PDA

View Full Version : Pannick attacks?

iseedeadmonkeys
02-18-2009, 05:22 AM
Anyone else experience these?

I woke up to a pannick attack this morning 07:30, i also had a very crap nights sleep woke up 3 times and had sleep paralysis too, and have had a futher 3 more attacks, ive not got anything on my mind apart from going out with my girls tmrw night :)

im gonna blame the pred for this one as i have no idea what else it is!

ISDM
xx

cheryl_v
02-18-2009, 05:55 AM
I don't take meds, but havve them on ocassions. I have fibro, so just assumed that was why. Keep forgeting to tell doc. Who knows why.

Angel Oliver
02-18-2009, 05:59 AM
Oh ISDM,

Im so sorry to hear you too suffer with panic attacks. Yes i too have the ''demon'' attacks as i call them and they are so awful....im sending you gentle hugs.

Even though you want know this in your conscious state of mind, but there is something about going out ''with the girls'' that is frightening you. I know this because i had the same thing happen to me the other week when i went to my first party in maybe 3 years. In the last year i had not really left the house, except for medical appointments.

If im not mistaken this is what is happening, in your mind, without you even knowing about it.

1. You have had a panic attack and know how terrible ''that'' feeling is and you do not want to embarrass yourself or show your friends how you react to this debilitating ''demon''.

2. You are thinking subconsciously, what if i have an attack and i spoil the night? What will they think of me?

3.In the past, somewhere, you have probably had an attack in public.....you want to avoid at all costs this situation ever happening again.

4. If one of your friends is actually taking you out, so you are relying on them for transport, you will be thinking...what if i want to go home early and they want to stay later?

All this will be going on without your knowledge. The mind is such a complex piece of equipment in our heads. (I tried selling mine on ebay :) )

The other week when i was invited to an 18th, i tried every trick in the book to get out of going.I was so anxious, stopped sleeping, worried i may see someone from work, or someone i do not feel comfortable around.I worried, what if i have a panic attack, i'll look stupid, what if i want to leave after an hour.To make matters worse they wanted me to sleep at their house. In the end after my 3rd attempt at saying no...they sorted out someone to pick me up and take me to the party. They sat me with people i felt comfortable around.I also had a plan in case i needed to leave early.They said bring your stay over bag and if i want to leave early, i can just get a taxi home.I explained i have insomnia, i told them i may scream at night or even get into bed with them (so embarrasing, but they saw the funny side) i had everything covered to make me feel safe.
You know what, i got there, yes i didnt dance as i wanted too as i had no energy, but what a fab night i had.They really took care of me and noone knew i was suffering so much inside.

My advice is, go through situations in your mind that you may think will cause an attack. I understand like me, they can just happen, for what seems to be no reason what so ever.But if you think deeper, the answer is there. Just do what i did, make sure every situation is covered. If you are with ''understanding and caring'' friends they will make sure you are taken care of.

Make sure you still go out though.You will be so surprised at yourself.Even if for a short time.Go and enjoy yourself. You so deserve it. Now when i went out to the party, i had no sleep for nearly 2 days, because the ''demon'' was trying to make me stay at home. You fight it Jane and you need to go out . You so deserve some enjoyment and fun.If you want i'll give you my mobile number, so if at any point you feel one coming on....you call me and i'll help you through it. Go and enjoy yourself. Oh i just thought of another one. I was afraid if they saw me all dolled up, they too wont believe i am sick. Its amazing when you have panic attacks, the conversations that go on in our minds.

I wont tell you about mine, cause this is your thread, but please go, even if you feel anxious. I swear you will enjoy that time out of the house.When you get out...focus on fun.Repeat in your mind....breath....breath in through your nose and breath out through your mouth. Do this 5 times to bring down your heartrate.You will then slowly start cooling down too.

Hope this helps you.You need fun times you deserve it. :) or as the advert says.....
''im worth it'' lol :)

Love
Angel.xxx

iseedeadmonkeys
02-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Thank you angel :)

Yeah i already got that one planned i always had done, i get that lot to come to my local in case that happens, i try so hard to keep the group togther lol so dunno what else to suggest really, i have got alot on for tmrw catching bus to my mums spending the day with her and my family, going shoppin then out with the girls tmrw, i like to walk down there by myself i dont rely on lifts i like time to clear my head b4 i see them all, so thats all cool too, i do get scared my back wont let me atm tho, im having alot of probs with it right now, im trying to chill out as much as i can today but i have to dye my hair soon lol, anyway thanx again you all,

btw i am trying to get you on msn but dont seem to be having much luck lol :(

peace

ISDM
xx

Angel Oliver
02-18-2009, 06:34 AM
Hey today you a ISDM day. Now please be careful with your hair dye lol :) Look what happened to my colour when it all went badly wrong.Its funny now, but at the time OMG so horrible.Go to my photo album and see.....and no laughing.....lol :) It was a couple of years ago now.

Have a nice relaxing bath after you do your hair.Take your time with everything.No sudden moves, be careful with your back. That hot bath will ease it a little.

Tomorrow, take your time with everything. Take plenty of painkillers for your back and not to much alcahol.We dont want you posting photos of you drunk lol :) You enjoy getting ready tomorrow evening and just let yourself go with the flow when you get there.

Love
Angel.

Yes ive tried msn.....it says maintenance on mine.Try it every 10 mins maybe theyre doing something...updating n stuff. xxx

rob
02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
ISDM,

I used to have pretty bad panic attacks. Shrink said it was from PTSD. Had some bad stuff happen years ago. The attacks were debilitating. My heart would race, adrenaline would jolt me, basically I would go into fight or flight mode. Have you ever spoken to a counselor about this? It really helped me. There were situations that would trigger the attacks, and I didn't realize it. Hope you can get it under control, I know how scary it is when they happen.

Rob

cheryl_v
02-18-2009, 01:37 PM
How are you doing today ISDM? Hoping everything goes well for you. Did you dye your hair? How does the hair look and feel? Did you have fun today? Was thinking of you and thought I'd ask.

Panic attacks are hard. My last one was in a department store with my 3 kids and the neighbor who drove me. The chest pains and the inability to breath was almost more than I could bare. If it wasn't for the looks on my kids faces, I don't know how I would have made it thru.

Hey Rob, any suggestions on help if you can't afford a counsler? Its kind of why I don't drive, I get panic attacks when I try. I get to the highway with all those cars and I can't move, the pains back. I don't know how I'll ever get my liscence at this rate. Being in my mid 30's, its becoming a pain to always find a driver for my own vehicle. I really would like to do it myself.

iseedeadmonkeys
02-18-2009, 02:04 PM
yeah cheers, i will look into councilling i kkno we get them free over here well for six of the sessions anyway, but thts cool, i kno it sounds silly but i think its because of tmrw night, im looking forward to seeing everyone in the same room i dont kno who to speak to first, alot of them like my sarky humour so they have all been txting me making sure im deffently gonna be there, isnt that nice?, i hope it all goes ok, i was chatting to angel ealeir today on msn (i hope she wont mind me saying this), i told her that from the last time i went out i was put in the middle and asked why i wasnt working and all eyes were on me, made me feel really low and small, when i responded with "cause im not well, and im taking a bit of time off to get my health back together again" the response was "so you doing it down the pub getting pissed?" actually no i wasnt getting pissed i was enjoying an evening with my friends at the local pub, i looked over at my cousin and when we was out smoking, he said dont worry about it Janey you dont need peeps like that who dont understand, im so pleased i wasnt the only one who noticed it,

Anyway Billy (my cousin) came to see me today which was good i needed cheering up :) and he said some really nice things to me like im wonderful and its such a shame its me tht has to hold the crew together, he works with 2 of the girls, anyway im proper looking forward to it, gonna be such a busy day tmrw ive got so much to do, catch bus to mums, go for a load of bloods, go shopping and then get ready lol, im telling you all this cause i say it to my mates and they think wtf?? lol, anyway....

Hair came out brown thankfully no grey in sight, had a very strange reation to the colour then a clump of hair came out ahhh well the day and life living with lupus...ya never kno whats next ;)

peace to you all
all my love
Jane
xxx

BonusMom
02-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Oh ISDM,

All this will be going on without your knowledge. The mind is such a complex piece of equipment in our heads. (I tried selling mine on ebay :) )

Oh Angel--too funny! I can only imagine seeing that listing on E-Bay LOL!

rob
02-18-2009, 03:16 PM
How are you doing today ISDM? Hoping everything goes well for you. Did you dye your hair? How does the hair look and feel? Did you have fun today? Was thinking of you and thought I'd ask.

Panic attacks are hard. My last one was in a department store with my 3 kids and the neighbor who drove me. The chest pains and the inability to breath was almost more than I could bare. If it wasn't for the looks on my kids faces, I don't know how I would have made it thru.

Hey Rob, any suggestions on help if you can't afford a counsler? Its kind of why I don't drive, I get panic attacks when I try. I get to the highway with all those cars and I can't move, the pains back. I don't know how I'll ever get my liscence at this rate. Being in my mid 30's, its becoming a pain to always find a driver for my own vehicle. I really would like to do it myself.

The best thing I can recommend is to shop around for a counselor who has a sliding pay scale. Since I'm on full disability, my sessions end up being $30 for each 90 minute meeting. As far as driving, do you have decent public transportation where you live? Maybe a shuttle bus? I wish I had more ideas.

Angel Oliver
02-18-2009, 04:41 PM
ISDM....you ignore any negative comments.....only hear the positive funny ones tmrw and you enjoy YOUR night out. (I'll be watching you in spirit to make sure :) )

Bonus mom.....lol i know its still there....for sale, but still no takers lol :)make an offer lol it's under recycling or used goods :)

Cheyl v..... do you not have like a ring and ride bus that can pick you up from your home and you pay a minimal fee, cause you have Lupus? Over here in the UK we have ring n ride and they collect you from home for 1.00 then bring you back.

Angel.xxx

cheryl_v
02-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I live in the woods on a dirt road. No transportation comes this far. I'll have to learn to conqure my fear I suppose. Any advice is always good, even if it doesn't help. Gets the mind reeling on track to other things. So thanks Rob and Angel, for at least trying.

Rastagirl
02-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Just wondering... Do you have Medical insurance coverage?

When I needed to see a counselor in the past, I discovered that in addition to the Physical and Occupational Therapy benefits, I also had a certain number of sessions per year with a Social Worker included in my policy. Most 'Counselors' have their Social Work credentials, if not all. My doc made a referral based on my medical diagnosis. The issue I was experiencing was exacerbated by my Lupus and the problems that go along with it, and affecting the treatment of my Lupus.

I searched around and found a Family Counselor that changed my life. When I showed up for the first session, I discovered she had Lupus herself. Talk about a perfect fit! And when my insurance-paid sessions ran out, she saw me on a 'sliding fee' scale, just like Rob mentioned, and allowed me extra time to pay off any money I owed.

Are the panic attacks something you've always had, or something that came since the Lupus diagnosis? Just curious.

Not sure if this will help at all, but just thought I'd share the info.

Lori :)

cheryl_v
02-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Hi, I never even thought of that. I'll have to check it out. The driving panic attacks are from mum's driving. She was awful, still is. I don't ride with her anywhere. She doesn't look forward often, always looking at you and things on the side of the road. She has nearly hit head on more times than I care to remember. She can't turn corners without going into the other lane. She has night blindness, but still drives at night. Once when she lived near, a friend and I thought we would visit her. She pulled from the drive and speed our way. I told him to move, he didn't. He had to jump into the ditch. She gets tunnel vision when she's alone, focuses ahead without even glancing around. Many have complained when she drove alone. Was so glad she moved, got the neighborhood of my back. I know I will not drive like her, I just know there are people out there like her and that scares me. I also don't like crowded places, and roads are. Its something I'm going to have to eventually conqure.

As for the other attacks, noticed them shortly after my fibro dx. I have FMS, not lupus I believe. Although with the joints I do wonder. These are coming more frequent, and harder to come down from. I have 3 kids, so remind myself to keep it together for them. I have too. Just not sure how much longer it'll help.

ISDM, how was your day?

mountaindreamer
02-19-2009, 07:38 AM
hi cheryl,

I was diagnosed with fibro 13 years ago, and just this past oct. lupus was added. The joint pains etc. are not fibro. There are specific trigger points that will flare and cause extreme pain. I have found that the pain in the joints, hands, feet, hips, etc are not fibro. You may have both like i do.

I do not suffer from panic, but my son does. We have had the most interesting conversations, that have shed a light on what he goes through. We have been at the store before, and he will say "mom, I feel like everyone in the store is looking at me and judging me." I guess since I don't have panic attacks, I really can't understand the magnitude of his situation (sorta like us with lupus and others who can't understand) but I do realize this is a real problem, and I wish i had the answers.

So sorry you are going through this, and I really hope that someone can help....my son really struggles with this.

phyllis

cheryl_v
02-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Those are my major pain ares too. The doc I have acts like fibro can effect joints in certain ways and cause pain. So I just gave up arguing.

I feel for your son, thats the way I feel. Like they're looking and closing in. I shut my eyes and breathe, and count to 10 slowly. If it doesn't work, I stare at the floor and softly hum while walking. When someone does mention the humming, I just tell them I have a song stuck in my head. Good senerio on the way he feels. I like the comprarison.