PDA

View Full Version : New Strange Symptom

rob
02-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi everyone,

We had a big snowstorm yesterday, and everything is totally white today and the sun is out. I wear sunglasses because the glare off the snow is painful. I was outside for about an hour, and when I came in, everything was the wrong color. Like, anything white like the ceiling and walls was a bright reddish pink color. Very bright an vivid. After about an hour it gradually went away. Anybody ever have this happen?

Rob

sick n tired
02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
hey Rob,

Could it have been a combination of the White glare of the snow coupled with your sunglasses...What tint are they? Some are a yellow amber color and others are a rose or pinkish color. Perhaps if that is the explanation the long time it took for your eyes to get back to normal is because of Autoimmune junk. That is my best guess...I have that problem when I am in a very bright place with my sunglasses on and it seems to take forever for the eyes to go back to normal...not an hour though...kinda like being blinded by the light without sunglasses and how long it takes that bright white spot to leave the eyesight.

If it's not one thing it is another...what cr@p!

Rastagirl
02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Glad to hear from you this morning. You made the news here in Oregon. Well, not you literally.....Maine. They shared that your storm has left many people without power in Maine. I was worried you might be one of them. Are your parents doing okay in this? You guys are sure getting your winter this year.

Not sure what might be going on with your eyes. Haven't ever heard of that. I have to wear my sunglasses for snow glare too...without them is too painful on the eyes. It may be the glare was so intense, even with the sunglasses that it began to affect your retinas or other important parts of your eyes. I wonder if that's what happens with snow blindness? Good thing it cleared up...that would be pretty difficult to live with.

Glad to hear your area is getting some sun today, that has to lift the spirits a bit when you're snowed in.

Stay warm and take care...

Lori :)

iseedeadmonkeys
02-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Hey Rob

Yeah when we had the snow i had the same thing, the whiteness of the snow was too hard for my eyes to take, then went indoors and couldnt see anything, i felt like a wally walking around outsised with sunglasses on so i stayed in in the end lol strange

ISDM
xx

BonusMom
02-24-2009, 01:47 PM
My eyes have always been very sensitive so I wear my "Cool Rays" wherever I go. I must say that I've never had anything like you describe, Rob. I'm glad it finally resolved, but can understand your concern. If it persists, get in touch with the doc.

rob
02-24-2009, 04:11 PM
I made an appointment to see the eye doctor in two weeks. I wear these polarized kinda pricey sunglasses, I forget the brand, but they are suposed filter out the really harsh stuff. It was the strangest sensation. If I stared at one spot the red would get darker and if I blinked or looked around it would instantly change to a light pink. Weird.

Lori, most of the state has been without power since the storm. Most power has been restored as of this afternoon. The power was out in my area, but I have a generator, so it was no big deal for me. My parents place has a generator too, so they had no problems. I stuck a yardstick into the new snow, and it was just short of three feet. Had to hire a snowplow to clear my driveway. It was too much for my snowblower, and too much for me. For whatever reason I've been shaky and weak feeling today. SLE sucks.

Rastagirl
02-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Rob....Yep...Lupus sucks big time. You said it! Sorry your having a tough one. Wish you could catch a break for a change.

You have confirmed my image of you....I had you pegged as a 'Generator' kind of guy. :) I figured if anybody's going to have a Generator, it'll be Rob. I remembered your 'snowblower' comment that had me cracking up....

Glad your parents are taken care of. Do you have any other family in Maine?

I'm hoping tomorrow will bring some relief and a little extra energy for you. Sending you hugs...one for your pain...one for your spirit. Wish there was a way to send some of my energy all the way to you. If there was, I'd gladly share.

Hang in there...

p.s. I finally stopped buying expensive sunglasses after I sat on my last 3 pairs. :)

Faith
02-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi Rob,

I am glad you are doing better. It scared me when I read the blog. My mom is a diabetic and has had macular degeneration. When the blood vessels bleed; she sees red. UCLA goes in and lasers it to stop the bleeding. She can only see shadows only.

Anyway, I am glad you are doing better. I have never been to Maine although have read several books by Carla Neggers (FBI thrillers) and seems beautiful.

Take care,

Faith

Angel Oliver
02-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi Rob,

You take it easy and try not to worry too much.Glad you've made the appointment with the eye doctor and hope he can put your mind at rest and help you see better in the right colour.
Hope you feel a touch better today, but make sure you rest...the snow will melt soon :)
Sending you gentle hugs and so hope you managed to get some sleep too.

Love
Angel.xx

mountaindreamer
02-25-2009, 06:01 AM
hi rob,
once again, you present a "strange symptom" that apparently has people scratching their heads. Sorry about the vision problem, hope it is just the "new snow". I wish you did not have to wait 2 weeks for a dr. appt. Let us know what you find out.

Hope your day is good,
phyllis

Saysusie
02-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Rob;
Have you had your eye appointment? How are you doing now? What was the prognosis?

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

DrinkofWtr
02-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Very strange, Rob!

I was thinking maybe you had a touch of snowblindedness, but from what I understand you loose vision when that occurs, not see red.

How many days was the power out? I remember when I was living in Oregon the power went out for about a week in a rain and wind storm. Luckily, we were prepared. It shocked me how soon candles, batteries, matches, blankets, etc. were gone from the stores(within a day or two)..It is nice to have a generator. I have one now, but didn't when I lived in Oregon.

rob
02-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Hello all,

I got my eye Dr. appointment moved up a week. It's next Wed. I stayed inside today, didn't want to have another episode like the other day. I've been doing some online reading, but I could not find any info about seeing red other than people who have had cataract surgery sometimes see red hues for a few days after surgery. So, it's still a mystery. I know it wasn't snowblindness because I have alot of experience in high altitude climbing, and know the symptoms from others on climbs who didn't have proper eye protection.

DrinkofWtr, the power was out for two days. I live literally at lands end. In one direction is a thousand miles of ocean, and in the other, thousands of square miles of wilderness, so I am prepared for just about anything that comes along. The generator is permanently wired into the house, and its just a matter of flipping a switch and hitting the start button. I have one neighbor about a mile away who is an elderly lady. I check on her when the power goes off, and told her she can stay in my guestroom if there ever is a long power outage. She has a gas heater that does not need electricity to fire up, so she'll always have heat, but I check on her anyway.

Lori, my parents live in Bangor, which is about 30 miles from me. I have two older sisters who are married with adult children. They both live close by. I have a Niece who is in law enforcement and is in the process of applying for a position at the FBI Academy in Virginia. One Nephew is a combat surgeon in Army Spec-ops, another nephew in college in Portland, and another who is following his brother and joining the Army. One sister is the admin for the Maine State Veterans Hospital and a disabled veterans advocate, and the other sister is with CPS. Pretty much everyone in the family is law enforcement/military or both. My father spent 28 years as an agent with the Dept of the Treasury and the U.S. Secret Service. I lived away from my family for many years, so I'm very glad to live near them all again. Do you have family in Oregon? Oh, and when is your guest from Japan going to arrive?

Rob

Rastagirl
02-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Rob....

Glad to hear you were able to move up your eye doc appointment...always good to stay on top of anything eye related.

Your family sounds great. Wow...Dad a past Secret Service Agent...cool. Did he ever work with any Presidents...or is that classified information? lol You're right...good to have family close by...nothing quite like that support and love.

My family are all close by in Oregon except my younger brother (by only 10 months) lives in Riverside, California. He's in nursery and landscaping and a 'Palm' expert. Gets consulting jobs for all the famous stars and celebs who have sick palms in their yards...lol He's really a kick...only takes vacations where there are palm trees. He's been all over the Caribbean and the keys. My parents are also close by and still live in the house I grew up in. My older Sister (by 14 months) lives nearby and we're very close. She's married and has one son who they adopted. They went through an open adoption and were there when he was born. Unfortunately, at age 4 months, he was diagnosed with a brain condition (a part of his brain is missing, the corpus callosum) and he is severely disabled. He's 15 years old and functions at about a 3 year old level. But he is such a sweetie...just a really happy-go-lucky, smiles and laughs all the time, kind of kid. :) I really love him.

Our guest from Japan....her name is Hatsumi....arrives March 12th. Only about 2 weeks away. Whole family is getting excited now. I've been practicing a few Japanese phrases with my son. Here...I'll try one on you....

Oyasumi Nasai

I just said 'Goodnight'. :)

Take care, Rob.....

p.s. I'm being booted off my son's computer now...he wants to email Hatsumi. :)

mountaindreamer
02-26-2009, 04:29 PM
hi rob,

glad your appointment is moved up.... hope you feel ok today.

phyllis

rob
02-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi Lori,

Dad was on Presidential detail with President Nixon, and with President Ford. He also was one of the founders of the Skymarshalls, who are now known as Federal Air Marshalls. The Skymarshalls program was in response to all the terrorist related hijackings that occured in the early 1970's. Who would have known how far it could go. He was retired, but went back to work as an instructor for two years folowing the attacks on 9-11-01.

As far as my vision, I spent some time outside today as it was overcast, and much of that 3 feet of new snow was melted and muddy looking. I had no problem like the other day. It has to be related to the totally white environment of new fallen snow, combined with a crystal clear sunny sky. I know it takes time for your eyes to adjust to the indoors after being in a bright environment, but this was different.

Hopefully I will have some clues, or answers this coming week. I'm just happy it didn't happen again today.

Rob