PDA

View Full Version : Lactose Intolerance

DrinkofWtr
01-29-2009, 09:05 AM
When I was told by my Dr., I was lactose intolerant I had to give up a lot of foods and beverages that had milk in them. Does anyone know of a really good cookbook for lactose intolerant people that won't have any milk or dairy in the recipes? Thanks.

Saysusie
01-29-2009, 09:40 AM
I, too, am lactose intolerant and living by this restriction is not as bad as you may think.
First, you do not need to change your recipes...there are lactose free milk products (Such as "Lactaid") sold in almost all grocery stores. There is NO difference in the taste and, like regular milk, you can purchase it low-fat to fat-free. This holiday season, I was so happy to see that they now have lactose-free eggnog!!
Also, go to your neighborhood health food store. There you will find dairy-free cheeses (in all flavors), cream cheese, sour cream, etc. (most made of Tofu and/or soy). Also, there are alternatives to ice cream which come in many flavors (Also made of soy or tofu).
Now, you may find that your body will tolerate the white cheeses, even being lactose intolerant. But, stay away from ALL yellow cheeses (unless it is a soy or tofu product).
If you are a coffee drinker, know that almost all flavored creamers are non-dairy.
It is, nowadays, fairly easy to maintain a lactose-free diet because there are so many options on the market. Let me know if you need any more lactose-free suggestions. I've been living with this now for 10yrs!

Best Of Luck
Saysusie

iseedeadmonkeys
01-29-2009, 11:10 AM
You know its funny what ones body does to them,
about 6 years ago i got told i was lactose intollerate, then i read somewhere that ones body changes every 5 years so 5 years later i decided to start drinking milk again, strangely i was fine again, theres alot of this in the news over here atm,
just thought id say tht lol

ISDM
xx

Danica01
02-01-2009, 12:04 AM
I have not been officially told that I can not have dairy but when I eat it, it makes me very.....very sick :!: I am doubled over in pain and crying. It is not worht it and I refuse to eat anything dairy. It has helped so much and I really am not mising it :wink: It is not worh the yuck it causes! I did find lactose free ice cream. It is flavored as vanilla bean and is really good :!: You will figure out what to do and you will relize in the end that you really don't miss it :D

DrinkofWtr
02-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I have been lactose intolerate for some time now. I was not just recently diagnosed with this. Sorry, I didn't state this in my original blurb. I just have never found a really, good lactose-free cookbook.

I go to the regular cookbooks and try to find recipes that don't have milk or dairy in them. I just wanted to have one "lactose-free" cookbook to go to, instead of several regular cookbooks.

Unfortunately, the pills that enable people to partake of dairy haven't worked well for me.