PDA

View Full Version : I can still see the good in people!

Danica01
02-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Last year Tim and I were out exploring an area in the desert, Four Peaks.While we were there we noticed how horrible the ground looked due to the massive amount of trash that was everywhere :!: We were so upset because this is an area we loved along with so many others. Well, that night we looked at each other and decided that we had to do something about it. We didn't expect much but had to try. So, off we went with an idea of cleaning up our desert. For a month we hounded the news stations and local companies for donations. In the end we had an interview with the local morning news. We collected so many items that we were able to hold a raffle for all the people who joined us. Breakfast and lunch was donated. The Saturday of the clean up rolled around and Tim and I looked at each other and said here goes nothing :!: What a day it was :!: We had over 300 people come out to pick up trash and we hauled over 7 tons of trash out of the desert we love :D It was amazing :!:

So, this year rolled around and one night Tim and I looked at each other and it clicked.....we were going to do it again :!: Again, with the economy in the state that it is we did not expect much. Over a month we had interviews with every local news station and multiple radio stations. We collected thousands of dollars worth of items for a raffle and again we were able to feed all of our volunteers :D The day of the clean up rolled around and again......what an amazing day :!: We had over 500 people come out to pick up trash and we hauled out over 20 tons of trash this year :!: We are still in shock from the turnout!

After the event, the people at REI asked us how could two people get so
many people out to the desert for a clean up, we shrugged and Tim and I
looked at each other and both of us knew that we were also wondering the same thing! They went on to tell us that they can never seem to get more than a 100 people out to their events. Once we left we talked about how amazing it was that a multi-million dollar company who has access to
endless resources was unable to do what we were able to! It shows that
life is not about money but about people, two people who have hearts big
enough to encourage 500 hundred people to leave their home on a
beautiful Saturday morning to clean up 21 tons of trash.......it sure
does put things in perspective!

Danica

:angel:

Here is the blog for the pick up. You can see all the pictures here:

www.fourpeakspickup.blogspot.com

TobyJug
02-10-2009, 02:49 AM
Now that is ace....
I like that....

I know what u mean people do ruin nice spots....

Nice thing u did there awesome....

rob
02-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Wow,

Danica, talk about a small world. Four Peaks is one of my absolute favorite places in Arizona. I've been to the summit of each peak. There used to be a metal box on the north peak, and it had a notebook and pencil in it with comments of people who have made it to the top. If it's still there, you'll see my name, and my two friends who I used to go hiking with every weekend. The view from up there is amazing. Four Peaks is like an island of green forest plopped down in the middle of the desert.

It always angered me to see people trashing up wilderness areas. What you did to clean things up is really an inspiring story. Awesome. Good job!

Rob

Angel Oliver
02-10-2009, 04:30 AM
Wow Danica,

Thats an amazing thing you did there.Oh what a fab place that is and so sad people dump trash on it.Well done to both of you.You should be so proud of yourselves. Oh wow.....you were on the radio....im chatting to a celebrity...send me your autograph lol :) How fab so many people listened to you and so kind of them to help. You done a good thing there.Well done. :)

Love
Angel.xxx
(non celebrity :) )

Rastagirl
02-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Way to go Danica....and Tim, :D

Thanks for sharing a story with us about something 'good' that has happened. We all need it right now.

That is such a powerful testimony to the power of 2 people in their small corner of the world. Something that starts with an observation of things that are just not right....something that needs to be fixed, and evolves from there into a very positive change.

I absolutely love that you were able to motivate that many people to come and lend a hand. Shows you how 'many hands' working together for good, can really, truly make a difference in our world. I love that goodness in the hearts of two people can do much more to motivate others than the power and wealth of big corporations.

Just think of all the people that will benefit from what you guys did...All the people in the future that will enjoy the beauty of that desert and get to see it unblemished. Nature at its finest!

I am a born and raised Oregonian, and have been blessed all my life with truly incredibly, beautiful nature all around me. I never take it for granted! Not for one day. And I never fail to pick up every piece of litter I see along the way. Whether it's on the trail I am hiking, or along the road near my home. When I take my dog for a walk, you can see me with my small plastic trash bag....cleaning up the neighborhood. I have always believed that every single person can make a difference in this world every day. And sometimes it starts with a simple idea.......

Danica, when you posted your pictures last night, I saw the one at your clean up and wondered what that was all about, what kind of clean up it was. My brain was pretty tired last night, so I forgot to ask you. Thanks for explaining.

And most of all, thanks for making a difference in our world, for making something better for our planet.

Fondly,

Lori :P

mountaindreamer
02-10-2009, 05:36 PM
my hat is off to you Danica and Tim,

what a wonderful gift you gave to your beautiful land, and to us. The story is beautiful.

You all are a perfect example of "thinking outside of the box" thanks to you both.

phyllis

lucky7
02-10-2009, 05:53 PM
WOW Danica that is a great thing you guys did! You two sound like a wonderful couple and from your comments ive read and the pictures ive seen it seems like you two really enjoy life!

I just wanted to tell you that you seem like a real genuine person and so do the others on this site. Its nice to be here. I feel inspired and i have hope! Theyre are too many irrationl people doing and saying the wrong things out there and more people like you need to be heard and seen!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!

Danica01
02-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Thank you all for for all of you kind words and encouragement :) Tim received some sad news today, one of our volunteers went out to take pictures of the area he cleaned up......it was covered in trash again :mad: This really wore on Tim's mind and broke his heart. I told him there will always be individuals who will try to destroy our environment.......then there will be the people with hearts of gold who pick up after them.......I would much rather have the heart of gold and pick up after people who try to ruin everything the rest of my life.

Tim is away for work and over the phone I read him your responses and you all lifted his spirits. Both of us sniffled a few times due to the sincerity in all your post. Thank you for making the one I love smile today :angel:

mountaindreamer
02-11-2009, 06:31 AM
when I see the damage that people do to our beautiful land, I get so angry. I just hope that some day, they have something that they care about, and that someone shows total disregard just like they did. Some people never get it, but I hope that whoever is trying to undo your good deads will wake up one day and realize they were wrong, and maybe they will help clean up.

Don't know if it will happen, but we can at least wish for the "good in people" to rise up. Thank goodnes for all of the good people.

share another smile today,
phyllis

Danica01
02-12-2009, 12:05 AM
You are right.....there is always someone behind you wanting to undo what someone has just fixed. I really believe in Karma and they will understand the damage they have done someday. Until then lets all look for the good in people until someone surprises us :wink: