PDA

View Full Version : Histone AB

BonusMom
02-25-2009, 01:35 PM
What does Histone AB (histone antibodies) mean? My lab states that strong positive is anything > 2.5 and my level was 7.3. Just curious.......

karenboss
02-25-2009, 02:45 PM
i just googled it - it looks like a SLE fairly specific indicator. Google it and find out more.

Saysusie
02-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Anti-histone ab aids in the diagnosis of SLE, drug-induced SLE and related Connective Tissue Diseases, such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Dermatomyositis and Sjogren’s Syndrome. Determination of your histone antibody status may be useful in the differential diagnosis between SLE and drug induced SLE. Doctors usually use this test to determine if Lupus symptoms are the result of drug-induced Lupus. Antihistone antibody is often positive in drug-induced lupus.

Drug-induced lupus erythematosus (DILE) is defined as a lupus-like syndrome temporally related to continuous drug exposure which resolves after discontinuation of the offending drug. The drug may react with cell materials, causing the body to form antibodies that attack the body's own healthy cells.
Several medications are known to cause drug-induced lupus. They include:
Chlorpromazine
Hydralazine
Isoniazid
Methyldopa
Penicillamine
Procainamide
Quinidine
Sulfasalazine

DILE can be divided into systemic (SLE), subacute cutaneous (SCLE) and chronic cutaneous lupus (CCLE). Anti-histone antibodies are described often in classic cases of DILE.

I hope that I've answered your question. Please let me know if you need anything further.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

BonusMom
02-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Thank you!