PDA

View Full Version : Lupus & Lyme

kukukajoo
02-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I was searching journal articles and studies and found one that referenced that 40% of lupus patients are testing false positive for lyme!

This is significant for me, as I have been dx with lyme but have docs arguing over wether it is or not. Meanwhile other issues have been discovered with labs so who knows. BUT I am doing the lyme treatment just in case as my primary doc feels it is.

Just thought I would toss this out there for each and all!

Danica01
02-09-2009, 08:59 PM
In the very beginning they tested me for Lymes disease. They asked if I had a rash and if I had any encounters with ticks. Of course I hadn't so that ruled it out for me. I have heard that people are diagnosed with Lymes disease and actually have Lupus. Lupus is one of those disease that can mask itself as something else for quite some time. Just hang in there at keep us posted on what is going on and how you are feeling :wink:

kukukajoo
02-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Only 50% of cases of lyme have the telltale rash.....

It's funny because my brother in law went thru such heck with lyme twice he has been really supportive of me.... right up until Friday when I got the dx of the APS! He thinks the docs are WRONG on that and I tried to explain that these antibodies are definitely there.....

the symptoms of lyme and lupus can be similar for sure and both are forces not the reckoned with.

All I know is I am taking the antibiotics like my MD tells me!

Danica01
02-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I think that is smart of you......better safe than sorry :wink:

sick n tired
02-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey kukukajoo,

I am foggy today but what is APS?

I have a friend who's daughter has been dx'd with lyme then autoimmune and not lyme-like...what's up with that? She is having a hard time with her school and insurance because they keep changing the dx.

Saysusie
02-12-2009, 11:21 AM
APS is Antiphospholipid Syndrome. APS is an autoimmune disorder in which the body recognizes certain normal components of blood and/or cell membranes as foreign substances and produces antibodies against them. Patients with these antibodies may experience blood clots, including heart attacks and strokes, and miscarriages. APS may occur in people with systemic lupus erythematosus, other autoimmune diseases, or in otherwise healthy individuals. APS is also known as APLS, APLA, Hughes Syndrome or "Sticky Blood."

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Danica01
02-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I have "Sticky Blood" :D It showed up in my blood for years and one day it was gone. My doc said it was hibernating and because I tested positive for it once, I will always have it, it may just lie dormant for a bit. She said that this is what may cause an initial issue when I want to start a family.

sick n tired
02-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks Saysusie,

I was having such a foggy day yesterday that I could hardly remember my name :oops:

I actually have APS...In fact when I had the CT scan last week he was initially looking to see if an embolism had gone to the pulminary area and/or if I had one in my legs.

kukukajoo
02-12-2009, 02:36 PM
I was suprised how high my levels were of the antibodies when I saw the labs today. I am trying to determine if there is a correlation with severity as I think I remember reading somewhere the higher the antibody, the more aggressive the treatment....