PDA

View Full Version : muscle spasms

cheryl_v
01-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Is there any relief for muscle spasms? Some times its quick and over with. Other times its mild, but continuos. Its up my entire right arm. Effecting the usage of it, and causing weakness temperarly. Thankfully I'm right and left handed, so able to deal with the non-use. Just want the pain it gives and leaves to be relieved. Tried hot bath, muscle creams, warm compress. Fine, but short term if it even works. Is there away to help and relieve spasms? Or is it yet another thing to learn to deal with in having FMS. Would an inflammitory med help? Its driving me crazy. Muscle cramps and spasms are a hard thing to deal with. How does eveyone else deal and handle it. Curious to know if there's relief and something I can do at home to help.

karli1238
01-29-2009, 01:08 AM
I've been getting spasms in my back. I take flexeril for it. They relax the muscles. I mostly just take it at night or half dose during the day. Hope you get some releif soon.

cheryl_v
01-29-2009, 04:28 AM
Me too, thanks karli.

A little better today. Although it feels worn out, like I overused it. Funny how it can feel like that even though I haven't used it. Does your back feel worn out after spasms? Is that normal for the muscles to feel over used afterwards? I've had muscle cramps, pain, weakness and twitching many times before. This is a bit new and so strange feeling.

iseedeadmonkeys
01-29-2009, 05:22 AM
I dint no you could get muscle spasm tablets? im always getting them at one point the drs thought i had mioclonic epeilespy :!:

i get it all over my body sometimes when im really ill, never thought about askin about it tho just assumed thats waht you get with lupus!

i will ask consultant feb thanx for raising this!

ISDM
xx

Danica01
01-31-2009, 11:47 PM
I am also on flexeril and it helps with the muscle spasms amd just helps my muscles over all just relax. It is a huge help and I only take it at night because it makes me tired :wink: Good luck and keep us posted on how you are feeling :D

TobyJug
02-01-2009, 03:19 AM
hey...

Yeh muscle spasms are rubbish I have them mainly in my back and arm/ hands .... sometimes so bad that I can't move for a bit until it relaxes a bit....

The doc had me on Amitriptyline for this to relax the muscles but they made me so energy less even more than normal that I stopped taking them looking for an alternative soon tho as the spasms have been worse again....

anyway good luck.....
Diazepam is good too they gave me that a few years ago but they did not associate the spasms with Lupus at the time....

TobyJug
02-01-2009, 03:19 AM
hey...

Yeh muscle spasms are rubbish I have them mainly in my back and arm/ hands .... sometimes so bad that I can't move for a bit until it relaxes a bit....

The doc had me on Amitriptyline for this to relax the muscles but they made me so energy less even more than normal that I stopped taking them looking for an alternative soon tho as the spasms have been worse again....

anyway good luck.....
Diazepam is good too they gave me that a few years ago but they did not associate the spasms with Lupus at the time....

cheryl_v
02-01-2009, 02:19 PM
They are less frequent at the moment, thankfully. Mainly just twiching these past 2 days. Now scalp issues I had forgotten to mention. I don't want to take more meds, but I'll consider it. It scares me when I hold my 2yr old. Afraid I'll drop her if it happens while holding or picking her up. I thought twitching was bad, thought wrong. Anything over the counter help any at all? There are so many scripts, any with low side effects in case I go with scripts?

Danica01
02-02-2009, 02:38 AM
That must be very hard with a little one who just wants her mommy :( I wish I had some advice but I am not sure at this point. Have you tried fish oil? I hear that it helps overall issues that we have. I could not tolerate it but it is worth a try. I found this:

http://arthritis-symptom.com/pain/muscle-spasms.htm

Take a look and see if there is anything under the treatments you would like to try and bring it up to your doctor :D Good luck and keep us posted :wink:

Oluwa
02-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Hey CV...

Hope your arm didn't fuss with you last night...

I was prescribed Methocarbamol for my leg spasms after my lumbar back surgeries. A very successful drug. They were ugly... I had the whole hamhock, leg that went into massive spasms. Drew up like I willfully bent it..

In taking enough potassium? Liquids?

I still get spasms, Charlie horses...infrequently though. For me, they occur when I am dry, parched. And too when I pop a Lasix, diuretic to drain the tree trunks, edema and forget my potassium pill.

I don't recall it being sedating for me, unlike Flexeril.

Muscle spasms are a symptom of FMS....

If you are getting enough liquids and the like...maybe seek out PT, heat, massage or acupuncture as an alternative to drugs.

I've also read, CV that they may be treated or prevented with Gingko. And also may help is vitamin E, niacin, calcium, and magnesium....may help to reduce the likelihood of night cramps.

Mental stress can bring on muscle spasms... simple example...'eye twitch' could happen to any muscle.

Physical stress, over working your arm during the day? Holding it in one position? Are you stretching out your muscles in a soothing way? Not extending outward...but up and over to elongate...

If it is at night it could be restless leg syndrome, RLS. They say it isn't just limited to the legs, but the other limbs too. My RLS is undercontrol..after months of dosing with Requib I haven't had any symptoms for a long while.. Knock on wood. Rap, rap. My legs would throb,ache and twitch and I would twist them around each other like a pretzel and squeeze..

I am so thankful for Requib. Thank you, Dear Lord for giving man the knowledge to make the pill. I thought it was residual pain from my failed surgeries...and had to live with it. Nope. No more saltless, twisted legs filled with pain.

Do you think you have a pinched nerve? Cervical spine? Herniated disk? My entire arm, shoulder and blade would have severe pain. Finally was relieved after my cervical spine surgery...

It's Monday..Happy Days..
Hugs...
Love,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
02-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi and thanks for all the advice. I eat lots of fish and drink soy milk, so plenty of omega-3's. Haven't been taking vitamins latey, forgot. Been doing usual work, but am more tired from it than usual. Didn't know RLS can be in other limbs, interesting fact. Seems FMS causes so much, just hard to keep track. I'll try to take my vitamins, there probably low. Did last month have a cold, then border-line sinus infection, stomache flu and severe sore throat with no voice. Maybe my body's just depleted.

Sleep wasn't good, lil miss kept waking up wanting to play. So tired.