View Full Version : Quitting smoking

kukukajoo
02-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Something I HAVE to do ASAP.

Any tips, victories, setbacks? Anyone!

Rastagirl
02-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi Krissy...

I'll share a few victories with you. :) My husband and I both quit smoking in our own ways.

I had a very motivational reason to quit. I quit smoking, cold turkey, the moment after I found out I was pregnant with my first child. There was no question for me it was the right thing, the only thing to do immediately. Having a very, very important reason was what got me through the process. I set my mind to it and told myself I had no choice. I'm not saying it was easy. That's for sure. I had a pretty rough time going through the first trimester of a pregnancy while going through nicotine withdrawals. There were days I wanted to pull my hair out, scream at the world, climb the walls, all at the same time. But along the way with my Lupus, I have found out that I can be a strong person by taking each thing, one day at a time. I focus on the moment, the hour, the block of time, that will get me through this one thing.

The one thing that I remember was of help to me was keeping myself, especially my hands, busy. I found small projects that would keep my hands and mind occupied. For a while, I took up needlepoint and made a bunch of baby bibs for myself and others I knew that were having babies. I also like to send encouraging cards or notes to my family and neighbors, so for a while, everytime I wanted a cigarette really bad, I would occupy my hands by writing a card to my relatives. (They all got many, many cards during that time!) The other thing that helped me was time. It definitely got easier as time went by. First, I was occupied with being a new mom and taking care of a new baby, and that kept me so busy, I had no time to stop for a minute. And the more time that went by, the less the cravings were.

Now my husband's story is quite different. He has been smoke free for one year now. Hooray!!! He quit a year ago last Christmas. He had smoked since he was 16 years old, so it was extremely hard for him. He had tried to quit once before using Nicorette gum, but wasn't successful because he hates the taste of mint gum. This time Nicorette had come out with a fruit flavor that he tolerated better. So he used the gum at the start, and allowed himself to chew the gum and taper off the cigarettes a bit. He didn't do it cold turkey. I think he started with allowing himself 3 or 4 cigarettes a day and then each week, would cut out one. He held on to that last cigarette for a couple of weeks and increased the gum. Then, when HE made the choice, he eliminated the last cigarette. He then chewed the gum for about 3 months, until he tapered down on the dose. Finally, when he wasn't needing so much nicotine, he chewed one nicorette a day and switched over to regular, sugar-free gums. From there, he spent about 2 months on regular gum, for the oral fixation he has :), and then stopped all together. He was also challenged with the 'keeping your hands occupied' thing, so he's spent a lot more time under his race car, fixing things. That's his hobby and his way to keep occupied. For me, that means, he spends a lot more time in his garage, but I'll put up with that if it means he's going to be smoke free.

In both of our cases, we each found it helpful to have a support person to encourage us. In our case, we were that person for each other. Is there anyone you can enlist to be there for you?

I'm not sure if any of this is helpful or not, but I thought in sharing with you, you might be encouraged to try. I do know the Nicorette was pretty expensive, so if that's not a reasonable option for you, you might talk to your doctor and see if there's anything prescription-wise that he might have to offer. Cigarettes are expensive too, so my husband made his choice to spend the money on the Nicorette, in order to stop spending it on cigarettes in the long run. And we know for sure, it has saved us money. Not to mention, the most important thing.....his life! :)

Sorry this turned into a chapter in a book. Just thought hearing a few different stories might encourage you to try.

Fondly,

Lori :)

kukukajoo
02-16-2009, 07:05 AM
Lori,

THANK YOU! I glad you wrote the 'book' as it contains some great information. I am going out today and getting some of the gum and the lozenges as well. One has to work for me! I didnt realize the timeframe would be so long, but I can understand that since I have been smoking so long.

Yesterday I managed to have only 5 smokes (same with day before), the only time I was bothered was when it was almost bedtime.

I know that with APS smoking is a big risk factor for clotting and also greatly decreases absorption of the Plaquenil. I figure if I want to beg my MD for that instead of coumadin I should be able to argue successfully why I can take it and can't if I am smoking.

I am dating a non smoker, so that helps. I am a bit of a hypocrite as I will not date anyone who smokess, since I am certain to be smoke free soon. Being with him is a good incentive.

Also, I do have a good friend who is a great encourager. She has never smoked so does not know the addiction, but I am sure will be a great support for me.

Thanks again for sharing Lori, It has given me hope that I CAN do this!

JennM
02-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Krissy,
I don't smoke, but I have known others who have successfully stopped with a prescribed drug called Chantex. YOu can ask your doctor to prescribe it, it is covered under insurance. Anyway, keep the faith, you can do it!!!!!!
Jenn

Rastagirl
02-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Krissy...

The timeframe for quitting doesn't have to be that long....that's just the way my husband chose to do it. He knew he'd be more successful if he didn't hurry his system through it. Some people definitely wean off quicker.

He also had those one or two cigarettes that were very hard to give up...right after he would have a meal and the last one of the day were the last ones for him to conquer.

Good to hear you have some people close by to support you in this. You can come here also...if you're wanting a cigarette, come on the forum and say...."Help, I need someone to distract me from my cigarettes..." and we'll keep you busy 'talking'.

Good luck,

Lori :)

Angel Oliver
02-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Wow...well done for getting the courage to think about giving up.Sending you all the courage in the world. Ive tried a few times....mmm....not worked yet cause im a complete addict and my brain likes it.....except me.One day i'll try but not just yet for me. I did ask about that erm think it was called champex or something.I have depression and that drug gives out weird side effects like bad thoughts and stuff, so check with your doctor first.I have had patches and this plastic thing which you put nicotine cartridges in.I know they do work as i have non smoking family members n friends now....so they do work. To be honest i didnt quit cause subconciously i didnt want too.When im ready like you i'll do it. Buy a squeesy ball so you have it in your hand when you feel like a cig.Or like someone said....just get back in here and we'll tell you a story to take your mind off it. :)

Good luck :)
love
Angel.xxx

Angel Oliver
02-22-2009, 11:16 AM
How you getting on with the smoking? Have you managed to kick the habit yet or cut down more? Let me know.

love
angel.xx

sick n tired
02-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Hey Kukukajoo,

Quitting smoking can be really hard..in fact quitting any habit can be hard but I have heard that smoking is on top as one of the hardest.
I am pulling for you....you go for it