PDA

View Full Version : Predinisone- Does it help other injuries as well?

Bubba89
02-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone else who has been taking prednisone for a long period of time has broken bones and had less symptoms (swelling, pain, etc.) than say is "normal"? I am asking this because I know that prednisone is an anti inflammatory so I would think that it would reduce these symptoms.
I hurt my hand and it doesn't appear to be that bad but I heard a little crack when I fell on it. Since it doesn't look that bad I would feel really stupid if I went to the hospital and nothing was wrong with it. So has anyone else broken any bones even though it didn't look that bad possibly because of medications you were taking (like prednisone for example)?

mountaindreamer
02-23-2009, 06:39 PM
hi bubba89

I have definitely heard of brittle bones from predisone. I have read posts on this forum about this exact thing, so i vote that you go by and let the dr. check your hand. it could have been tissue that you heard snap, but it could have also been bone. Please check on this. Good luck and keep us posted.

sick n tired
02-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Yes, on long term high doses bones can become brittle. That is why we are instructed to take calcium/vitiman D with it. I found this on a site and I hope it helps.

Side Effects
Many of the side–effects of steroids are predictable. All are related to: 1) the amount of steroid a patient takes in his/her daily dose, and 2) the length of time the patient remains on the medication. We emphasize that not all side–effects occur in all patients.

Despite the numerous potential side–effects of corticosteroids listed below, their introduction into patient care 50 years ago revolutionized the treatment of many diseases, including vasculitis. When used properly, these drugs save lives and avert threats to the function of important organs.

One of the numerous potential side–effects of prednisone and other forms of corticosteroid treatment is hirsutism — excessive growth of body hair. Patients vary in the degree to which this side–effect of steroids occurs. Although some experience minimal hirsutism, the patient depicted here developed this side effect after taking 10 milligrams of prednisone for a few months.

Weight Gain
Glucose Intolerance
Hypertension
Increased Susceptibility to Infections
Bone Thinning
Easy Bruising
Mood Swings/Insomnia
Avascular Necrosis of bone
Abdominal Striae
Cataracts
Acne