PDA

View Full Version : Teeth

justomegirlindallas
01-31-2009, 08:29 PM
I've had dental problems most of my life and I have less than 16 teeth left. MOst of them that are missing are back teeth as I paid thousands of dollars in dental care over the years to keep my teeth as long as I can.

I've always been told I have a dry mouth by my dentists. I had debilitating fear of dentists for most of my life. My teeth really started falling apart when in my mid-teens and I went to several dentists for extensive work. Then when I was 21 I found an older independent dentist that saved a lot of my teeth. (One I saw before that said I needed to have all of my teeth pulled and have dentures) I spent many years being berrated for my dental health by dental health professionals. My last dentist was the first one to tell me that I had a saliva problem and gave me special mouthwash to use to slow down the rate of decay in my teeth.

I went to a prosthedontist and there is no way I can pay for dental implants. I am terrified of getting dentures but I am also exposing myself to potentially lethal infections not to mention many other problems associated with dental problems. In short, I've been postponing the inevitable and I'm really sick of worrying about when my next tooth is going to break or when I'm going to get another abscess..

Now that I have HMO dental insurance, this year may be the best time for me to bite the bullet and start the process of getting my dental situation handled. (ie get consult for dentures)

I'm depressed about being 28 years old and losing my teeth. I don't know that I have any real questions about that as much as I just need some support and hopefully someone to respond that is in the same situation

I can't believe how depressed I get over this - It makes me feel like such a wuss.

sits_inthe_corner
02-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Gentle hugs to ya justomegirlindallas

Support? YOU GOT IT! Hugs to ya. You have every right to feel the way you are feeling.

My mother had lupus, she had all of her teeth removed by the time she was 24. I only ever knew her as having dentures.

She used to harp on us about cleaning our teeth and taking proper care because like you she had been told that she didn't take good enough care of her teeth and that's why they had to be removed.

I'm 48 yrs old, so back when my mom was 24, nothing was known about lupus or dry mouth...she was forced in to feeling shame when it wasn't her fault.

I know she was deep embarrised by wearing dentures, I'm equally embarries about my hairloss.

There are just some things that we have no control over, and it's a struggle to embrace ourselves for who and what we are now.

There are times when I accept who I have become, and times when I RAIL against it.

Get your new teeth and I hope they give you a beautiful smile :D

cherokee993
02-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Don't feel like a wuss, you are not. You are simply being put in a situation that is stinky and its not your fault. I would be upset too. In fact, your post has HELPED me b/c it makes me wonder if all of my dental problems are related to this disease. Very interesting. Gives me somethign to talk to my doc about at my next appointment.

Support is here - lots of positive thoughts coming your way!

karenboss
02-01-2009, 06:46 PM
(((Anna))) the dentists can do amazing things - so glad you can get dentures -

you've had a lot to deal with in your young life - stay strong!

justomegirlindallas
02-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Gentle hugs to ya justomegirlindallas
My mother had lupus, she had all of her teeth removed by the time she was 24. I only ever knew her as having dentures.

She used to harp on us about cleaning our teeth and taking proper care because like you she had been told that she didn't take good enough care of her teeth and that's why they had to be removed.

I'm 48 yrs old, so back when my mom was 24, nothing was known about lupus or dry mouth...she was forced in to feeling shame when it wasn't her fault.

I know she was deep embarrised by wearing dentures, I'm equally embarries about my hairloss.

It is embarrassing - I've very sorry that you have had to deal with hair loss and your mother had to go through her ordeal as well.

Thank you for your encouragement.

justomegirlindallas
02-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Gives me somethign to talk to my doc about at my next appointment.

Support is here - lots of positive thoughts coming your way!

Thank you! Especially if you have Sjogren's, you're at increased risk of having dental problems. I have a feeling dental problems resulting from Autoimmune related diseases is one of the least talked about problems of the diseases.

Angel Oliver
02-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Oh i just read this post,

oh i feel for you truly. I recently had lock jaw and missed the whole of christmas and stayed in hospital through the new year for 5 days. I got lock jaw 3 times and now my jaw isnt in the right place. So when i sleep even with the splint, i break my teeth. They yanked one out whilst in hospital and this week ive been put to sleep again.They're trying to save 2 other teeth. Let me tell you...deep down i know in my heart they both will have to go. My teeth are healthy but my jaw keeps knocking them. Im in so much pain still and have to suck food....toast is weird to suck on lol but when you are hungry its amazing what you come up with to eat. If i loose em thats 3 chewing teeth gone. Like you im afraid of the implant things. I do joke about getting dentures but its not funny really. I cope by joking. I do hope you get sorted soon and they can save your teeth. Wilst i was in hospital a 20 year old girl had all her teeth out cause she had erm...a disease that eats through your gums and her teeth were falling out...sorry i forgot the name. But i said to her are you scared and upset? She told me if she kept her teeth just for vanity she would die and she was in pain. She went on to show me her new set of dentures. I was amazed. She was'nt going to wear them straight away, but it shut me up. She was actually happy cause they looked so real and would'nt have to suffer anymore. I just thought...if that was me id be devastated.But i suppose when it get so bad.....health or vanity....i suppose you have to do what you do.
Anyway, lets hope you get sorted and we both get to keep our teeth. I hope this post doesnt scare you....i realised the story....i mean its meant to help not make you worry. Hope you understand what i mean lol :)

Love
Angel.xx

Davita28
02-09-2009, 01:00 AM
I am glad you wrote this post I have to find a dentist to get checked because my teeth are always aching i never thought that it could be from my lupus. I know how you feel except its my hair and for a girl you know hair is a big deal and i have golf ball size bald spots that are as smooth as a babies bottom no joke but thank god for weave so get your teeth and im going to get me some more weave and we will both look great. and you are not a wuss you wake up and deal with lupus everyday thats super hero stuff

BonusMom
02-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for your candor with the dental issues. I've had dental issues since I was a kid (not helpes by my addiction to sugar). I had braces in my teens so that I would not be embarrassed to smile back at a boy (my dad's words). I, too, fear having dentures and know that dental implants would be very expensive. I have dental insurance (but the cap is pretty low). I heard of a dentist in my area that is experienced with Sjogren's and has been successful in submitting dental bills to medical insurance because a medical condition (Sjogren's) caused the dental problems. I will see the dentist in June.

I would ask your rheumy about getting further labs/diagnostic studies done to determine if you have Sjogren's as well as SLE.

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

justomegirlindallas
05-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Just wanted to give an update. I had my oral surgery last wednesday and no longer have a single tooth in my head. It hurt like hell and I haven't been wearing my dentures very much because my gums have been so swollen but I have to wear them today because I go back to work. It will take some getting used to. Thanks for the support.

magistramarla
05-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Hey Girl,
I hope you're doing better with your new "choppers". I've had similar problems with my teeth all of my life. It certainly all makes sense now that I know that this is a symptom of Sjogren's.
While I was teaching, I was covered under the district's great dental plan, as well as the plan for the AF Reserves. I took advantage and got a large number of my teeth crowned and even got one implant.
Man, did I hate the proceedure for getting that implant. Now, I no longer have any dental insurance, so I hope that what was done stays put!
Hugs,
Marla

SandyR
05-11-2010, 08:17 PM
I remember having all my wisdom teeth pulled at once and can only imagine your pain. But, I can't wait to see a pic of you miling and showing off your beautiful new chompers! Wear them well and with good health!

justomegirlindallas
05-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Hot momma has pretty new teeth and it is an adjustment but no where near as horrible as I thought it would be. If you're suffering with dental issues - Stop suffering and go to a dentist so you don't lose them. XOXO

melly c
06-10-2010, 08:39 AM
aww glad you got new teeth,yes i agree im undergoing extensive dental work in uk to save a tooth asbcess underneath had anti biotics root canal an still infected so more anti biotic into tooth itself and give time to heal meantime tooth filled with temporary filling to stop food/bacteria getting in purchased a good electric rechargeable toothbrush as i also have rheumatoid arthritis so cleaning my teeth was becoming difficult.

i went hospital to see dental consultant waste time.
said carnt give any help that dentist.

carnt give lol.

melly c

jmail
06-24-2010, 02:22 PM
justomegirlindallas, and others, did your dental issues co-incide with ulcers/sores in your mouth? As the sores ebbed & flowed, did your teeth troubles follow? I've got a couple of spots where my mouth sores seem to "gravitate" to, down by the lower molar on the left side lately. I'm a regular at the dentist, and it's uncanny how many times I've been told about the sores (little did I know of the correlation with lupus then). How about plaque? Do you have what a dentist refers to as "obstinant, prodigious amounts"?... lol (in spite of your best efforts with flossing & brushing).

Good luck with the new choppers, justomegirlindallas, and may you never get a sesame seed between them & your gums (old Chinese proverb/saying... tic).

justomegirlindallas
03-16-2012, 08:17 AM
jmail - if your mouth doesnt have the right balance chemically you will be prone to more plaque build up than the next guy. Oral Hygeine needs may have to be altered for your situation as a result.. I had to eventually move to brushing and flossing after every single meal and snack and limit my beverages to only water to slow down the problems.

Infidel
03-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Just wanted to give an update. I had my oral surgery last wednesday and no longer have a single tooth in my head. It hurt like hell and I haven't been wearing my dentures very much because my gums have been so swollen but I have to wear them today because I go back to work. It will take some getting used to. Thanks for the support.

I had my last 6 teeth out 6 months ago and got the lower denture right away...Dentist advised me not to remove it for at least a week...except to rinse.....Was much easier to get used to than the top set....felt like a horse for weeks with those....and took forever to learn how to talk properly. Wear them as much as you possibly can...soon you will not even notice they are there.

Ltucker85
01-22-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm so glad
I saw this post! Within the past year my teeth have gotten so bad. And it never made sense to me because I take such good care of my teeth. Brushing, flossing, oil pulling. And last night I went to the dentist after a year and a half, I have to get 3 teeth pulled and 2000$ in fillings. How does lupus tie in with dental problems?

steve.b
01-22-2013, 11:39 PM
....... How does lupus tie in with dental problems?

there is a number of reasons some lupus sufferers have dental issues.

poor blood circulation causes gum problems.
dry mouth causes severasl issues, including increases decay.
even things like not being able to move your arm is a good patten when brushing your teeth, (fatigue), makes a big difference.
certain medications have side effects that effect our teeth.

these are 4 that come to mind very quickly.

n.mac
01-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Quite coincidentally I went for a dental cleaning thursday last week-extensive decay above a crown was found no choice but to have the tooth pulled.

My dentist pulled x-rays from 15 months ago which showed no decay involving this tooth.

Dentist suggested it may be from sjorgens (which I don't have a diagnoses of but eye dr thinks quite possible as well) or complication of all the meds I take.

This is certainly a wake up call to add my dentist to my can't miss appointments list.