PDA

View Full Version : New medications

NoodleMom
01-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I sAW MY RHEUMATOLOGIST THIS MORNING. sHE IS ADDING iMURAN, fLEXERAL AND SOMETHING TO HELP WITH DRY MOUTH AND EYES. i CANT REMEMBER what it is called. She also gave me a steroid shot. Right in my rumplestiltskin!

She said that seeing the GI doc next week is a good idea. She said getting my gall bladder removed is a good idea if indeed it is my gall bladder causing my tummy issues. She doesnt think that they are lupus related.

What can you tell me about Imuran? I know it is a chemo drug.

K

iseedeadmonkeys
01-26-2009, 11:17 AM
noodlepoodle

yeah get rid of the gallbladder they are useless really, not needed in ya body yet causes probs with them there, join my club :D

im more of an methotrexate girl :) sorry dont know much about imuran, but i know a few girls who do :wink: it is a chemothreapy drug also,
goodluck wit it all

ISDM
xx

Rastagirl
01-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi Noodlemom,

I'll share the little bit I know about Imuran......I know Saysusie will give you the full rundown.

Imuran is an immunosuppressant, that does just what it's name says, suppress your immune system.

In the first few months after my diagnosis, the Prednisone alone just wasn't doing it for me, so my doc put me on it. He was having good success combining it with Prednisone. It definitely calmed things way down with my Lupus and was the reason we were finally able to begin lowering the Prednisone dose. For me, it truly was a lifesaver.

I was on it for 10 years and then was able to stop it during my pregnancies and remain off of it.

I did have to be more cautious with my suppressed immune system while on it and really pay attention to anything that might be an infection brewing, or an odd symptom. I would always bring any lumps or bumps or oddities to my docs attention right away, before anything had a chance to be missed or get out of control.

And, for me, it was the one drug that I never really had any noticeable side effects with. It just seemed to do its job and calm my immune system down, at least enough so I could function much better than without it.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Don't be afraid to try a new drug. Sometimes it can be just the right combination your body needs to begin to feel better. If not, then you stop it and keep on trying.

I'm hoping this will be the combination that works for your body. :)

Fondly,

Lori :P

Danica01
01-31-2009, 11:03 PM
Noodlemom! I am so excited that you have some new medicine :!: I am on flexril and take one every night before bed. My doctor has mentioned Imuran but we went with methotrexate instead. I just hope the combination of all the new meds work for you and that you get some much needed relief from the pain :wink: Keep us posted on how you are doing with the new meds!!!!

NoodleMom
02-04-2009, 07:54 AM
I think that I have been on the new meds now for about a week. I am seeing improvement. :D How awesome is that? My muscles relax more at night and I can sleep better. My mouth actually has spit in it. Sometimes I even have to use a tissue to wipe my lips and I have to sometimes swallow now when talking. (that sounds kinda odd, funny odd :oops: ) but the best one of all....I have more energy, more stamina I actually feel better. I can get out of bed and do some stuff. My belly is feeling better too.
Imuran who'da thunk?

K

sits_inthe_corner
02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
YAH NoodleMom

Glad it's working for you, prayers for continued improvement.

Saysusie
02-05-2009, 09:09 AM
NoodleMom;
I am so happy to hear that you are already seeing improvement with your new meds. Removal of the gall bladder is usually done by Laparoscopic cholecystectomy because it is so much less intrusive. It uses a thin, lighted tube called a laparoscope, which lets the doctor see inside your abdomen. The surgeon makes about four small cuts in the belly area and inserts the laparoscope. Carbon dioxide enters the belly area, which helps lift the abdomen up, so the surgeon has more space to work. The surgeon cuts the duct and vessels going to the gallbladder and removes the organ. Laparoscopic surgery is often associated with a lower rate of complications, a shorter hospital stay, and better cosmetic results than the open procedure.

However, in complicated cases, an open cholecystectomy may be performed. A larger surgical cut is made just below the ribs on the right side of the abdomen. The vessels and ducts going to the gallbladder are cut and closed with clips, and the gallbladder is removed.

If doctors suspect infection or inflammation (which can be caused by Lupus), they will suggest removal of the gall bladder. Did your doctor do a HIDA scan? Gall bladders can become infected or inflamed without stones. If you have had a lot of pain and symptoms that may be related to the gall bladder, and if your doctor found no stones on an ultrasound scan, he/she should do a further check with a HIDA scan. An inflamed gall bladder can cause further trouble, and should be treated. Currently, the best possible permanent solution for an inflamed gall bladder is surgical removal. Complications are rare. When complications occur, they may be in the form of: bleeding, infection and injury to the duct (tube) that carries bile from your gallbladder to your stomach. Some patients also experience diarrhea. The cause of diarrhea after gallbladder removal isn't clear.

The gallbladder (or cholecyst, sometimes gall bladder) is a small non-vital organ which aids in the digestive process and concentrates bile produced in the liver. The gallbladder is connected to the liver by the hepatic duct. It is approximately 3 to 4 inches (7.6 to 10.2 cm) long and about 1 inch (2.5 cm) wide. The function of the gallbladder is to store bile and concentrate. Bile is a digestive liquid continually secreted by the liver. The bile emulsifies fats and neutralizes acids in partly digested food. A muscular valve in the common bile duct opens, and the bile flows from the gallbladder into the cystic duct, along the common bile duct, and into the duodenum (part of the small intestine).

I found some home remedies for treatment of the gall bladder. I don't know how effective they are and cannot recommend one over the other. I am just giving them to you so that you can decide for yourself;

Gall Bladder treatment using Beet

Fresh juice of beets, and the juices of carrot and cucumber in quantities of 100 ml each, are one of the finest cleansers of the gall-bladder. This combined juice has proved beneficial in the treatment of all disorders related to this organ, and should be taken twice daily.
Gall Bladder Disorder treatment using Pear

The pear is another excellent remedy for gall-bladder disorders. The fruit or its juice should he taken liberally by the patient with beneficial results. It exercises a special healing effect on all gall-bladder disorders, including gallstones.
Gall Bladder treatment using Chicory

The flowers, seeds, and roots of chicory or the endive plant are considered valuable in gall-bladder disorders. A decoction of about 30-60 ml of the flowers, seeds, or roots can be used three times daily with beneficial results in the treatment of these disorders. Endive or chicory juice in almost any combination promotes the secretion of bile and is, therefore, very good for both liver and gall-bladder dysfunctions.
Gall Bladder treatment using Dandelion

Dandelion has a beneficial effect on the gall bladder. About 125 ml each of the juices of dandelion and watercress should be taken twice daily. Combined with a vegetarian diet, without much sugar and starch, these juices help to make the gall¬bladder normal.
Gall Bladder treatment using Olive and Sunflower Oil

I wish you the very best. Please let me know if you need anything furhter!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

An oil cure has been advocated by some nature cure practitioners for the removal of gallstones. Raw, natural, unrefined vegetable oils of olive or sunflower are used. The procedure is to take 30 ml of vegetable oil, preferably olive oil, first thing in the morning and follow it immediately with 120 ml of grapefruit juice or lemon juice. This treatment should be taken every morning for several days, even weeks, if necessary.

Danica01
02-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I am soooooooooo happy you are seeing improvement :D Sleep is soooo important to us and we can get very sick if we do not get enough. I am happy you are actually sleeping right now :!: Have you heard anything about your gall bladder????? I had laproscopic surgery this past December and it really wasn't that bad. There is pain for about a day and the worst part is staying in bed until you heal. Keep us posted on if and when you have your surgery. I am sending you healing thoughts tonight and sweet dreams :angel:

mountaindreamer
02-09-2009, 06:26 PM
hi noodlemom,

do you know what type of steroid shot you got? I am so glad that yu are getting some relief, and I hope it lasts for a long time.

share a smile today,

NoodleMom
02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
no i dont know. it sure hurt tho.

Having good adys and bad.

k