PDA

View Full Version : difficulty swallowing & and another odd symptom

Cupcakelove
02-06-2009, 01:48 AM
I have always had issues drinking w/o choking and even swallowing food, early on I thought I just didn't know how to drink like a normal human, but then I realized there has to be a reason why.

Like especially when I get tired, I could stick a piece of food in my mouth, go to swallow and its like my body has forgotten how to do whats suppose to be natural...its really weird.

Also this one bugs me alot, sometimes when I eat something I will get a terrible sharpness in my side of my cheek, my mom says its my salvary gland...

weeeird symptoms.

anyone else experience this??

cheryl_v
02-06-2009, 06:32 AM
I've been having issues with swallowing as well. At first I thought I took to big a bite or to big a gulp. So started making sure smaller bites and sips. Nope, still happens. I was thinking of bringing up to doc next week. Have no idea why. Kids looked at me like I was nuts the other day. I took a swallow of water and ended up running to the sink and spitting it out. Just couldn't swallow, no matter how hard I tried. Actually made my chest hurt from trying to hard. I would love to know why.

I get pains in my cheek now and then. Mines from TMJ though. Do you have issues with jaw pain, cracking? Do you clench your teeth at night? It can cause pain in jaw and cheeks too.

Angel Oliver
02-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Hi,

I too have times where i find it hard to swallow food n drink. I thought it was just me, so glad im not alone. Yes i am having major problems at the mo with my jaw....had lock jaw 3 times over christmas and missed christmas totally as i was in hospital. Wednesday i was put to sleep whilst they worked on 2 teeth so have been in terrible pain since with my mouth. I just actually sucked and eaten a fish n chip butty slowly.....ah was sooooooo nice. :)

Angel.xxx

cheryl_v
02-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Poor thing, hope your pain eases soon.

Funny how your mind makes you think and second guess yourself. I assumed it was just me too. It does make me feel better seeing other's comments. Just seeing others say its them as well is in a wierd way comforting. Although you don't want to see others in pain, its nice to know others understand completely.

Angel Oliver
02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Yes exactly. As i write this...i dont whether its cause of my tooth, gum n jaw pain, but boy im finding it hard to swallow and my throat feels like i swallowed some razor blades. I have a lump popping out of my neck and i feel rubbish. I know i should wish this but......roll on dentures lol :) Then all my pain will go from my mouth. :)

Love
Angel.xx

cheryl_v
02-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Not really. My sister tried that. Said mouth hurt for quite a while after words. Then sometimes the dentures cause pain and discomfort. She says its quite annoying, trading one type of pain for another. I have a bridge, and it still causes issues and pain at times. Feels like a no win situation :roll: .

You should see doc about the lump. Just to make sure no infections.

lucky7
02-06-2009, 04:48 PM
I thought it was just me!

I have trouble swallowing and its sore too.

My jaw also gets locked up easily,it scared the heck out of me! The dr told me to open my mouth and it almost stuck that way. He actually got annoyed with me! He almost acted like i was lying! I was so mad and sadened thinking here we go again,another jerk!

Cupcakelove
02-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Mine isn't from my jaw...

what happens is I'll swallow and the food gets stuck, in my upper throat.

And when I'm drinking, sometimes I choke, and I can barely catch my breath. I even do it with my own saliva. Sorry if that was TMI.

I just don't get it...

I wonder if I should bring it up with my current Rheumatologist or should I just refrain because she never listens to me anyway.

She just diagnoses me with diseases and FAILS to tell me.

Angel Oliver
02-07-2009, 04:18 AM
Hi,

Yes....i think i'll try and keep away from the denture route then...i just thought that might be easier....but sounds like no. This is the first time i lost a tooth by being pulled out. The 2 he worked on.....oh my...still sore sore and my jaw is a no no.I can suck food but not chew or if i chew its on the gum lol ...ouch. I may have to have them out and maybe not have the bridge if you say that also causes pain. I had enough mouth pain to last me a life time.

The swallowing thing too. Yes mines like yours. Its like ive not enough saliva to swallow it down and it gets stuck at the back and just stays there whilst your doing back flips (in ur dreams lol) or trying to get someones attention as you feel ur going blue n seeing angels lol :) Not funny i know cause i had it last night. But i have a lump which i think is my gland and my throat feels like i swallowed a razor.

I hope we all get over this one day cause its scary. I have to say actually that i read up on M.E what they say i now have and this is one of the symptoms.Whupeeeeeee....NOT :(

Love
Angel.xx

cheryl_v
02-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Hey cupcakelove, bring that up to your doc. That's not good to get stuck. My throat just locks up, not food getting stuck. That's a bit concerning. Check it out please. Even if doc doesn't take it seriously, try anyways.

Hi Angel. Don't get me wrong, the bridge has its good points too. The teeth are stronger, can eat more things. I don't have to take them out like sis. They do require special cleaning, but thats easy. I just expected little pain and discomfort, then all good. I just wanted to fair worn you of the pain it does cause and how long it last. Mine was the front teeth, so that could be why as well. I had a tooth pulled too, so do understand there. I have TMJ, so had problems with severe jaw pain afterwards. They were nice though. Told them of the TMJ, so they said for me to raise my hand if needed to rest the jaw. They also wouldn't use the mouth gaurd, said it would be bad for my jaws then. Sweet people, I got so lucky. My dentist is so cute too, so nice bonus for my pain :lol: .

Angel Oliver
02-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Ah thanks for the advice Cheryl. I dont really understand bridges that well, as i always had all my own teeth.But its a huge chewing molar they yanked out.Dont get me wrong, i am sooooooooo gratful, but i know in my heart the other molar on the other side and a small tooth next to it will go soon.I know cause when my mouth shuts, my jaws in the wrong place so im banging them.They now feel so bruised. So the bridge will be to hide the gaps and give me somewhere for the food to sit as i chew. I know theyre gonna be stuck in.....but i dont understand how. Do you think its worth me having them or should i just do without and suck my food like the old folk do ? :)

Angel.xx

cheryl_v
02-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi Angel. My mum-in-law has that bridge, just had it redone actually. After 20yrs though, thats a good thing to last that long. Now they are stronger and last even longer. She said it was painful and quite sore for a while, but so worth it. Says she loves it, no more pain from eating or drinking. Says the new fits and looks better than the old. Says the back ones are easier for them to do, and less expensive than the fronts like mine. For a back molar, I would go thru the pain of a bridge over dentures any day. Hope this helps :D .

Cupcakelove, how's the throat? Doing better? Pain in face anymore?

Angel Oliver
02-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Oh wow thanks for letting me know i really appreciate it. :)

Love
Angel.xxx

P.S Yes Cupcake let us know how you are doing. Sorry for hijacking your post.xxxxx

cheryl_v
02-08-2009, 06:34 PM
No problem :D .