PDA

View Full Version : Breaking down and desperately need advice

heath2982
02-01-2009, 02:57 PM
So heres my situation that i need advice on:

Ive had lupus nephritis for almost 2 years now. Ive already had one flare up and my doctor is worried that if another comes the kidney function i have left may be in jeopardy. I have currently been working as a front desk person at a dental office for the past 6 months and i recently began dental assisting(which is alot of running around and a physical job) I was a dental assistant before lupus and was fine and decided to try it again. Anyways, this past week has been hell...running around is making my body shut down, im getting so tired and my body is aching so bad..everyday at work is a struggle for me and im at my wits end crying everyday because i need a fulltime job and the economy is so bad but im afraid my job will cause me to have another flare up. The problem is that my job is like a cattle farm...too many patients and not enough time. Ive looked at other jobs, but im so lost and i need advice what to do to adapt to whats going on with me....So...does anyone have any advice for me???

Thank you so much for listening
Heather

Danica01
02-02-2009, 03:03 AM
Hi there! One thing you can look into is Social Security/Disability. I would go in and talk to your doctor about this and see what they think. If you decide to go this route start as soon as possible. There is a lot of paper work and it is a very time consuming process. I just started it and the waiting is the worst! Hang in there and keep talking to us and hopefully we all can help you figure this one out :wink:

narrowboatnutter
02-08-2009, 04:29 AM
hiya... i agree - i would look into the benefits side of things just in case, but first of all i would talk to your boss and let him/her know how u r feeling at the mo...as we look well with autoimmune things im guessing they have no idea how this is effecting u, and maybe if u explained that its too much, they can adjust ur role abit or maybe u could do the desk job and the assitants job, but half and half maybe....i think thats its defo worth talking to them 1st before u look for another job or the like, as they may be able to come up with a solution that can work for both of ur, and if not, well then at least u will know u tried all possiablties before getting a new job or going onto benefits ( if things get that bad of course )

hope it all works out for u, love n,b,n xxx

Angel Oliver
02-08-2009, 06:41 AM
Oh i think most of us understand that dilema. Sending you gentle hugs my friend. I went through the same thing.It got to the point where the insomnia was so bad i was actually going to work some days on no sleep. Work tried to be sympathetic, but it got to the point where i was getting so much work and i was dragging my body around like a lead blanket and i was crying when the customers came in and just said ''goodmorning''. lol not the receptionist you want at a desk Smile

I decided enough was enough and had to go on the sick. I must say though i fought it and worked through from 2004 to Dec 2007. I decided it felt like my dignity was going and i couldnt cope with the basics of life. I feel i have gone downhill since...so a good move on my part.

Now im not suggesting you do the same as i did, as everyone is different and ive recently been told i dont have Lupus, i have M.E/asthma/Raynauds/Insomnia/IBS/AReflux.

So my advice would be...maybe ask your employer if you can also do a short week or even start work later and explain about your illness. They maybe very supportive to you as mine was in the beginning. Just take your time at work and try not to do things as you used to do.....take it slow. It sounds like you are doing the right things so far.

Hope this helps a little.
Love
Angel.xxx

P.S I have just copied this as someone else here has a similar problem and my fingers are sore so i apologise for this copy. I so hope one of us here gives you the answers and courage you need. We all understand you. Oh and i understand dentists lol.....i am having major tmj and tooth problems lol :) But lets help you.......we so care and send you much love.
Keep posting here.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Spanglishqueen
02-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Every suggestion posted in this thread are great suggestions. A couple other things to consider ..like Narrow said talk to your boss they have to follow ADA guidelines and give you reasonable accommodations for your disability so that may be a start while you wait. If the job is still too much try to see if you can't find a phone job like telemarketer...etc... maybe even look into online jobs to see if that helps. Hope you feel better soon.

mountaindreamer
02-09-2009, 03:18 PM
hi leaf,

you did a great job of bouncing back. Congrats on a lot of hard work. I hope your husband can find a dr. that is wonderful to you.

and yes, sometimes we have to admit that we must see a dr.

share a smile today,
phyllis