PDA

View Full Version : Lupus and the flu

justdave
02-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Yep, my son came home with it about a week ago, i tried to stay away fromm it but alas now I am sick.

Now I am sitting here at 102.4 at two thirty in the morning groaning. Actually that is not so bad, it was 102.9 earlier, I think the tylenol is kicking in.

So as I sit in my misery, I wonder if I am supposed to stop my imune suppressants, I am on prednisone and another, or stay the course.

are people with lupus at high risk for flu complications?

Going to talk with the doc tomorrow, thing is I need to go to work tomorrow because there are some heavy things happening and it looks like I can't. I have to call my boss and yet again say, sorry. I have intermittent FMLA, but stil makes me feel like a heal when I bail on him.

Angel Oliver
02-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Hi Justdave,

Oh you poor thing. Try not to worry about work, even though i know its hard too.Health comes first and you need to rest. Hope you feel better soon.

Gentle hugs
Angel.xx

sick n tired
02-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Hey Justdave,

6 weeks ago I started coming down with flu/bronchitis/sinusitis then pneumonia...and I slowly tapered off the prednisone...when I got in to see the Rheumy two weeks later, he informed me that I was never to do that without he or another doctor says for me to go off. Not sure if this is the cause, but I ended up with a cardiac effusion and now I am on an even higher dose.

I hope that you end up with a mild case of the flu. Have you called your doctor? I am one to say you need to stay on top or it could turn into something much uglier.

Thinking of you...

Rastagirl
02-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Hi Dave...

My advice....Always call your prescribing doc and check before you stop any medication, even for a short period. Abruptly stopping your immune suppressing meds, especially when you're fighting a flu or sickness, is probably going to cause more problems with the disease they are treating, i.e. Lupus flare.

Yes, with suppressed immune systems we are definitely more at risk than the general public for flu's, cold's, infections. That's just a fact of life when you are suppressing your immune system. So I always make sure to get my flu shot every single Fall now. Haven't missed one in ten years or so. I wasn't sure if it was helping me any at first, but in that amount of time, I have noticed that I do not seem to get any of the serious strains of flu and I don't seem to get as many colds or infections either. If I do get a cold, it's usually mild.

My Lupus doctor stressed the importance of getting the flu shot every year because you do not want to get the worst strains of flu that go around each season....the ones that can be life threatening to the elderly, very young, and those with suppressed immune systems. Those are the ones that usually quickly result in lung infections or pneumonia, and can get serious fast. My doctor shared that you may still get some of the milder strains of flu or viruses, but in most cases our immune systems can handle those. Also, my Lupus doc and my Primary Care doc both asked me to get a pneumonia vaccination. I hadn't even known there was one. It covers several very serious strains of pneumonia and is a ten year booster, I believe. Doesn't cover all of them, but helps prevent the worst strains. Just to be safe, you should check with you doctor to see if getting a flu shot or pneumonia vaccine is appropriate for you.

I hope you get to feeling better soon, Dave. My son just got over a flu/respiratory infection and he was pretty miserable for about 10 days. School nurse said it is rampant right now. Lots of kids missing school. Take care of yourself best you can...remember fluids and lots of rest. If you want, feel free to tell your boss that I told you to stay home and rest. LOL

Fondly,

Lori :)

the wingless one
02-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi Dave, A few years ago I got a really bad sinus & throat infection. Went to an emergency clinic where they put me on antibiotics. I called my rheumy right away and he did not recommend decreasing prednisone but he did have me decrease (but not stop) cellcept until I finished the antibiotics. Like everyone else here, I would say it can't hurt to check with your rheumy before you do anything with your lupus meds, they would definitely know better than your GP if that's who you are seeing for the flu symptoms you're having. I haven't had any major complications *knock on wood* from any of the sinus/throat/ear infections I've had since being on immunosuppresants but it does seem to take me a much longer time to reecover than before. Hope you feel better soon!

justdave
02-26-2009, 05:22 PM
I called my Rhuemy,

He did not want me to stop my prednisone but did have me halt my antiimune med until the fevor broke as he put it, then start it right back up again. I guess there is a stage in the flew where your over the hard part.

Today I am feeling weak but only low grade fever.

might wait one more day to be sure....

Maybe i got the lesser strain because I did get my flue shot and pnemonia too. I thought that was an odd shot.