PDA

View Full Version : Good Lupus treatment

ssingh
02-20-2009, 04:06 PM
I am new to this site. I was diagnosed with LUPUS about 12 years ago. I do not see many posts about best treatment combinations that worked best for anyone? I think that would help someone. or if someone tried any think other than traditional medicine that helped.

mountaindreamer
02-21-2009, 12:10 AM
hi ssingh,

welcome to the site. lupus is such an individual disease, that people get different treatments. Most are on plaquenil, some are also on prednisone and either imuron or methatrexate (both are immunesuppresent meds). Other than that people tend to be on various meds that treat symptoms of various other attaching syndromes/diseases.

I have searched many reputable lupus treatment facilities, and have not found much on alternative treatments. There is one member who is going to try accupuncture....hope it works.

I remember when i first started, i found a lot of information in the "sticky" sections. Sorry I can't be more help. But, I am sure someone will be along who can do a better job.

welcome to the group,

ssingh
02-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks, I have tried basically everything including Homeopathy. I am on Prednisone, Cellcept and Plaqunil at this time. kind of barely feel ok.

mountaindreamer
02-21-2009, 12:28 PM
yeah i know,

you would think that with all of the disgusting meds, we could at least feel decent.

ssingh
02-21-2009, 12:39 PM
I my case I would not say decent, was doing ok for about 7 years on these meds but after I had Shingles last year it has not been the same. I was positive EBV(ebstien Barr.)

Tootles
02-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Hello ssing,

My name is Deb and in June I was diagnoised with lupus. I am currently taking 1500 mg of cellcept (can not take anymore mg or it causes migraines), 400 mg of plaquinel, 7.5 mg of prednisone (I just reached this mg a few weeks ago) and other vitamins and RX's. I never have more than one good day in a row. I was wondering what your doses of the meds are and how long you have been on them?

Hope you are having a good today.

Take care, Deb

ssingh
02-21-2009, 12:52 PM
hi Deb
I been on this for last 12 years. my sister have LUPUS as well. It woked for me for me the but not now as good. Before I started this I took few treatments of IV cytoxan. In begining I was on high doses of prednisone. but now I am on 7.5mg prednisone, 2000mg Cellcept and 400mg plaqunil and few others. I am 39 year old male and SLE is harsher in men per my doctor.

kducks
02-21-2009, 02:51 PM
It was trial and error with alot of drug combos for me. As much as I hated it, prednisone saved my life. After high doses of it to get me somewhat stable, my doctor put me on a methotrexate/plaquneil combo to help get me off the steriods. It took a few years of slowly lowering doses, but I was finally able to come off the pred. Years later I was able to come off the methotrexate and am lucky enough to only have to take the plaq once a day now. It's been 16 years since my diagnoses and I can say I am one of the lucky ones to have found relative peace with this disease and have lived "medically controlled" for many years now.