PDA

View Full Version : anyone get stomach aches with lupus?

Heather3188
02-21-2009, 08:32 PM
I've noticed in the past month or so I've been having a lot of stomach aches.. sometimes very mild and sometimes a light stabbing pain in different parts (it feels intestinal) and my lower back always hurts.. around the intestinal area. It's a very achy feeling around my ascending colon. (My boyfriend said that is about where it would be) I havent been diagnosed with lupus yet.. my internal spec. thinks I have some sort of auto immune but not sure what kind. I go to the rhematologist Monday. Any advice? I already made a list of my symptoms.. anything from frequent to infrequent. I've also noticed how horrible achy my joints are getting. especially knees,elbows, ankles and wrists. I'm only 22 and a year ago I was as healthy as ever! And don't even get me started on this wrash!

My internal spec. that is sending me to the rheumatologist did a lupus panel and it all came back negative.. but he can't explain why. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for all your answers, support and advice!

sick n tired
02-21-2009, 10:30 PM
hey Heather,

Nice to meet you but I am so sorry you are feeling ill. I have intestinal and esophageal pain. More so lately. I am not sure if it is because of the meds or not.
The lupus panel is used to see certain things...the only problem is sometimes you have a false negative and then others there may be a false positive...this is a weird illness. I have strange things with mine. for instance I will have some of the tests show that my liver is really affected and then other tests show it is ok..all in the same panel.
I hope you get some relief if not answers soon.

AyahsClan
02-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi Heather,

Sorry you are going through so much, I hope they have answers and help for you soon.

I have wretched stomach and esophageal issues, stomach pain is a symptom of a flare for some with lupus but can have so many other reasons too. If I eat a super strict diet it helps a lot with stomach and intestinal pain , but it is hard to not munch on comfort food when the body pain is bad, which makes the stomach worse.

My diagnoses' started 25 years ago with a variety of symptoms and a positive autoimmune antibody test. My body attacked my thyroid first and was dx with hashimotoes thyroiditus, then came other dx which lead to the dx of lupus. It was a long road but that is common too.

Good luck with all the testing.

Hang in there,

Ayah

Saysusie
02-23-2009, 11:16 AM
It is quite possible that you may have another auto-immune issue happening. There are several that might cause problems in the digestive tract. However, it is not uncommon for people with Lupus to suffer from digestive problems, including loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhea and weight loss. Irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS, is a common complaint amongst persons with Lupus, especially if they suffer from the co-existing illness known as Fibromyalgia. IBS goes by several different names. It is also called spastic colon, spastic bowel, mucous colitis, spastic colitis, colitis, intestinal neurosis, and functional bowel disease.These symptoms include bloating, gas, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain and spasms, and nausea. The pain is often triggered by eating, so people suffering from IBS donít always eat enough, which results in malnutrition.

Chron's disease is another auto-immune disorder that many Lupus patients suffer from. Crohnís disease is an ongoing disorder that causes inflammation of the digestive tract, also referred to as the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Crohnís disease can affect any area of the GI tract, from the mouth to the anus, but it most commonly affects the lower part of the small intestine, called the ileum. The swelling extends deep into the lining of the affected organ. The swelling can cause pain and can make the intestines empty frequently, resulting in diarrhea. Crohnís disease is an inflammatory bowel disease, the general name for diseases that cause swelling in the intestines. The symptoms of Crohnís disease are quite similar to the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis. Therefore, all three disorders are difficult to diagnose. Together, they are frequently referred to as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD

Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammation of the large intestine (colon). In patients with ulcerative colitis, ulcers and inflammation of the inner lining of the colon causes symptoms of abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding. Ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease are caused by abnormal activation of the immune system in the intestines. This abnormal activation can be due to underlying diseases, such as Lupus.

It might be advisable for you to bring your symptoms to the attention of your doctor so that appropriate tests can be run and the exact cause of your symptoms determined. Perhaps then, treatment can be begun.

I wish you the best
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sick n tired
02-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks Saysusie...the GI Doc was the next on my list to call and get in for a scope...after the neurologist and cardiologist, that is.

I am going to re read what you posted so I am a little bit more knowledgeable when I see him.

Hugs

Saysusie
02-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Please let us know what you find out and what type of treatments are prescribed. I do hope that you begin to feel better soon.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Heather3188
02-25-2009, 04:12 PM
they decided to do another lupus pannel along with a few other tests.. then they did a biopsy of the rash on my face and on my arm. they told me over and over that it may leave a small scar on my face.. i said, I'd rather have a small scar then no idea whats wrong with me for years and years...