PDA

View Full Version : Who Gives Us These Names?

DrinkofWtr
01-23-2009, 07:18 AM
I was wondering who gives us these names on the message board?Mine keeps changing all the time. I like the current name I have, Alley Cat. It suits me!

rob
01-23-2009, 07:29 AM
It's an automatic program that assigns a title according to how many posts you have. Nobody actually watches and then gives us these titles, it's all automatic like the auto-censor. But, the names themselves had to have been imagined by our Admin when the site was first built. I'm just glad I'm past the title "kitten". Kitten is not a good nickname for a guy! My current title "Grizzly Bear" is much better.

Angel Oliver
01-23-2009, 08:52 AM
I noticed this the other day too.....when i was a ferret lol :) Im a house cat now i think MEOW....i like this one :)

iseedeadmonkeys
01-23-2009, 12:04 PM
feirce puppy? pr summin like that, i liked the monkey one :D

KathyW1958
01-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi Rob,
I could imagine you being called a kitten. That is so funny and you are right it is not a good guy name lol.

Hugs,
Kathy

Rastagirl
01-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Hello Rob,

I was thinking 'Grizzly Bear' is a better name for you cuz I remember you saying you're tall, over 6 feet. That seems a better match than 'kitten'. That one I had a hard time picturing. :lol:

Looks like I'm only a 'Goldfish' at this point. Which makes me think of a line in one of my favorite songs by Pink Floyd,

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year. Running over the same old ground, but have we found, the same old fears....Wish you were here."

I just love your tagline right now, by David Gilmour. That song's also one of my absolute favorites...........'No More Turning Away'. Such a powerful song, lyrically. (As are ALL Pink Floyd songs) It gives me shivers when I hear it.

Okay, just a few more posts to go and maybe I'll be a snow leopard or a furry baby seal or something.

Hope today is a good one for you.................... :P

Lori

rob
01-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi Lori,

Yep, I'm 6'1" 220 lbs, so I guess grizzly bear fits! So you are a fellow Pink Floyd fan. Very cool. I basically have every album/cd they've ever made. I have all the David Gilmour solo stuff too. Have you listened to Gilmours newest material? The album is called "On an Island", and it's some great stuff. Very mellow. Wish You Were Here is one of my favorites. I saw Pink Floyd perform live back when The Division Bell album came out. I think it was around 1994? It was unforgettable and ranks up there with the best live performances I've ever seen. I really like the song "High Hopes" from that album. The concert I saw is pretty much the same as the show filmed at London's Earls Court that's called "Pulse" It was complete with helicopters, crashing airplanes, pigs, lasers, and that giant disco ball thing that opens up at the end. It was a huge production, and they sounded absolutely perfect. Ah, the memories.

mountaindreamer
01-23-2009, 05:14 PM
hi rob and lori,

just wanted to join in on the pink floyd fan club. the fishbowl song is one of my absolute favorites.

thanks to you both, this forum makes the difference in my day.

share a smile today,
phyllis

Rastagirl
01-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Same here, Rob. I have every album, everything by David Gilmour. Every single DVD they've come out with. My favorite music DVD by them is 'Delicate Sound of Thunder'. My husband and I have a projector that's mounted on the ceiling of our family room (courtesy of my electronically-abled husband) with a 72" pull down screen, like the ones we used to have in school) and 5.1 surround sound that vibrates every window in the house. :lol:

'On an Island' is outstanding. You're right, pretty mellow. That one is my favorite when I'm in the mellow mood.

One of my biggest disappointments in life is that I never got to see them in concert. The concert in '94 sounds unbelievable. Would have loved to see it. Where did you see that one?

I have to share a story.......about 3 or 4 years ago, I was getting my hair cut at my hairdressers in downtown Portland and came in wearing my 'Dark Side of the Moon' teeshirt. One of the other hairdressers saw it and said, "Hey, did you see them the other day in Portland?" I just laughed and said yeah, right. He said, "No, I'm serious, they showed up and surprised everyone at a KINK FM radio station outdoor concert at Pioneer Courthouse Square. Pioneer Square is right in the middle of downtown Portland, a big square made of bricks with big stairs going all the way down to the middle where they hold rallies, concerts, movies under the stars. It's really cool with fountains and one of the best places to people watch in Portland. Anyway, when I realized he was serious, I could have kicked myself. (Really hard!!) I had actually saw an ad for the concert featuring some really good local bands in a newspaper and thought about going that day. What an idiot, I felt like crying. :cry: If only I had shown up. He told me they had played an incredible set to a totally surprised crowd.

As I'm typing this, I noticed that Mountain Dreamer, Phyllis, piped up. We've got another hardcore Pink Floyd fan joining in. Personally, I have always liked anyone with enough taste to like Pink Floyd.

Phyllis, glad we could make you smile with nostalgia. :D

I've managed to turn my kids (son, 16 daughter, 12) into fans too. When I picked up my son from high school today, he picked up my MP3 player hooked up in the car, chose Pink Floyd's 'Money' and cranked it up. :D We listened to it all the way home.

I think I'll suggest to my husband that we fire up the projector tonight and listen to/watch some 'Floyd'.

Happy Friday,

Lori 8)

Mary Jane
01-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm glad someone asked about the nick name...I was wondering myself.

notsurerfh
01-24-2009, 07:37 AM
everytime i sign on i look forward to seeing if mine has changed. its very clever and takes the fear and seriousness of our worries away for a minute and that always helps.

rob
01-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Lori,

I saw them at Mile High Stadium in Denver, and it was 1994. So they played an inpromptu gig in Portland a few years back, wow, I'd be very dissapointed to have missed that. That must have been when Roger Waters temporarily got back together with the rest of the band and they did some shows in Europe I believe. It wasn't an actual tour though. My sister bought me Delicate Sound of Thunder for X-mas a couple of years back. I really like their live performances. Your projector setup sounds awesome. I watched the Pulse DVD over at my parents house on their huge flat screen system. They have a Bose surround sound setup and it was the next best thing to being there. That's interesting that you have your kids turned on to them. When I was a kid, I really didn't like Pink Floyd. I didn't "get it" so to speak. I've always thought their music was really complex, and an acquired taste. I grew up in the late 70's early 80's and was a total metal-head. Back then even the harder Floyd tracks were too mellow for me and my leather clad delinquent headbanger friends. If we only knew what we were missing!

Rastagirl
01-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Rob,

'Leatherhead, delinquent headbanger friends', now that brings some fun images and a smile to my face. :lol: Ahhh...I remember those young, carefree days when the most important thing was how you were going to dress that day(your image) and what you and your friends would do that night.

I'm pretty sure my kids are turned on to my music because they were exposed in the womb to all the greats.....besides Pink Floyd, there was Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, Eric Clapton, Rush, Yes, Moody Blues, Loggins & Messina, Queen, Heart, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and on and on. And they have had continuous exposure ever since. They certainly have, of course, their preferences now. My sons into 'System of a Down, and some Japanese rock bands, for my daughter it's hip hop, Gwen Stefani, Kanye, anything with a strong beat, but my husband and I gave them a good strong foundation! :D

Thanks for sharing your 'Floyd' concert experience with me. And you're right, watching them on the big screen with an amazing sound system is most certainly the next best thing to being there. Especially when you're health dictates, at times, that you be house or couch-bound.

Thank God for music for our hearts and souls (my life would have such an empty hole without it) and for those that supply us with abundant technology to enjoy it!

Rock on........

Lori 8)

Mary Jane
01-25-2009, 11:05 PM
What about the butterflies...what do they stand for????

rob
01-26-2009, 06:24 AM
What about the butterflies...what do they stand for????

That's a highly classified state secret. Only members of the We Have Lupus inner sanctum who know the handshake and have the secret decoder ring are entitled to access that information.

Actually, I have no idea what the five butterflies mean. I suppose I should find out since I'm a moderator and I should know these things. I also have 4 butterflies so . . . I'll appeal to our Admin and see if I can find out the mystery of the five butterflies.

rob
01-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Rob,

'Leatherhead, delinquent headbanger friends', now that brings some fun images and a smile to my face. :lol: Ahhh...I remember those young, carefree days when the most important thing was how you were going to dress that day(your image) and what you and your friends would do that night.

I'm pretty sure my kids are turned on to my music because they were exposed in the womb to all the greats.....besides Pink Floyd, there was Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, Eric Clapton, Rush, Yes, Moody Blues, Loggins & Messina, Queen, Heart, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and on and on. And they have had continuous exposure ever since. They certainly have, of course, their preferences now. My sons into 'System of a Down, and some Japanese rock bands, for my daughter it's hip hop, Gwen Stefani, Kanye, anything with a strong beat, but my husband and I gave them a good strong foundation! :D

Thanks for sharing your 'Floyd' concert experience with me. And you're right, watching them on the big screen with an amazing sound system is most certainly the next best thing to being there. Especially when you're health dictates, at times, that you be house or couch-bound.

Thank God for music for our hearts and souls (my life would have such an empty hole without it) and for those that supply us with abundant technology to enjoy it!

Rock on........

Lori 8)

Those days were some good ones. Not only were your leathers, concert tee-shirts and your boots a status symbol, but you car was the biggest. When I was growing up muscle cars and 50's classics were the rage. I spent much of my time in high school rebuilding and customizing a 1957 Chevy Bel Air that I rescued from a cow pasture for a few hundred bucks. After a couple of years of work, it rolled out of my father's garage and was beautiful in it's candy burgundy paintjob. It had a state of the art 8-track player and sound system complete with a tape floor rack full of the likes of Zeppelin, AC/DC, Foreigner, Journey, and Ozzy. When I finally rolled it out for the first time, it was a summer Saturday afternoon, and it turned into a neighborhood event with about 30 people showing up to see if my sow's ear had indeed become a silk purse. Those were simpler times.

I saw an old music video the other day. It was the great Bob Seger song "Like a Rock". In the video, he's out driving in the country at night in a beautiful 57' vette when he comes to a train crossing and stops because of the train. He see's on the other side of the tracks, all of his childhood friends in their hotrods wearing their leather jackets, arm around their girlfriends. It really brought back memories for me. Those were good days. No lupus, no friends coming home covered in the flag, no 9/11, no divorce. I'd give almost anything to have that carefree innocence back.

admin
01-26-2009, 09:51 AM
I think the butterflys are according to how many posts you have.

summerdragonfly
01-26-2009, 11:39 AM
my husband says that they have to do with how many posts' you have. if you notice that people with 4000 posts' have 4 or 5 butterflies. and less than 100 dont have any yet. i believe it goes like this:
0-99 no butterflies
100-199 one butterfly
200- 699 two butterflies
700-999 three butterlies
1000- 3999 four
4000- + Five
Or somthing to that effect.

Rastagirl
01-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Rob

I can picture your car now. What a beauty......candy burgundy. 8) Must have felt so good to bring it back to life with your sweat and own two hands.

You're right, in those days your car said just as much about you as your clothes and music. In fact, the first thing that attracted me to my husband was his 1968 Mustang Fastback...............

Just kidding, it was his blue eyes. :roll: Then his Mustang!!

Thanks for sharing your memories with me.

Fondly,

Lori :P