PDA

View Full Version : sores on scalp

cheryl_v
02-01-2009, 02:08 PM
What would cause small scalp sores and how do you make them go away? Is it yet another symptom of fibro to get used too? They are very small, but everywhere. About 15-20 slightly raised, very pink, dry and flakey. I also seem to have very dry scalp and dandruff, yet small white specks instead of flakes. What is going on here. Its been like that for 2 weeks now. My hair has also been thinning quite alot. I have to brush the back area carefully to cover it up. It seems to mainly be the top back area. I've had bad thining before, but this is even more than usual. Could the sores be the reason, even though small. Scalp is so sensitive and sore. What is going on? My hair actually hurts.

sits_inthe_corner
02-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Gentle hugs to ya cheryl

Sores on the scalp is quite common to lupus....and the joy continues.

Still worth having your doctor look and suggest a cream for treatment.

I currently have a nose that is full of sores on the inside. Fun fun fun.

They hurt and make me sneeze...which hurts...and makes me sneeze. :scatter:

cheryl_v
02-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Owie, what an issue to deal with. Poor SITC, gentle hugs back. That sounds miserable. I have an app with doc on 13th. I'll mention the sores and see what they say.

sits_inthe_corner
02-01-2009, 02:28 PM
13th is a loooong time to wait with a sore scalp. Pop by the drug store and talk to the pharmasist, perhaps there's a non perscription cream you could use.

cheryl_v
02-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Ok, I'll do that. Question, may sound dumb. How do you apply cream to your scalp with hair? My hair's thin, but hangs to my shoulder blades. Any tips on how to apply easily? How fast does it work? I also noticed, when I looked a moment ago, that my scalps so dry that it flaked all powdery looking when I touched my finger to the scalp. Will it help that as well?

cheryl_v
02-01-2009, 07:41 PM
OK, took a shower earlier and washed my hair. Decided to use hubby's dandruff shampoo. Well apparently I have raw spots, and the shampoo made them sting. Looked where I felt them, all over the top and down the back. There are lots of small pink patches, they are flat and not raised as the others. Checked again a couple ours later to see if gone now that hairs dry, nope. The shampoo was suppose to relieve the dry scalp, not irritate. Maybe scalp was so dry and flakey that I just didn't see or feel them. I do have hair in the patches and sores which is a good sign, right :? ?

What is this? Is it normal with fibro or is it something else? I've had a few sores before, but weather was always hot, so thought do to sweat. Never had so many at once, and never during cool weather. The pink patches, wow so many. About 40 little patches. Which is better for the scalp, cool or warm or hot water for relief?

So looking for some relief. Wish I didn't use that shampoo.

Danica01
02-02-2009, 02:51 AM
I hate those little buggers and boy do they hurt :!: The only thing I do when I have a flare of them is not wash my hair as often as I normally do. I will go a day or two and then gently wash it. I also put cream on them. I will use cortizone cream or even neosporin. It is yucky but it helps.......good luck and I hope you get some relief sooner than later :wink:

TobyJug
02-02-2009, 03:20 AM
hey I have a head like that most of the time...
a gentle-ish dandruff shampoo like Palmolive will make it more bearable....

well for me it does..... the more aggressive shampoo's just make it more sore....

Try adding a few drops of Tee tree oil? in the shampoo..... this used to help for me but not anymore.....

good luck with that ....

cheryl_v
02-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks, I'll try that. The spots were dull and less irritable this morning. I only washed my hair twice this week because of sores, so thought more often may hep. Glad you told me you do it less too.

How do you get the cream on the scalp without so much in your hair? The whole top of my head needs cream. Do you just rub thru the hair? Or move hair in sections and apply? Where's a good place to get tee oil (or is it tree oil?).

sits_inthe_corner
02-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Most creams, you just use a little dab.

You can use a comb to split the hair and dab the cream on with a Qtip.

The more sores you are trying to deal with....the creamier your hair will be. Do you have a really cool hat? Sounds like a bad hair week coming your way.

Did you speak to the pharmasist?

cheryl_v
02-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey SITC. Forgot to ask pharmacist. Lil miss was acting up, so I forgot a lot of things. Going back tomorrow, since I didn't get a few things I ment too due to her fit. I'll try to remember.

Hubby said the new bottle of dandruff shampoo had been sitting under the cabinet for a while. Still good, but it seperated. Said it may have been the med part I used, so too strong. He shook it up, so may give another try. The q-tip sounds easy, although I'm going to have some creamy hair :lol: . There's a lot. Tried fingers, I think I wasted most of it. I do love hats and have quite a few. Really big and wide head bands. Yes, it sounds like a bad hair week. Thank goodness I like to wear those hats and head bands, if not I'd learn fast :lol: . If its not one symptom, its another................and another, and another :roll: .

cheryl_v
02-04-2009, 06:15 AM
OK, really dumb question. Is it ok to dye my hair? The sores and pink patches are down small. My hair has been graying since I turned 21, so always dyed it every 2 months or so. Now at 35, there's lot to cover. I don't like dealing with the gray at an early age, but don't want pain either. Would it hurt? I'll wait if needed, its not that important. Just want to be safe.

sits_inthe_corner
02-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Hey cheryl

Go for a consult with your hair dresser. I'm pretty sure they will tell you it will HURT.

They do not usually agree to do a colour treatment if you have any sores. So you may have to wait.

I started going seriously grey when I was 23yrs old. I fought tooth and nail against it.

Finally when I was 38 yrs old I just said to hech with it and let it go grey. In order to colour my hair they would have to dye everything a dark colour and then dye it the colour I really wanted.

My hair is translucent white...blinding white. It got to the point where back dying it didn't work. No colour looked right on me ... it all looked neon.

So now I play my grey up. If I have white hair then it's going to be gorgous white hair.

:( cept for the thin area's, it's filled back in a little but nothing like it was.

Gawd I'm vein :lol:

cheryl_v
02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
No your not vain SITC. We as women are just used to our hair is just as much part of us as any of our body parts: needed and we do the best to care for it :D . My gray hairs are snow white, not really gray. It stands out dramatically against my brown/black hair. Doesn't hold color long, if it does at times.

Oh well, may be time to just give it up. Been coloring the gray so long since it started early, just got used to doing it. Maybe pick a white/gray shade and dye one last time :lol: . My luck, dark roots would come back :roll: .

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll skip it for now. Not worth the pain it sounds like it will most likely cause.

KathyW1958
02-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Hi Cheryl,
I am wondering if you have been tested for Discoidal Lupus? That sure sounds like that is what it could be. I would see the doctor before putting any hair dye on your hair. I am just wondering is all. It does not sound like the Fibro is doing this.

Hugs,
Kathy

cheryl_v
02-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Hi Kathy. Its only on my scalp. No sores or pink patches any where else. I do agree, after some thought the hair dye does seem a bad idea. Duh me :lol: . New syptoms every day, fun-fun. I also agree, didn't sound like fibro. I read everything I could find, nothing on scalp sores or rashes with fibro. Thought possible a lupus rash of some sort, even though no dx of lupus. But its only on scalp, so just puzzling and unsure what to think. Curious to see if docs chalk this up to fibro too :roll: . Will have them show me proof if they say that, been looking everywhere on connections of fibro and rashes. The joys of our lives at times, maddening :shock: .

Hope everyone sleeps well :D .