PDA

View Full Version : Raising the HDL, the good cholesterol.

cheryl_v
02-20-2009, 03:18 PM
How can you raise your good cholesterol, other than exercising (that's the only thing I know).

I been having my cholesterol level checked more often. Here goes:

November:

Cholesterol 161

LDL 92

HDL 40

February:

Cholesterol 141

LDL 87

HDL 35

I have no idea how it has dropped so fast. It normally takes me a year to drop the bads and raise the good by 2-3 points. What is up? Please tell me how to raise the good, any ideas?

Faith
02-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Cheryl,

Congrats as I wish I had your cholesterol rates. lol. I was told to eat more greens and fruits. You are doing very well. What's the secret? I eat lots of greens, numbers aren't down yet. I probably need to eat more fruits.

Take care,

Faith

sick n tired
02-20-2009, 09:29 PM
I was told to eat greens, fruit, and fish or naturally low cal stuff. I agree with Faith, though...your cholesterol is what many just dream about...good for you!

cheryl_v
02-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks. I was told to raise my HDL when it was 40. I know doc's going to say something about it dropping more. Exercise is hard to do during cold weather due to pain. I have been stressed and not eating right. Thanks you two for bringing that to my attention.

I eat fish 2x a week and drink 1-2 quarts of soy milk a week. I buy plain, so as to flavor as I wish. Doc said doing these 2 things is probably what's lowering it good. As to everything else, I unfortunately just eat what I can grab. I know thats not good.

I was just a little worried on the HDL. The more I try to raise, the lower it gets. It was flagged on the result page and marked to see the doc. In the last 12 months the HDL has dropped 14 points. It normally stays the same or goes up 2 or down 2. Stayed between 48-52. Anything below 40 is to low. Theirs no limit on max.

Everything else was good and in the norm range. Except glucose, 109. So going to watch that closely. Thanks for the info, it'll be a bit easier than I thought.

cheryl_v
02-21-2009, 12:08 PM
I forgot, doc said to omit lunchmeat/cold cuts and hot dogs. Lots of hidden cholesterol.

Faith
02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi Cheryl,

Thank you for the help. I eat cold cuts and hot dogs sometimes; although mostly is pj&b grilled sandwiches. I will stop the cold cuts and hot dogs.

Faith

cheryl_v
02-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Welcome Faith. I love pb&j's too. Never thought to grill them. Here's a tip I learned, strawberry jam (or preserves) has same amount of vitamin C as fresh strawberries. Actually, strawberries do not lose their vitamins during cooking or canning. They are the one fruit that never loses it, no matter what you do to it. So I use it on my sandwhich for extra vitamin C boost. In vegetables, its carrots. They do not lose their vitamin A or beta carotine. Cooking actually brings the beta carotine out more. Some fun facts I've learned over the years.

Ever tried a grilled chocolate/strawberry sandwhich? Got it from food network. 2 slices of french bread with nutello chocolate/hazel nut spead and sliced strawberries. So yummy, just love it. You have to try it. Careful when you flip it, the strawberries slip. Enjoy your day.

hatlady
02-24-2009, 07:51 AM
I went to a very "Mediterannean" diet - no meat, but I do eat seafood maybe 1-2 times a week. Shrimp, wild-caught tuna and salmon (farm raised salmon is not very healthy), trout. LOTS of greens, veggies, olive oil (extra virgin, cold pressed), walnuts, almonds, beans....pasta (esp whole wheat or other whole grain), other whole grain or high fiber breads/crackers. A bit of cheese - esp harder cheeses - cheddar, parmisan, etc...

But NO TILAPIA - which is high in the WRONG omegas. Same with corn oil - bad....

I'm very lucky in that my cholesterol, while high, is high because my HDL is SOOO high! Partly heridity, I'm sure. But I do think the diet helps. Oils and fats are not bad things, as long as you stick with the ones that are high omega 3.

Changing my diet to cut out meat wasn't that hard - there are so many good substitutes out there now, and good fish is....so very good!

cheryl_v
02-24-2009, 09:38 AM
I don't eat much meat either, don't really care for it much. I cut beef out to cut down on joint pain, wasn't hard since I didn't really eat it much anyways. Although I do eat a lot of talapia, didn't know that. I'll just stick to flounder and whiting. I do eat catfish and wild salmon when I can afford it.

Thanks for the tid bit. Reading your list, I realized that I don't have much fiber in my diet. My fruit and nut intake is low too, now that I think about it. I use the same olive oil, and I use canola oil. Suppose to have healthy fats as the olive oil, just over all lower fat content. For the cheese, I can only eat a few. Really aged cheese causes bad migranes. I can only eat american, mozzzarella, colby and moterey jack.

Thanks again for the advise, brought some things into focus. With 3 kids, I eat poorly. I think I need to get that under control and I'll be ok.

jenniferlynn
02-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi there, back in my good old days of working full time, I sold many cholesterol drugs (I was a pharmaceutical rep). One that I sold was excellent for increasing your HDL or good cholesterol. It was basically a prescription for vitamin B3 or niacin. Niacin naturally increases your good cholesterol and actually can lower your bad LDL number too.

The problem is that it is very hard to take because your body goes through a "flushing" sensation where you feel hot all over and your skin can turn reddish. This can be bad for us because we have lupus.

It's been years, but they make a prescription version of niacin now that counteracts the flushing sensation. It's called Niaspan. You have to get it from your doctor, but it would be work checking into.

Hopefully that is useful information for you.

cheryl_v
02-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks, I'll have to check that out for sure.