PDA

View Full Version : Exercise

deejaym
04-26-2005, 05:56 AM
Last night I decided that I was not going to give in to sitting on the couch after working all day. I put in a one mile walking tape for the first time in a long time thinking no problem I can do this. I keep trying to tell myself that the way I am feeling is just in my head and I have to stop feeling bad for myself besides exercise is good for lowering my blood sugar. Well, I guess I'm just fooling myself. After the walking video last night my hands were swollen to twice there normal size. My legs, which I have been having problems with since coming back from Aruba, seem even weaker today. After this experience I think I prefer the dozing on the couch after dinner. What type of exercise should I be trying to get?

Trying to stay positive.

derlinda
04-27-2005, 02:24 PM
dear debbie,
good for you for trying! i don't think walking is a no no, it just might be a no no for now. when i find i can't do things i used to i just put them on the back shelf (mental backshelf) for now. i find that indoor swiming is so good to my body, still can hurt a little after but in the long run i feel great.
i also try not to let it get to me and move on to somthing new asap.

hang in there!

melinda

TracyDawn
04-28-2005, 05:32 AM
Good morning. I hear ya on the exercise. My dr says I need to get busy exercising because I am losing muscle mass. Um, ok but tell me how to do that without causing more pain would ya? LOL Anyway, I am in the same boat as you and being in FL any exercise has to be indoors. :( I LOVE being outside but it doesn't like me LOL I agree with Melinda on the water exercises. That is supposed to be very easy on the body but productive at the same time. Unfortunately you don't see many indoor pools in FL. I've been looking for months, there is one at the YMCA but I can't afford the membership. Sorry not much help, but I hear what you are saying. It's frustrating for sure. {{{HUG}}}

pharmacygirl34
04-28-2005, 11:48 PM
:D Hi,
I am glad you were trying this. I think excercise overall is good for a body no matter what the diagnosis is. Maybe you took on too much for your first go around. Try cutting it back to maybe a quarter of that and see if you arn't in as much pain. I am trying to get in a little myself. I am doing at the grocery store though. I hold on to the cart and walk down all of the isles. Then when I get tired I just go to the checkout, pay for it, finish the exercise by bringing it in and putting it away and then go sit for awhile. It seems to work. I still have the pain but I am not in the sun and am actually doing something constructive to boot. I want to go outdoors and begin this but I am not as ambitious as you with the mile. Did you do any stretching before hand? This might help loosen up the muscles so that it isn't a shock to your system. I know about the pain. It seems that the pain is keeping all of us from doing what we want to do. It doesn't feel like a life we had originally planned out huh. Well even just little things we can do will help us. Remember baby steps. I have to pace myself and take everything on with the baby steps attitute. If I take smaller chunks of what ever it is I am trying to accomplish I seem to do better than trying to take the thing on as a whole. This might help. And I agree with the swimming bit too. The pool takes the weight off of your joints and the friction of the water makes you work for your movements. But it easier on the body. Let us know if any of the suggestions anyone has made has helped as we all just might try it ourselves. Good luck and keep us informed. This has been the best site for ideas on how to cope with this disease we have so graciously been given.
Always,
Angela

deejaym
04-29-2005, 05:51 AM
Thank you all for the replies and once the weather warms here in New England I will certainly try the pool. The pool at my complex does not open until the end of May and the cost of joining a health club is too much.

I can't believe in such a short time how things can change because I had been walking two miles every day up until last October. I have never been a health nut but saw a big difference in my blood sugar levels with exercise. I had been using walking videos so I do not have to go outside when it is too hot or too cold and my exercise physiologist approved of them. So for me not to be able to do the one mile is very discouraging to me.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Debbie

silverlioness
05-18-2005, 11:03 PM
I can relate. Every doctor says exercise, exercise, exercise. When I finally do, I'm too sore to move for a week. Then, I decide it's not worth it. But, recently I began doing the workout with Margaret on Body Electric on PBS. It's on at 5 AM here (I tape it). I hardly ever get sore from it and at least I'm doing so type of exercise. Try it if you can.

rvelasco
05-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Good morning everyone! Swimming is great as long as the salt water or the chlorine doesn't make you itch. It didn't use to make me itch but my skin has gotten way more sensitive than it normally is. Has anyone tried Curves for Women? After using prednisone, I had gained 20 lbs and had a hard time losing the weight. I got depressed and gained another 20 lbs. I use to get sick after exercizing. Muscle aches and extreme fatigue for 48 hrs. My doctor suggested that I change my diet first. So, I cut down my portions, ate a good breakfast, less carbs, no carbs at night, watch the fat, salt & sugar contents. I ate fruits, yogurt and dried fruits as snacks and drank a whole lot of water. I lost about 12 lbs. I decided to check on Curves. I explained my situation and asked if they could show me their routine and if I could do it at least once before signing on. It's a minimum 3-30 minute workouts a week. It gets me out of the house and I love it. I have lost a total of 25 lbs in the last 3 months. I have 15 lbs more to go! It doesn't hurt to try. I can't fix the Lupus but I can at least make myself feel better about my weight. Good luck & stay positive! Ruvi