PDA

View Full Version : Amitriptyline

Danica01
01-22-2009, 11:09 PM
I justI had the doctor add Amitriptyline to my long list of medications. She is hoping that it will help me sleep at night. I will take up to three of them two hours before bed.....10mg each. I am still taking the Lyrica. She is hoping it will help with the fybromyalgia symptoms :shock: I hope it works.......I really miss the feeling of a good nights sleep :sleeping:

karli1238
01-23-2009, 12:29 AM
I hope the new med helps you. I am going to ask my dr about taking something. I can't be staying up all night. Hope you got some sleep. I'm still up and its 12 so much for going to bed early...

Angel Oliver
01-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Hi Danica,

Yes it does help. I am on it since my spell in the hospital at Christmas time. As you know im awake awake awake.....ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH INSOMNIA LOL :)
I take it just at night, but mine has been prescribed also for bringing down the inflamation in my jaw plus the sleep. You wont feel anything at first as it takes time to get into your system. But it has a double use for inflamation and sleep....so it could help you in the long term hopefully. I am also on Lyrica.....plus Temazepam and you know the long list im on.

Try not to worry about how much medication you are on.You are on it to get you to feel better. You wont be on it forever, but just long enough to make life bearable. The Doctor will know when its time to come off them, so just relax and hopefully you'll feel the benefit of using them....if not just tell your Doctor and he'll try you with something else.

I read your other post about the blood pressure and your heart. I carnt unfortunately advise you but i had very high blood pressure recently like you, but mine seems to be coming down. Please try to relax a little...you are like me and think the worst immediately and worry worry worry. I so hope it's something the doctors can sort out for you and i pray its nothing so bad as what you imagine. If it is.....the Doctors will help you and we are all here waiting for you ...so keep strong.

Thinking of you
Angel.xx

Rastagirl
01-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I've been on Amytriptyline (Elavil) for quite a few years now, and it works really well for me.

My doctor prescribed it because I was not sleeping, just worrying. When it was time to sleep, I would lay there and worry and couldn't stop thinking of all the things I had to do, I was trying to sort out problems, my mind just wouldn't shut down. The stress was too much. I was also having very difficult postpartum depression.

I also take it an hour or so before bedtime, only 2 tabs, 20 mg. works for me. I'm able to fall asleep and stay asleep all night. :)

You should make sure you're consistent and take it every night though, because it builds up in your system and works best when you have consistent levels (according to my doc).

I do remember when I first started taking it, it left me with a groggy feeling the next morning, which I didn't like. But within a week or two, once it built up in my system, that effect disapppeared.

I hope this offers some encouragement and reassurance that this medication can be very helpful for this purpose. I know I definitely have an easier time dealing with all that comes with this disease when I've had a proper rest each night. Getting your 7 or 8 hours can make a world of difference in how you survive the day.

Here's hoping for a good night's sleep in your near future. :sleeping:

Lori :P

Danica01
01-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Lori and Angel.............

It helped last night :!: I was able to fall a sleep and stay a sleep all night :!: I can not believe the difference sleep makes for over all function during the day. I am going to stick to one for right now and see how long that works and the doctor gave me permission to take up to three if needed. I am going to try and take it every night at the exact same time :wink: It made me feel better to see that others are on it along with the Lyrica. I will let you know tomorrow if tonight is as successful as last night :D

Karli................

It is horrible when we can not sleep :( It seems like a horrible spiral drop that keeps going and going the longer we are awake. I hope the doctor can give you something. You should ask her about the ones we are on and see if they are an option for you :wink:

rob
01-23-2009, 04:52 PM
I have terrible insomnia. I'm going to ask my Dr. about this medication at my next appointment. Sounds like some of you are having great results with it.

Rastagirl
01-23-2009, 04:54 PM
So glad to hear you slept, Danica. :D

What a good feeling it is to wake up refreshed. Makes it just a little easier to deal with what comes through the day with all our other symptoms. A good night's sleep can make all the difference in my attitude for the whole day.

Here's hoping for many more restful nights and peaceful dreams ahead for you!!

Happy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's

Fondly,

Rastagirl
01-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Rob

I was thinking about you as a replied to this post. I recall the times you've mentioned your many sleepless nights and was wondering if you had ever tried Amytriptyline.

It seems like it might be worth a try. As I said, my doctor has me on a very low dose, 20 mg. at bedtime, because I'm such a small person (5'2 and 105 lbs.) You might possibly need a bit more for it to be successful.......I'm sure your doctor will know the correct dosage for someone bigger.

It certainly can't hurt to talk to your doctor about trying it and get his/her opinion.

Danica01
01-23-2009, 10:18 PM
I actually fell a sleep tonight while watching tv :D I just had to hop on here really quick and tell you that I am so sleepy and I am fighting to keep my eyes open :wink: I am so happy my doctor is trying something new and that I am actually feeling the results.

Rob, you have to ask your doctor about this. I know when my doctor and I were talking there were a few options in this family of medications so there has to be something to help you. It so horrible not sleeping and the brain fog is 100% worse when this happens. When do you get to see the doctor next?

Well, sweet dreams to all og you and I am sending gentle good night hugs and to you Rob, I am sending you thoughts of relaxation and peace :sleeping:

Angel Oliver
01-24-2009, 02:52 AM
Hi Danica,

Im so happy to read your post that you slept. May it continue every night.

Love
Angel.xxx

rob
01-24-2009, 06:33 AM
I didn't realize Amytriptyline was a tricyclic antidepressant. I won't be asking my Dr. about it. I had a terrible experience a few years back while on a different tricyclic antidepressant. It basically turned me into a raging lunatic. I was no longer me, and it was scary as hell. I'll have to try something else for my insomnia.

Angel Oliver
01-25-2009, 05:15 AM
Hi Rob,

Just to let you know. I too have had terrible reactions to a.d's....e.g on one of them i saw a ufo (like the one in close encounters lol) and then i saw my dog dissapear in front of my own eyes.(I convinced myself the aliens had taken her lol) Then one day on another one i ran into my Mams bedroom shouting ''Its the end of the world'' (i truly believed it). Yes she really
thought id lost the plot.I can laugh about it now....but it was so scary.
Last year i was put on Amitript a big dose and it made me very bad and i didnt sleep. NOW whilst i was in hospital they put me back on it, knowing the effects it had on me first time round and monitored me. I am now on only 50mg a day....this is helping the imflammation in my jaw and i do feel a little benefit at night....i dont know whether its because im in pain with my mouth or cause of all the total meds i am on.....but wait for it.........Last night i went to bed at 12 and slept from 1.30 ish till 4 am then 4.30 till 11am this morning.WOW (Angel attempts a back flip :) ) This is amazing for me who usually has none or a couple of hours a night.

So basically Rob, just ask your Doctor to try this for you on a low dose. High dose is usually used for depression ut it also is mainly used for joint inflammation and i am NOT seeing aliens now lol :) Just thought id let you know, cause i know how scarey it can be.

Love
Angel xxxxx
(Aliens friend) :)

Danica01
01-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Well, the last two nights have been a struggle to really sleep. I will fall a sleep but after that a few hours later, I am wide awake :? So, I am going to up the dose to two pills tonight which will put me at 20mg. Hopefully I will see results that a last a little longer than just the one night :wink: I am very hopeful :!:

Cupcakelove
02-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Wow it is so weird to know that all these medications are used for different reasons.

I was given Elavil this past summer to try and help get some pain relief from my Interstitial cystitis. This drug is an anti-depressant and seems to have many uses.

It can help with nerve pain, sort of takes the edge off, but I couldn't tolerate the side effects.

But many people say it helps with some of their pain...and it definitely will KNOCK you out thats for sure.

I'm glad people are getting relief.

Danica01
02-09-2009, 02:15 AM
I am struggling with sleep still. I am already taking pills at bedtime but it is not keeping me a sleep.The doctor said I could go up to three at bed time but I am trying to wait until Thursday when I go back in to see the good ole doc......any advice?????

TobyJug
02-09-2009, 02:49 AM
I can't sleep at all either....
I only sleep a little bit...
I was on on Amytriptyline for about 10 months.... I hated the drug..
I cud still not sleep at all... and am a little bit with Rob there I had extreme mood swings on the med...

So yeh I just stopped taking it... (I still have to boxes up stairs..)

Ehhhhh if u really want to sleep have a drink..... (lots....) :twisted:

Danica01
02-09-2009, 02:56 AM
I hate not sleeping :( It makes everything you feel so much worse. I know I am tired but my body just won't let me sleep! What do we do :?: :?:

TobyJug
02-09-2009, 03:13 AM
I hate not sleeping :( It makes everything you feel so much worse. I know I am tired but my body just won't let me sleep! What do we do :?: :?:

have a bottle of vodka or Jack Daniels.... I am sure u will sleep.... :lol:

no seriously I am sorry to hear u can't sleep.... I know what it's like...
I hav come to a point now tho that I feel worse when I actually sleep more than a few hours..... weird ay.....
But I have never really slept much my whole life....

mountaindreamer
02-09-2009, 05:56 PM
I had a dr. to suggest Amytriptyline for my fibromyalgia. I checked with my PCP, and when she told me it was an antidepressant, I said no thanks. I have nothing but bad luck with those. Also, she checked, and Amytriptyline is not compatable with Rythmol, which is what I take to keep my heart rate in rhythm.

Anyway, be sure that your drs. check, for compatibility between old and new drugs. This was an afterthought on her part, and I am glad she checked.

share a smile today,

Danica01
02-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I am very lucky, not only does my doctor check but my pharmacist checks for me too. I feel so much better about medications when I have both ends checking for me :D You are right,some don't check and this can cause some severe problems for the person taking all the medication.

Angel Oliver
02-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi Danica,

How you doing on the Amitryptaline? Is it working for you? Has you sleep got any better and is it helping the pain? I so hope it is .

After my day at the doctors yesterday, i have made a drastic move. I stopped the Tramadol as i was still in pain and have been on it for over a month now, so i should feel the benefits by now.It just took the edge off and thats all and made me very drowsy....zombie like....ok like normal lol.

The Lyrica, i have also stopped as i was having severe headaches,migrane and terrible nightmares....oh and sleep walking.Getting into a single bed with my mam lol and screaming lol.

Last night i stopped the Amitryptaline. Now i was on it to relax the muscles in my jaw and stop imflammation. Im still in pain, my jaw is still in the wrong place and ive chipped a tooth.I also read a post on here and it says it causes urine infections. I have one now and have trouble weeing.

I know at the mo i have no doctor to confide in, but i think, why stay on a drug if it does'nt work.So ive stopped. Im in pain, but am hoping just paracetamol can just take the edge off.

Today,well now.....my arms n hands are hurting but going numb if that makes sense. I read your thread on arms and hands.I do think you are much worse than me and so hope and wish they help you soon.

Let me know if you have had success in your meds.

Love
Angel.xxx

p.s 1.20am and im awake again aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgh !