one just because. :)

Take it easy today and be good to yourself.....

Lori :)

Saysusie
02-26-2009, 12:51 PM
NoodleMom;
That was very scary and the knowledge of what could have happened had you not been able to get your numbers right sends icy chills down my spine. I am so glad that you were able to contact your doctor, get you numbers to a manageable place and that you are relatively OK today (in spite of the pain and grogginess).
Please, please be very careful and take very good care of yourself. Oh, and don't worry..chocolate is so habit forming that you will get back to it eventually!

Take Care
Peace & Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

sick n tired
02-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Ohhhh Girl,

Thank God you were able to get the numbers back...I have the same icy chills down my spine...Praise God...

As an aside...I bet you don't want any dessert right now...I am not sure how you kept all that down, but I am sure glad you did.

Thankful for your life,

Karen

NoodleMom
03-01-2009, 08:38 AM
yeah, thanks. There is no more sweets for me. The thought of them just makes my stomach turn. Yuck :-P

Kasey

Angel Oliver
03-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Oh i just read it......how scary and im glad you got the count up. I hope you are feeling a bit better and your friend was nice and understanding with you. You take it easy.Im sending you gentle hugs.

love
Angel.xxxx