PDA

View Full Version : i am back after hospital

mountaindreamer
02-02-2009, 11:41 AM
hi everyone,

I have been off line for about a week now. Last tuesday, I was put into the hospital with a heart rate of 160, breathing issues, chest pains, clamy skin, headache, and mentally out of it.

They got my rate down, held me for tests the next day, and the same thing happened that morning. They ran tests, admitted me to hospital, and came back saying "must be lupus". The cardiologist put me on a med to regulate heart rate - called rythmal. I have had two spells since getting out of hsspital, but can get back into rhythm with med.

Anyway, my concern is that my daughter found the elevated heart rate side effect of Plaquenil. We called rheymy, and she took me off until i see her this week. I am concerned that hospital did not check for this while i was in. Thias means, they started me on new med without even exploring any problems with old med. Why do we eed to tell them what meds we are on if they are not going to check?

anyway, i have missed each of you and look forward to catching up.

share a smile today,
phyllis

sits_inthe_corner
02-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Gentle hugs to ya mountaindreamer

Sounds like you've had a heck of a ride.

That's the point...they are supposed to check, but they don't. They ask us for this information and they stick it in a file and forget about it.

That all must have been very scarey for you, I'm glad you got to the hospital.

Glad you're back home and I'll put your name on my prayer list for continued improvement.

Let us know what your rheumy says about the plaquenil.

sick n tired
02-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Hey Phillis,

Great to hear that you are out of the hospital...I hope that they are able to control your heart so you can stay out of there.

Plaquenil is not the only drug that the rheumy can give you...so perhaps the rheumy will be able to find the right combination for you.

sits_inthe_corner
02-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Hugs sick n tired,

How the heck are ya?

Spanglishqueen
02-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Gald to hear you are doing better. Hope the days ahead are better :)

iseedeadmonkeys
02-03-2009, 07:55 PM
So nice to see you back :)

i did wonder where you was!

xx

mountaindreamer
02-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your kind thoughts. It is such a consolation to know that each of you are here when I do get home.

I went to my rheumy and PCP yesterday. They both agree that the heart thing was not lupus nor a side effect of Plauenil. The tests showed no fluid or inflammation around heart, and these spells started last summer, and have just continued to increase in intensity.

I am taking Rythmol 2 times a day. The cardiologist does not know how long the med will work, but for now it seems to be doing ok.

again, thanks to all, and it is sooooo good to be back,

phylklius

Saysusie
02-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Mountaindreamer

I am glad that the heart issues are not due to your Plaquenil or to your Lupus. I do hope that they find out exactly what is causing the problem. I am sending you warm hugs and hope that your rhythm gets back to normal very soon.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

lucky7
02-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Hi Phyllis! Im pretty new here but just wanted to saysorry about your hospital stay :(

Glad youre out now though! it is nice to have this support here,i can have a flare and jump online to the forum and leave with a smile!

I just wanted to say that i get pretty worried about my heart rate alot. My heart can skip beats and i too can get a pretty high resting heart rate which really freaks me out!

My dr says i have too much anxiety so i just need to relax and nothings wrong!

Heck yeah i have anxiety! Feeling the way i do and shes always telling me too do yoga and quit worrying so much! The words "young and healthy" out of her mouth time and again. UGH

mountaindreamer
02-09-2009, 01:11 PM
hi everyone, and thanks for all of the support.

when I got home from the hospital, my computer had crashed, and I had to send it off for repair. I am finally back on-line and have missed this group. I can't believe all of the new people...love to you all.

Luck7, don't buy that story. I remember my heart rate issues started in about 1997. After several ER visits, tests, etc. they just kept saying anxiety. Well, this one happened while I was at my dr. and she witnessed that this was not stress.

My diagnosis is Atrial Fibrilation, and will not cause a heart attack. I have 48 hours to get the rate back down, or there is a risk of blook clots. I have had a couple of episodes, but have been able to get the rate back down with the med. Rythmol. Seems to be working for now, but don't know how long.

I guess what I am fumbling around to say to you Lucky7, is that whereas this is very worrisome, I am less intimidated by these episodes, because I know that I have some time, I do not have to respond immediately.

Thanks everyone
phyllis

Angel Oliver
02-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Oh Phyllis,

So glad to hear you are out of hospital and a little better. I did wonder where you had gone, thought maybe you'd won that lottery lol :) You take it easy and sending you gentle hugs too :)

Love
Angel.xxxx

mountaindreamer
02-09-2009, 02:33 PM
thanks angel,

it is so good to back with everyone here,
phyllis

Rastagirl
02-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Glad you're back with us, Phyllis. Hospitals are not a fun place to be...the best part is when you come home. That first night in your own bed, with your own jammies and all the comforts of home. :D

After being in the hospital enough times, I finally figured out to have my husband bring some of my comforts from home....my fluffy robe and slippers, pictures of my family, etc. And if my docs would allow it, he would bring me milkshakes from Baskin and Robbins, and sometimes a pizza or Chinese takeout and we'd eat out of the cartons.

I'm glad they sorted things out for you.....and happy you're back among friends. :lol:

Take is easy on yourself...........

Fondly,

Lori :P

sits_inthe_corner
02-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Gentle hugs phyllis

That must be a big relief. I started having chest pains a year ago on my way to work.

I high tailed it to my doctor's office. BP was normal, pulse was fine, my colouring was good, but the pain was horrific.

She pressed on my rib cage and I nearly shot accross the room. That's how I found out I have arthritis in my rib cage.

Not that I'm thrilled about the arthritis but at least when I have that pain, I know what it is.

Hope your medication does the trick.

kukukajoo
02-09-2009, 06:59 PM
This is more common than you this sadly and a huge reason why we all need to be versed on our diagnoses, medicines and all that.

There are many places online to search for med reactions and interactions. I think we all should know possible things to look out for and be on the lookout for.

I recently had such a bad reaction to Topamax I thought I was turning into a bobblehead and was even having severe hypoglycemic reactions. I called my doc, who is going by a little pocket PDR that covers most common symptoms and it was not listed in his little book, but lo and behold I found online where this was listed as one of the biggies and what to watch for. I called him back with the information and was then weaned off the meds afterwards. Had I not looked it up, I may still be on something that was making me even sicker and just thinking it was the progression of symptoms.

The way I see it is you are #1 to you and no doc is going to give you 100% (well most) and we have to be proactive. It is kind of akin to putting your child in daycare, it's allright and helpful but nothing is as good as love of being home with momma..

So please, please educate yourself.

Danica01
02-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Phyllis,

I am so sorry you have been going through such a rough time right now :( I am happy that you are home and that you are able to control your heart rate with medication. It is very scary to think that the doctors at the hospital put you on the medicine with out looking to see if any of your medicine may be causing this. Like you said,why bother asking if in the end it really does not matter :? I am so happy you called your doctor and asked about the combination of medicine and the side effects from your original medications. Your daughter is a life saver :wink: I wish there was more I could do :( For now I am keeping you close in my thoughts and sending you gentle hugs and healing thoughts. Sleep well and let us know what your normal doctor says :sleeping:

Love,
Danica