View Full Version : Very sad day!

02-15-2009, 12:06 PM
I was out on cymbalta Wednesday.I was started at 30mg and next Wednesday I move up to 60mg. It is making me feel sooooooo sick. I am living in a constant state of nausea and it is making me feel soooooo sad and miserable. The worst part is that Tim is only home for a few days before he is off to work again, this time for quite a while. I do not want to feel like this when he is home. I was up and down all last night with nausea that I really didn't get much sleep. Now I am sooooo tired,can't eat a thing and feel so sad. I am trying to make the decision that I will not feel like this today but there are some things that are just there.......

02-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi Danica...

I'm so sorry you're feeling this terrible. :( Nausea is just awful....When it comes in waves like that and nothing seems to help. It can be overwhelming. I spent 7-1/2 months of a pregnancy with severe nausea, so I understand. I wish I could take it away for you. That's just not fair...when you want to have these last few days with Tim and have some quality time, and you just feel like crap. I'm sending you sorrowful hugs.

Did your doctor tell you that nausea might be a side effect of the drug? Maybe the extended release pills are just too much for your system. I remember taking a medication once when the extended release pills were too much for me. My system couldn't handle it. They were just a little stronger than the regular dose, and because it was released throughout the day and night, I just kept getting sicker and sicker. My doc had me try the regular prescription and it worked a whole lot better. I was able to have an exact amount of the medication for each dose. He told me that some people just didn't tolerate the extended release tabs, it was too much on a continual basis. You might try calling your doctor on Monday just to run it by them. Especially if they want you to increase the dose this Wednesday. They should know this is going on.

I wish I had some better advice to offer for the nausea. I do know you can't go too long without getting something in your stomach. How long has the nausea been this bad? Just today? When did you last eat? Sorry to bring that up....I know it's hard to hear when you feel this awful. I'm just concerned about you.

Please know that I'm feeling terrible for you, and wish you weren't suffering today. I'm sorry you have to feel like this, Danica.

Gentle Hugs.....


Lori :)

02-15-2009, 03:11 PM
I ate Wednesday morning and tool the first dose.......I couldn't stomach much after that. I tried soup but it was just too much. Thursday was tough and go. I was able to eat a bit of toast before the second dose. Thursday after that again, it was a bit too much. Friday I ate a banana before the third dose and later that night I tried some pasta but couldn't get through much of that. Yesterday I ate another banana before the fourth dose. I did not try to eat after that until 7 and I ate a vegi dog and a little pasta and was up sick ALL night. I ate a banana this morning before the fifth dose and that didn't stay in too long. So, now I am tired, can not stop crying and am as sick to my stomach as ever.

I had to switch doctors because my insurance changed. We thought it might not be bad idea to have fresh eyes look over everything again. I forgot what that really meant, it means they end up wanting to change everything, everything that used to work to things that may work if you can get past months of feeling like your inside are rotting out.

I actually just called the doctor and asked what was going on. He said that this is a side effect and it usually goes away but some people just can not tolerate it. He said that they forget to warn people and I told him a little warning would have been good because I thought I was just going crazy......he said that this is as real as it gets. Because I am not keeping anything in me the food can not help absorb any of it and it is just sitting there. He said that I can make the call and that it is completely understandable if I can not take it. The worst part is that it is in my system for the next 24 hours from the dose I took this morning. I guess the positive is that after tonight I can decide that it is to much and we will just have to try something else. I have had it.......I am taking over now......I am the boss of my health!!!!!

02-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Oh, Danica, I'm so sorry it had to get so bad. I'm really glad you called your doctor, though. You are very right....take your health back, and do what's right for you and your body. Every doctor is going to have their way of doing things, and you've got to stick up for yourself and educate them about what you've done in the past that has worked for you, and what hasn't worked for you. Don't be afraid to share as much information as you think is needed with each new doctor you see.

While you're waiting for this dose to get out of your system, instead of trying to stomach too much at first, why don't you try a very bland diet for the rest of today and tomorrow. Don't start until the nausea lets up a little, if it does. Then just nibble on dry saltine crackers and try just little sips of water or clear liquid. Don't give your stomach too much to handle at first. When you feel like it, you might try some very mild, warm tea with a little honey in it. Just a few sips at first to try and soothe your stomach. That's what I'm giving my son right now. He has a bad cold with a sore throat and his stomach has felt awful. He's been asking for a cup of tea every 2 or 3 hours and says it makes his stomach feel a little better.

If you can tolerate that, then maybe try some clear chicken broth, just a little at first to see how it sits. Maybe make some toast with a tiny bit of butter and take small pieces and dip in the broth to nibble on. Try your best to work your way up to sips of water, as well, so you don't end up dehydrated. That can happen pretty quickly when you're not eating or drinking. The bananas are good, but go slowly at first on them also. Instead of eating a whole one, break off tiny pieces and eat just a little. The key is to ease your stomach back into food. Take everything slowly and in small amounts at first. If you're still really nauseated, then stop and give your stomach a break. Try again in a few hours.

One thing that sometimes helps me when I'm overwhelmed with nausea is to try to get a comfortable place to get cozy. On the couch or bed and bring the things you need near you, so you don't have to move around too much. I always find that the more I move around, especially my head, the sicker I feel. So lay low, maybe ask Tim to bring you the things you need (if he's around now), take the food and water very, very slowly and try to get your body a little rest, if you can. Even 10 or 15 minutes here or there. Try to close your eyes and breathe slowly...in through your nose....slowly out through your mouth.

Danica, I'll pray that this will pass soon for you. I'm sorry you feel so crappy. I wish I was there to give you a hug and help you stop crying. :(

Please know that I am thinking of you today....

Lori :)

02-15-2009, 06:03 PM
You are taking care of your son and me today! After reading what you suggested I have some hot mint tea next to me. I also made sure I was in my most comfy clothes in bed. I have my computer next to, my books,magazines and all remotes for the tv. I even have the heating pad for my cold toes! Tim is going to get some crackers and movies and we are going to have a very nice movie night in bed. He will even tickle my back so that I can find some comfort. He said he would rather be home when I am not feeling well than to be gone where he can not take care of me:) We are just going to get through this next 24 hours and go from there but we are both thinking this one might not be for me.

I do have another question for you, what do you suggest with all the other medicine I normally take during the evening? Should I only take what I need and start the rest back up when I am feeling better? Ahhhhhhh, the tea feels so good as goes into my stomach! It amazes me how the warmth actually helps! Your son has it right!

Thanks again for being here with me while I am going through this. You are really helping me get through this and I am so thankful for you and all your kind words. It is hard and a bit scary but it would be 100% worse if it weren't for you! I am going to take it really easy when it comes to food intake over the next few days. I remember after surgery reintroducing things slowly was very important and I know the same goes for this too. I hope your son feels better very soon and I will welcome any kind words or thoughts right now! Thank you for looking out for me! You have helped dry up my tears and put a smile back on my face, thank you!

02-15-2009, 07:56 PM

I am so glad to hear a few things are working for you. And I'm really glad you have Tim there with you to help out. It's so hard when you're feeling that way, to have to do all those things for yourself. Give him a hug for me! :)

It sounds like you've got a good plan for this evening. It sounds perfect...just what you need.

To answer your question about your meds.....I remember very well the times I was so nauseated and just had to get my pills down somehow. I remember when I couldn't keep them down, just knowing I was probably gonna end up in the hospital with an IV for meds, and I would cry and tell my husband I don't want to go. So, here's what I would suggest....obviously there are some meds that are crucial and you must take them, so start with those. Take them one at a time. Go slow just the way you did with the food and liquid. Maybe when you've been able to keep a little bit of something down foodwise, try taking just one of your pills. Then take it real easy for awhile, and see if your stomach will accept it. If that works, and you keep it down, take it easy for a little while, maybe watch your movie and see how you feel. If it goes well, pick out the next most important pill and try that one. I guess I'll leave that as a way to start. See if you have some success. I consider success if you get one pill down and it stays. If you start feeling bad again, stop and let your stomach rest. It might take you all through the evening to get them in, but if that's what it takes, then so be it.

You know what each of your medications is for and how important it is to take every day, so let yourself be the judge if there are any you could miss for one night and not jeopardize your health. Of course, that's the most important thing.

Sorry it took me awhile to answer you on this one.....I had to take care of some of my Sunday chores so we had dishes to eat off of. :)

I will be praying that this works for you tonight, and that you'll be able to get some much needed rest after this trying day. I'm glad I could help you, and let you know that you are not alone, Danica. Knowing that I helped dry your tears a bit, and let you feel a little hope is my blessing in this. Because I have been right where you are so many times, I feel I cannot let others go through it alone!

Enjoy your cuddling and movie night......


Lori :)

02-16-2009, 03:11 PM
How are you feeling today? Did you get through the night?

I hope things are much better for you today.....


Lori :)

02-16-2009, 03:48 PM
hi Danica,

Lori gave you such good advice. I too try to get everything close by when nauseated, and try not to move too much. The advice about taking meds sounds like it might work. Good idea. I just don't try to take the "less necessary" meds instead of being reasonable like Lori recommended.

I tried Cymbalta, and could NOT take it. It made me weird, and I took myself off. I have a lot of trouble with meds, so I am probably not the norm.

Anyway, hope you had a night of rest, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.


Angel Oliver
02-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi Danica,

I have just gone ''live'' as they say lol...wish my body would though lol :)

Oh i am so sorry to read how sick you have been. I so hope you are doing much better.Let me know when you can. Sending you gentle hugs.


02-20-2009, 12:54 AM
I am so sorry I have been absent for so long. Today was the first day in 8 days that I was not throwing up. I am really hoping the medicine is out of my system now and I will not be taking it again. My new doctor finally returned my call after 4 days and she went on to say that it was probably a virus and I told her last time I was told I had a virus, I ended up in surgery. She then said that it was probably an infection in the lining of my stomach and I should either go to my family doc or just go to the hospital.I just had to laugh. It was the meds and I know that.I know my body and I know what it was. I was very sad that she took no responsibility and was not willing to help me get through this.

Tim, on the other hand, was amazing! I felt horrible that while he was home for his 6 days I was so sick but he said he would rather be with me when I am feeling so bad than to be at work and me be alone. He left today and we both are a little scared. We still are not sure what tomorrow will bring and we just cross our fingers that everything is ok. We live in Phoenix with no family and have come to rely on each other so much that it is very difficult when we are apart.

So, tomorrow we will get up. He will be 4 1/2 hours from home and I will be here in Phoenix. We will be crossing our finger that the food stays down and time passes fast so that he will be home again soon!

Thank you so much for getting me through this. It has been tough and scary but hopefully we are at the light at the end of the tunnel!

I need to stay calm and relaxed....took my blood pressure tonight and it was 150/91! Tomorrow is a new day!

02-20-2009, 01:06 AM
i missed you xxx

02-20-2009, 01:13 AM
I missed you too xoxoxoxoxo!

Angel Oliver
02-20-2009, 06:15 AM
Hi Danica,

Oh im sorry to read you have been so sick, for such a long time.But im glad you are feeling a touch better. Tim sounds amazing. I am so glad you have each other.I know you are apart now, but you have us all on here to try and keep you company and help you through the days. I hope you continue to feel better every day. You were missed.


02-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi Danica...

Glad to see you back on the boards. I worried about you and had a feeling you might be having a rough time. I'm so sorry you had to be that nauseated and sick for 8 days. That is absolutely no fun at all. I am thankful Tim was able to be with you and help you out. It's always so much worse if you're all by yourself. What a runaround you got with your doc. Just what you needed after having such a rough time!

Anyway...like Angel said, we'll be here for ya while Tim's away. We'll help you pass the time quickly...he'll be home before you know it. Since you've no family nearby, we'll be you 'substitute family' when you need us. :)

Take care, be good to yourself, and enjoy your day.


Lori :)

p.s. Did you notice the Arcade that showed up while you were absent? We've got games to play now.