PDA

View Full Version : reactive hypoglycemia

karenboss
02-01-2009, 03:25 PM
hello -
I'm still trying to get the right diagnosis and will know more next week, meanwhile I'm driving myself nuts reading everything there is on the possiblities. I have a positive ana with RF negitive, my sister has RA, Dad had type 1 diabetes.

so besides joint swelling and pain I have to pee all the time but not volumonunsly, when tested for diabetes they discovered reactive hypoglycemia, and then the only other thing I can think of is a brown funky patch that used to come on my forehead when I would spend time in the sun - that was for about five years and a dermatologists said stay out of the sun (yeah, dr, it hurts when i do this, "don't do that") anyway that was at least 10 years ago. Ok, I'm super tired all the time and sleep 10+ hours a day.

Dr hasn't rulled out RA even though RF is neg.

my question is - do any of you have hypoglycemia? How is that connected to all this? Or am I headed for diabetes and lupus?

thanks for reading and thanks for your response -

Oluwa
02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi Karen...

Years ago I was diagnosed with hypoglycemic. I don't recall much medical intervention nor any medical advice other than eat many small meals throughout the day. My father, grandmother (passed) and sister are type II diabetics. Brother, borderline, dosing with oral diabetic pills.

I believe mine was a result of having an eating disorder. Long term starvation and/or bulimia and not Lupus, nor a result of having relatives with diabetes.

Since I no longer participate in the acts of an eating disorder, my glucose levels remain normal...times low but not where it was. I am usually between 70 and 80.

The most common cause of diabetes in us, with Lupus is from steroid therapy. The risk of developing diabetes depends on..the length of time used and dosage size of the steroids....

Alcohol in excessive used can cause hypoglycemic...Kidneys not functionally properly too can cause a change..

I would ask they perform a glucose tolerance test. Basically the test is drinking a liquid containing a certain amount of glucose. Your blood will be taken before you do this, and again every 30 to 60 minutes after you drink the solution. The test takes up to 3 hours.

Hope this helps..
Keep well..hugs.
Love,
Oluwa

karenboss
02-03-2009, 11:40 AM
thanks, Oluwa!
I guess they are not related.
They did the glucose tolerance on me, that's how I was dx with hypoglycemia.
It is interesting what you said about kidney issues because I do have to go all the time - (I don't drink though because I have zero tolerance for it) Hopefully I will get a dx soon on lupus. She ran the ANA subsets to rule out other AI disorders. The ANA was positive and I am anxious, worried, puffy, grumpy

My dad was hypo then he turned diabetic, then dx with LADA - wich is an autoamunne version of diabetes.