PDA

View Full Version : Stammering...

NoodleMom
02-22-2009, 02:52 PM
What the heck? Now I am stammering. I am trying to talk. Saying something and i'll start stammering on a simple word like : I need this to go in th th th the refrigerator. Seems like it happens when I cant remember the word following the stammer. I also when I cant remember a word I will stop talking and look away for quite sometime thinking about the lost word until I can say it. Then there's the cant find the word to save my life so I have to ask others what word am I looking for? Or remind me what was I talking about or what was I saying.

I feel frustrated and stupid. I keep those feelings away from others. Those who im in contact with seem so understanding and caring. I guess thats why they are friends eh?

mountaindreamer
02-22-2009, 02:56 PM
i have always been a public speaker. I taught college, made professional presentations, etc I never had trouble with stuttering/stammering.....now, it hits me out of the blue,. and i really don't know when it started or what makes it happen.

rob
02-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I was also in a position where I had to do alot of public speaking. I never had stammering problems either. I sure do now though. The way you explained it Noodlemom is exactly how it happens to me. Terribly frustrating. I was also an A student in English in highschool and college, and now I have trouble spelling simple words. It sucks. There's no other way to put it.

Rastagirl
02-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Sometimes I feel like an idiot now. I was also a straight A student in English and I struggle now to remember vocabulary I've used for years. I breezed through school with a 'photographic' memory....never had to study....could just look at something and it was engraved in my mind. That's all gone now and it frustrates me to no end. I've always been an avid reader, now sometimes when I read I have to reread a passage over and over to remember any of the facts.

I stammer, I stutter, I can be going along in a conversation, explaining something to someone, and instantly, it's all gone out of my head. My mind goes blank. Completely blank. And I can't recall what I was talking about at all. It is sooooo frustrating.

I've always been pretty shy and reserved....not a big talker....and this has really been a blow to my confidence. I'm almost afraid of starting up a conversation with someone now, for fear I'll blank out and make myself look foolish.

Before I joined this forum, I had no idea this was something other people with Lupus were experiencing. I honestly thought I was headed for early Alzheimer's or senility. Good to know I'm just a normal Lupus patient. :)

Sometimes I wonder what it would sound like if a bunch of us with Lupus were in a room having a conversation? Could we actually have an ongoing conversation? LOL I'm thinking it might be just a bunch of fragmented, interrupted sentences with some stammering and stuttering here and there. :)

Just thought I'd share my muddled thoughts on this subject.....

Lori :)

NoodleMom
02-22-2009, 08:21 PM
I have had that alzheimers thought too.
What you are discribing is very similar to what I experience. While I was no scholar I was good wiyth words and spelling. Now i good with words yea, loosing them. spelling however...not too bad.
K

hatlady
02-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Wow....I resemble these remarks...

The other day I was doing well - meeting with a VP about a project we're working on. She asked me the name of a person I'd worked closely with for 7 years. I could get the first name, but the last? Felt like a fool.

My mother has Alzheimers - oh that thought terrifies me. Every time the words escape me I worry - will I end up like her?

Lupus is a crazy thing. Even when I think I'm doing well it knocks me in the head and says... 'remember, I'm part of you....'

iseedeadmonkeys
02-24-2009, 08:08 AM
omg yeah how many times have i looked like i fell off the dumb train!!

always happens when im on the phone, forgetting what im sposed to say is another big one, i have to cover it with summin completely random instead of saying over and over again "ive forgotton what i was gonna say, give me a min" soooo annoying grrr!!

DrinkofWtr
02-24-2009, 08:47 AM
I will stammer only when I am nervous. Like when lecturing in front of a class and the kids
would interrupt my lecture, or make some rude comment!

sick n tired
02-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I also was a public speaker who had total command of the English language. I was the top speller in the school growing up. Now I both stammer and my spelling at times is horrid. thank God for spell check or I would look a right moran. I have wondered about Alzheimer's for me many times.

AyahsClan
02-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Oh yes, it makes me feel stupid too. I don't stammer so much as forget words. I will often, usually on a daily basis have to describe what I am talking about for example: I'll forget my dogs name and say, "the old black dog".

I have lost a lot of my memory. It is very interesting when out of the blue I make a connection with something or someone and remember even details. I feel as though I am losing who I am. It is like the movie "50 First Dates" but not that extreme of course. My niece told me that when she saw the movie "Nemo" (the little fish who is looking for his dad,) that I remind her of the fish named Dori. After I seen it I laughed and said thanks a lot! But it is true. I think it hurts my grown children the most because I have forgotten much of their childhood, and I am different.

My linux operating system has automatic spell check which is great because my spelling has gone downhill too.

On the bright side I have forgotten the bad stuff too! I hold no grudges because I don't remember past wrongs done to me..lol..there is always a bright side somewhere.

Faith
02-24-2009, 04:16 PM
I stutter as well or can't get the word pronounced correctly. It's very frustrating. I used to be the spelling queen; not anymore. I have also noticed I can't remember names or I will inadvertantly switch and child's name with the parent's first name. I was sending out an email from work and inadvertantly typed the wrong name to which I received an email back. It was very, very embarrassing.

It makes feel better knowing I am not alone not that I wish the symptoms on anyone.

Take care,

Faith

NoodleMom
02-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Tonite case in point trying to tell the kids to put the ketchup away but for the life of me I cant find the word so I said "put that stuff away that we put on french fries. Its a good thing I didnt lose the word french fries.

kukukajoo
02-24-2009, 09:39 PM
I could not even remember my aunt's name in a conversation the other day! I knew names were hard for me, but I was horrified!

Ditto on the spelling as well, it is terrible lately....

tiggerlishus - Heidi
02-25-2009, 04:43 AM
reading every ones comments its ring ever such large familier bells !!!!

i have never been the most cleverest person in the world being diagnosed with ahh bugger see forgetten the word dislexia thats it!! in my late teenage life being told i was a picture person had to think of thigs like a picture to plod along. But over the last 5-6 months i been progressilly worse at point not even being able to spell words like and , for , & on they seem to jumbled up having full blown conversation with someone and they say its like the switch has been flicked adn i go in to my own world and i lose all thought goes out the window and it can take me a while to remember what i was going to say or it can go oppsite way and i can hear and see peopel talking but it not actually register and i have to ask them to repeat what they say which doesn't always go down well specially when i'm sitting in class at college!! Well as far as memory and worrying about alchizermers think thats how that spelt! i forget every thing from have i took the medicine five seconds ago to whati did with my keys yesterday to not remember people or incidents ten years ago and i have not yet reached 30!! it has got that worring that consultant got a mri done after i told i was in town heading to one shop and ended up out side another with no memory o f why or really how i got there !! well the mri came back all major ones were ok but there were some small black dots, and she said that could be just that happens and its just the lupus or something to do with the hughes syndrome i have cause of the lupus so have to go back in 3 weeks!! so whatch this space!! but it is comforting in away to know not the ony one going throu same thing!! thouit obviously not nice for you to go throu it and i think that would be very funny to get all in same room!!