PDA

View Full Version : Are our British friends doing OK in the SNOW?

hatlady
02-02-2009, 12:04 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7865477.stm

is a link to a snow map of Great Britain. Are any of you in the middle of the snowfall? You aren't used to it over there - how are you doing in all this?

We've had a ton of snow in the midwest USA this year, and recently a dangerous ice/snow storm through the middle of the country. Lots of areas will be without power for days or weeks. My warm thoughts go out to all those living with the heat from a fireplace or stove....

What a winter it has been - and Puxatawney Phil (a groundhog) saw his shadow this morning. 6 more weeks of winter! Of course, we'd have about 6 weeks of winter if he DIDN'T see it... :roll: never did understand all the fuss. :wink:

iseedeadmonkeys
02-02-2009, 02:17 PM
hello no we are not used to it, i havnt seen snow this thick for 18 years!! was brill tho :D :D

i mesured 6 1/2 inches this morning, then it snowed another 3 inches during the day, and we have been told it will freeze over night and we will get another 8-13 inches tmrw i dont mind im not going anywhere which is sweet, just making the most of it and takin plenty of pics too, i slipped on a curb twice on the same spot cos i wasnt sure where it ended and began lol its been really good fun, and ive just been enjoying it and forgetting bout the lupus for now :D

we are funny in this country and not very prepaired for snow fall like this, when i went down the village to get pancakes mmmm :) you would of laughed at the amount of repaire plumbing and drain and heating vans out on the road!!!

excellent, it should stay with us til thursday :D

thanx for doing this thread its nice to be included :D

ISDM
xx

SuperGiv
02-02-2009, 02:33 PM
We had a bit up here in Manchester. Nothing too bad but I did skive off my lecture because there was a flurry.
Definitely agree we're not prepared for it. You would think there's been some sort of natural disaster. Snow doesn't agree with our transport system, or any system.
It does tend to bring out a nice spirit though, like people seem to like each other more cause there all suffering the snow, like one christmas day, we had a powercut, and within 10 minutes a neighbour went down the road with tea etc, never spoke to her in my life!!!

iseedeadmonkeys
02-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Its really odd isnt it!!

on xmas day i walked down the village not one hello did i get!
today everyone i saw said hello??

lol

Angel Oliver
02-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Oh how nice a thread for us yipeeeeeee.

Well im too in Manchester and its fab. I got my boots on yesterday and did snow angels in the snow and threw snowballs at my dog who didnt understand where they dissapear too. My cat will not get his paws wet so i had to move the snow, put him down to wee, then pick him up and put him in the house lol :) I did try to make a snowman but i was too tired lol :)
Oh i love the snow. :) The country has come to a stand still...so funny....a few inches of snow and nobody can cope.....except for me who loves it.
It has started to melt today, but im hoping for more tonight....just for me :)

Love
Angel.xxx

Rastagirl
02-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Hello to our Friends across the pond.....

I felt your 'Happy Snow Day' all the way over here in Oregon. :D Thanks for sharing your snow antics....nice to hear something fun and uplifting.

I can picture your snow angels and feel the soft, gentle quiet that comes after the snowfall. I love that part....when all of outdoors becomes soft and quiet. It's so relaxing......

Angel Oliver....you're so sweet to your kitty. Clearing the way so the paws don't freeze. :lol: Playing in the snow with dogs can be so much fun. My golden retriever jumps in the air and tries to catch the snowballs in his mouth. I love the look on his face when he gets one straight into his mouth. :o

Have fun and enjoy your snow days...........

Fondly,

Lori 8)

p.s. I've got my shades on cuz the sun is shining and it's 54 degress in Portland today. Feels like a heatwave............

iseedeadmonkeys
02-03-2009, 10:33 AM
lol :)

Tav the chav (my cat)
really loved it this morning she was bundling around rollin in it and trying to stay up on the wall lol i love watching her she is still a kitten and i find her most amusing :D

Its lovely the quietness of snow isnt it?

ISDM
xx

SuperGiv
02-04-2009, 05:19 AM
My cats scared to death of the snow. He sort of puts his paw in it, and to walk sort of trots over it not wanting his paw in too long. But he's odd. My dog loves it, she gets excited and runs round in circles for some reason haha.
Snows all gone now though. In fact its sunny up here, which for manchesters more shocking than snow!!!

NoodleMom
02-04-2009, 07:41 AM
I can hear the excitement of you guys enjoying the snow. Kinda like a little kid and their first snowfall. I can picture you in the snow in my mind. It is soo fun. Have you tried to catch a snowflake on your tongue? I am in the Midwest USA. I dont like snow....more because it is soo cold and snow only comes when it is cold here. I do however like to watch the snow fall, its so peaceful and calm. I like the way newfallen snow looks and how it covers all the dirty snow. A very important piece of advice from a veteran snow dweller: DONT EAT YELLOW SNOW!!

Animals are so fun to watch in the snow. My puppy Ellie, this is her first snow. She will stick her nose in it and then throw her head back like she is trying to throw a snowball. It is too funny. She is all black so the contrast of the snow on her snout is very stark. When it is really cold she will stand out there and lift first one paw of the ground and then the other back and forth she goes like that gecko in that comercial remember. Its then that I have to go out into the middle of the yard to rescue her. Poor puppy. You'd think from one outing to the next she woul remember that the snow is cold...

Kasey

iseedeadmonkeys
02-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Lol noodlemom,

It is excactly how it is, its like our very first snow storm, we dont see it very often the last one i remember being that bad was 18 years ago when i was 12, i was being a show off and skidded on my feet in school and slipped and fell on my arm lol i still remember sledging on this really big hill in my old village called steep jack with my arm plastered up, hey that wouls of been the year my lupus flared for the 2nd time (bt i would not of known about it til 14 years later :!: ) with the first time when i was 8, anyway back to the subject lol, we had such great times, and even tho on monday i had a bit of a hangover and had taken my mtx i was like a kid lol making snowmen :D

Angel Oliver
02-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I forgot to mention. As i went out to an appointment to see my nurse, i put my bright pink stripey boots on, my scarf, my fleece mega warm gloves, my bridgette jones knickers (who cares they keep me warm) oh and my clothes and coat of course and you know what i really enjoyed.......it was still snowing and windy like when i was little and we used to have
blizzards....what i liked was the crunch when i took a step in the snow.I had forgotten how good it sounded.The sky was a pinky colour and you know what.....for a few minutes i forgot all my problems and enjoyed the crunch noise.....oh i want to be a kid again lol :)

Today the snow is nearly gone, but i think they said more is on it's way tonight.....i hope so :)

Love
Angel.xx

iseedeadmonkeys
02-04-2009, 11:01 AM
I really love that crunching noise too :D

its funny when you got summin like lupus, you see the world differently like that of when you was a kid again its lush :D

x

hatlady
02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
How fun to hear how you're all coping so wonderfully!

I did a snow angel earlier this year - I've promised myself that as long as I CAN get down and do one, I WILL get down and do one every winter!

Hugs to all - and I hope it thaws soon...

DrinkofWtr
02-06-2009, 08:56 AM
I lived in the snow when I was a kid. I remember the crunch sound and the feel of it, just like it was yesterday. When you get Lupus, or any serious illness, you really do look at things differently. I find I appreciate the little niceitsies more.

Angel Oliver
02-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Oh.....oh.....so exciting...heavy snow right now.....boots are ready to go lol :)

Excited Angel :) :)

Angel Oliver
02-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Erm.....maybe i spoke too soon....it's slowing down now lol :)

iseedeadmonkeys
02-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Yu kno what!!???

We got more snow on its way like the down pour we had on monday last week, on tuesday this week lol i dont think we will be getting away from this weather anytime soon!!

Angel Oliver
02-08-2009, 08:38 AM
I know and i really loved the snow when it was so heavy. It makes me feel so alive when everywhere is white and crispy and it takes allot for me to feel like that on any normal day. It reminds me of when i was a kid....playing out...no worries...ahhhhh. So now when i see a flake...my boots are out....just in case i can stand in the garden and watch my cat...tip toe cause he hates wet paws and my dog.....who just carnt understand where the snow balls go to.So funny.My mams cat doesnt bother...she goes out in it, just in case a bird appears lol :)
Hope you are having an ok day today.

Love
Angel.xxx

iseedeadmonkeys
02-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Its snowing again!!

this time and now its really heavy and settling :D
i think its gonna be snowing up until midnight tonight!

happy days are round the corner.............i wonder how we cope this time round lololol

peace
xx

Angel Oliver
02-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh its not fair.I just had a few flakes.There's still time.....send it my way :)