PDA

View Full Version : irregular heart beat

dency
04-18-2005, 03:12 PM
I get too tired, as all of us with lupus do, and my heart seems to beat oddly. It seems to flutter, skip a beat, or sometimes race. My GP quickly got me in to see a cardiologist when it first started happening. The cardiologist ran blood work, did an EKG, and a heart sonogram. I even wore a monitor for 24 hours. They came back and told me I had a very healthy heart and all looked good. I noted the times on the monitor that my heart acted like it does when something scares you, which nothing had, and the cardiologist told me my heart beat was constant at the times I noted. UGH! He offered for me to wear the monitor longer but I didn't see the point. Wearing that thing wasn't any fun.

My heart does this often when I am getting tired. That is one of the first signs for me that I need to slow down. Often if I rest for a while the sensation of odd beats will stop. However, it is scary and frustrating so was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they dealt with it or treated it.

Dency

TracyDawn
04-19-2005, 05:36 AM
O gosh Dency, I could have written that post. Except the dr part cause I haven't told them yet but the heart thing is me all the way. I told CarlyB about it last week cause it was doing it a LOT (then I have spent the last two days in bed???). I thought I was just going crazy. Very frustrating. I am sorry you didn't get any answers, nor do I have any for you. {{{HUG}}} My description of it is it feels like it is going to take flight from my chest. It doesn't hurt, it just feels like my heart is going to race away and it leaves me breathless for a bit. Sometimes I get a little dizzy with it but not all the time. It kind of feels like it slows down and then skips a few beats or something to try to catch up. UGH!!! I hope you feel better and someone else has some suggestions for you. {{HUG}}

dency
04-19-2005, 05:57 AM
Thanks for answering me. It is so nice to hear back from someone and know I'm not alone. My biggest wonder is if it's my lupus doing this to me or something else?

Thanks again...you're not alone either,

Dency

Evenstar
04-20-2005, 04:15 AM
Well hello to you two,
Just thought I'd add that I know what the two off you mean. Mine normally just comes from nowhere, and dosen't normally last long, about 5 or so pluses. To me it feels like my heart gets stuck for a second and then it's like its jumping up to my chest to move. Sometimes I feel like I can hear it making a gushing/gurgling sound when it beats hard. I also get really bad chest pains that get worse when I eat eggs (I know weired huh)
Anyhow I went to the primary doctor when i was 16 who said that it could be some sort of disease(not lupus) and said to come back if it persisted ( I never did and cannot for the life of me remember what they called the disease). I also spoke to my rhuemy last year, who smiled at me and put it down to palpitations from being stressed/worried, even though I was not stressed/worried at the time.
Sorry I could not offer much else???
Carly

dency
04-20-2005, 06:20 AM
Thanks Carly! I wish I wasn't saying thanks for telling me you have heart problems too. So far the only thing I've found to get my heart to stop acting funny is rest which is how it goes with lupus.

Frustrated today because my mouth is doing it's wierd thing again...The inside of my cheeks are swollen and feel funny. This is the third time since Christmas. My Dr has left her practice in my town and looking for a nother one near by. I hate to go see anyone else but I may have too if she doesn't find a new office soon. I have refills on the prednisone which usually calms my mouth but hate to keep using them with out talking to her and am affraid I may need more than that at this point. Blah blah blah...

Thanks again,
Dency

megara
04-25-2005, 05:38 AM
Hi Dency. I'm 37 and have had lupus for 15 years. I've just been quietly reading other people's posts but I just have a suggestion that might help.

I had heart problems like that too - well, it started with pericarditis but after that big thing was over, I would still get palpitations and my heart would beat too fast, even just resting. I remember vacuuming would get my pulse up to like aerobic levels - and I thought, how dumb is this?

My doctor put me on Lopressor and it worked really well. I think it's mainly a blood pressure medication but it slows down my heart and I don't have the palpitations much at all. Plus it'll probably help me not get high bp. The generic works just fine so it's only like $5 a month. Maybe you could ask your doctor if this is a good thing for you to try. I haven't noticed any side effects.

I've had that swollen-weird-texture-inside-of-the-cheek thing too. I avoid prednisone unless I'm gonna die. It messes up my brain. That's sad your doctor moved - it's really hard to find a comfortable doctor.

Anyway, good luck on this!
Megara

dency
04-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll ask my Dr about Lopressor. I am already on low dosages of 2 medications for high blood pressure and haven't had any trouble except for the funny heart beats.

Thanks again,

Dency

pharmacygirl34
04-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Hi everyone,
It is so amazing that there are others who have the irregular heartbeats. I was recently Dx with Lupus. However about 5 years ago a doctor told me I have a heart murmer. I have these same symptoms as most of you regarding these heartbeat symptoms. Sometimes I use to think I was going to have an MI (heart attack). My heart will skip beats at times and then sometimes I will get bradycardia and/or tachycardia. Weird, but I suppose that now I can contribute it to the symptoms of Lupus. I am going to have to talk to my rheumy about this. There were so many things that I talked to him about, but so many things I forgot too, so thank you for talking about this. It is a great reminder of my next conversations with the doc. If anyone finds out anything different about this symptom please post it as I am currious how everyone else is turning out.
Thanks,
Angela

dency
04-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Enough of you have responded back to me with irregular heart beats like mine that I am beginning to think it is a Lupus thing. Please let us know what your Dr says when you ask about this. In some ways it is a relief to think it's my Lupus and not something all new. ha ha

Dency

silverlioness
05-17-2005, 10:55 PM
I have three different things with my heart. The "skipping beat," the "racing," and the "lump/short of breath" thing.

The cardiologist said my "skipping beat" was actually an early beat caused by Mitral Value Prolapse which I've read is common with lupus patients. This also some times has a different lump feeling associated with it. I had all the same tests as Dency including two 24 hr. Holter Monitors. The only place the Mitral Value Prolapse showed up was on the Echocardiogram. But, surprise, surprise, the cardiologist didn't feel any treatment was necessary. After persistence, my primary care doctor gave me Propranolol which also would help with the "racing."

The "lump/short of breath" thing scares me and happens a lot when I'm eating. My mom is a Nurse Practitioner and told me that it's Atrial Fibrillation and it's mostly benign. But, it can cause blood to pool resulting in a blood clot. I'm thinking- one day it's going to take away my breath long enough that it kills me :)

The Propranolol works for blood pressure, too. Ask your doctor about it. The only bad thing is that it interacts with a lot of other medicines.

rvelasco
05-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Hello to everyone! I'm happy that there is someone to talk to and to listen to me. I get lots of support from my family and friends. But they just don't understand what is really going on. Chest pain and the racing with irregular heart beats was my very first symptoms 16 yrs ago. I have never had high blood pressure or high cholesterol even now. When I was 25, my heart was always racing and I was losing a lot of weight. I thought it was my coffee, cola & snicker bar diet. I liked the weight lost but my dr thought I had a Thyroid problem. So I had to get tested for that. That was one of many tests. I am 35 now. My onset was a heart attack in one of the four abnormal thinning arteries they found five yrs. ago. Lupus is known to thin out arteries which I just found out recently. My cardio dr didn't know that. I take Lopressor for my heart. The meds help control my heart from overworking. I'm on Prednisone, Plaquenil & Methotrexate for other Lupus traits. All is going well so far. I still get palpitations, sometimes in the middle of night due to a bad dream. When I'm stressed or worried about something. I do know for a fact that missing your meds will put your heart beat into overdrive especially if you are a caffeine addict. I was told to crave my caffeine addiction. So I'm down to just the cup of coffee in the morning. So far, so good. I wish you all well. So Keep reading and writing and I will to. Ruvi