PDA

View Full Version : Some holistic type methods?

cherokee993
01-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Does anyone have anything they use holistic like to help treat their symptoms?

I know I will need meds, right now I'm on vicodin and I am off Plaq. b/c of hive reaction, and we are contemplating Imuran or Methotrexeate. In the meantime I am hurting bad today - even with having just taken my pain meds, thats unusual b/c usually they make me feel better for a bit.

I'm going to get a massage today (a student massage but a massage none the less LOL) and hopefully that will help as I am going to ask them to work on my hands the most.

But I really need to find some other things too. The bulk of my pain is in my hands. I am a mother/baby nurse full time and a full time student (going to school online for my MSN) sooooo I use my hands a lot. I also have a three year old that loves to cuddle and he is 54 pounds so I use my hands a lot. They are aching right now so I apologize if I have a lot of typos.

I was thinking of trying to buy some hot rock massage kits for home use to help with my hands. Any other suggestions?

Also for fatigue? Any advice? I know I need to exercise, but right now its all I can do to get myself to work my 3 twelve plus hour shifts a week, where I am running all day long. So hopefully soon I will incorporate even just walking recreationally in my life, but in the meantime are there any other tips for energy?

I do take vitamins - I had gastric bypass 4 years ago so I take prenatals every day (and I remember most of the time LOL) and I take b supplements when I remember, tryign to do that daily now too. I also am supposed to be taking calcium and D b/c I'm very low on D so I will be doing that as soon as my rx is filled. (hopefully today).

Just looking for ideas, to help until the meds are started (whicever we decide to start).

hatlady
01-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi Cherokee;

Whatever holistic track you take, be sure your doc/rheumy is aware of it and gives you an OK.

Massage is a godsend. Remind the student that you have lupus and cannot handle a heavy touch, no shiatsu. A strong massage will dump too much lactic acid into your system and you'll REALLY hurt. Gentle pressures, a theraputic touch. If your doc will give you an Rx, you can submit the massage cost to your flex spending plan (if you have one.)

I take a combination of inflamation fighting herbs and grain each morning. It is truly an aquired taste - very savory :wink:

2 TBL fresh ground flax seeds (the seeds MUST be ground)
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger
about 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon.

I add a bit of water and make a paste. You could also use apple sauce or yoghurt, whatever, to get it into an edible consistency. The first three reduce inflamation, the third helps the metabolism and helps with LDL cholesterol.

I also take 2 flax oil capsuls with breakfast and another 2 with dinner. High "good" omega oils. I stopped using fish oil when I learned that the cheaper ones could be high mercury, so the flax was a good alternative. The good omegas also help with reducing inflamation.

I stopped eating meat - only wild-caught salmon or tuna, sometimes a few other types fish (NO TILAPIA - too high in the WRONG omegas!). The reduction in meat fats has helped me as well - a diet high in vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, legumes has helped me. As you've had gastric bypass, any dietary change will probably have to be OK'd by your doc.

Gentle exercise - you're getting a lot already it sounds like!

And if you canfind one and aren't worried about that wonderful three year old getting into it....a parafin bath for your hands. Warmth soaking right through.... Now, it might be said by some that a pan of hot dishwater will have the same effect.... (LOL :roll: )

Stay WELL out of the sun year round. You might guess by my moniker that I'll recommend you ALWAYS wear a hat with at least a 4" brim. Even with sunscreen, the added shade is very helpful.

I'm glad your doc is prescribing Vitamin D - mine has me on 1,000 units (or whatever they are) a day. One of my coworkers takes a once a week capsul that is 50,000 units!!!

Hugs, dear!

cherokee993
01-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for those suggestions! I will have to give them a try and talk to my rheumy about them! I do have a wax thingiein my attic. I like it, I stopped using it b/c it takes so long LOL but you know what I have been feeling so bad lately I might just pull it out again. :):)

Yep the doc has me on 50,000 units of vitamin D once a week for 8 weeks. She does that every few months it seems (when I get labwork done), I guess I'm perpetually low.

Thanks for the advice!!!!!!!!!!!!