PDA

View Full Version : Weakness and a Heavyness in the Arms

DrinkofWtr
02-25-2009, 10:44 AM
I am trying to figure out if the weakness and heavyness in my arms is lupus related. I started to develop this symptom a couple of years ago and it has been getting progressively worse. Does any one else with Lupus have this symptom? It was really hard to pull weeds for a friend the other day. It was very uncomfortable to prop up the other arm while I was pulling weeds with my left one. I am left-handed. It is kind of hard to explain what the arms feel like. The heavyness and weakness is always there. It doesn't come and go. It scares me because I wonder if it is something else, like fibromyalgia, or M.S. or some other illness I haven't even heard of! I know I sound like a hypochondriac, but I really am legitimately concerned. Thanks for you help.

sarahp
02-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi There, YES i have this too:confused: I guess that for me its the lupus as i have had other tests EMG and other stuff which were negative !
Its so horrible isn't it...walking up stairs are a nightmare !
And peeling potatoes, blow drying my hair and anything repetitive is a joke.

Does this sound like you ???

Take care lov sarah x

sick n tired
02-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Hey drinkowater,

I have the heaviness...my doc thinks it might be due to fibromyalgia but not sure...I am being tested for many other things so I will be able to tell you when these new tests are done. At the moment it is sle and sjorgrens and fibro.

DrinkofWtr
02-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Blow drying my hair is really hard, as the blow dryer feels like it weighs a ton, and getting heavy items out of the oven is a nightmare too. A friend of mine, who is pretty knowledgeable, thinks it's the lupus.

tiggerlishus - Heidi
02-26-2009, 04:12 AM
yer i have sle and my hair normally ends up being tied up or left to co curly as hair drying just comes in possible some time adn the to straighten! well i have to plan to do that soo hair can dry natarually so have strength to straighten then it does always go right!

and as far as cooking the strength it takes to prepeare dinners cook them eat them have none left in arms or legs for that matter to stand and wash up soo have had to buy table top dish washer!! which i get so many gibbs for being lazy as only me but i would rather do that that it not get washed up!! lol

mountaindreamer
02-26-2009, 04:13 PM
i will add to the group. My arms are so weak, I don't even try to dry my hair, even brushing it makes me drop my arm in exhaustion. I have fibromyalgia along with lupus, but i never felt like it was fibro...always thought of it as the lupus.

luvpinkpeeps
04-08-2009, 07:18 AM
I have this also, and blow drying my hair is a chore and I have to take little breaks and put my arms down.

Also my arms go numb so easily! at night I constantly awake to numb arms and hands.

brandichi
04-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I have this too, and it's driving me crazy!! Last weekend, I broke my slow cooker when my arms gave out and it crashed all over the driveway in a million pieces. Last night my arms hurt so bad that I couldn't even open two of my medication bottles, I didn't have the strength and I just wanted to cry. If I wash my hair in the morning, I am able to blow dry my hair, because after a hot shower early in the day I am at my best physically. But peeling potatoes, cutting anything like carrots, even feeding the dog is just so hard.

I asked my rheumy about it yesterday, because I think it's lupus too. She said it may be carpal tunnel, which I've never been diagnosed with. At this point, though, I am so sick of doctors and medical appointments, I'm not going for any tests to find out. Maybe I'm just pretending to myself, but I'm deciding it's just lupus and it will eventually get better when lupus decides to attack something else in my body!

mountaindreamer
04-08-2009, 03:55 PM
hi brandichi,

i know what you mean....by the time we get an appointment, and get in to the dr. , the pain has moved to a new location, and then i feel like a "big dummy" . i too have started taking the "wait it out" attitude, because i know the drs. response is going to be "i must be your lupus" :wacko: