PDA

View Full Version : eyes and sunlight

justdave
01-22-2009, 08:28 PM
I have come to the conclusion using sunscreen each day, whether being in the sun or not is a good thing. I feel better by the end of the day, even though the only light exposure is fluresent

But... I have this odd problem. When I am out in the sun my eyes become red, swollen and itchy. Not so bad indoors but it still happens. Not sure if lupus can effect the eyeball, but it looks like i am high when I go outside because of all the redness.. sometimes they water and hurt so bad I have a hard time seeing.

anyone else?

odd I know, its not allegies because it's winter here and it gets a bit better on cloudy days, but if the sun is dierectly on my face, it acts up.

I thought of sunglasses but I would look a bit silly with all the snow and sunglasses. The other thing is the snow makes it worse, reflects the light somehow, or maybe it's because its so white, but its hard to look at it on sunny days.

mountaindreamer
01-23-2009, 06:30 AM
hi justdave,

this is very interesting. I too suffer from watery eyes (especially when in the sun). I have never put with lupus - probably sjogren. it will be interesting to see what other posts we receive on this matter.

share a smile today

rob
01-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Hi Dave,

I have the same problem you do. I'm fair skinned and have always been light sensitive anyway, but it got worse with Lupus. My eyes hurt when it's really bright, and they get bloodshot. Actually, the sun in winter is extremely bright for the reason you mentioned, the snow reflects the light. I used to do alot of mountain climbing, mostly high altitude stuff where the snow never melts, and the sun on the snow was intense. It's a well known fact that your eyesight can be temporarily damaged from the reflected sunlight on snow, that's where the term "snowblind" comes from. I was on a climb where a newbie didn't have proper sunglasses, and he had to quit and go home because of becoming snowblind. I wear my sunscreen and sunglasses year round, and it really helps.

Angel Oliver
01-23-2009, 09:07 AM
HI,

I seem to have a problem that ''it's too bright''. My eye balls feel like theyre being pushed to the back of my head and hurt. I have recently been to the opticians ...I am the proud owner of my first pair of specs. They are black with Diamontes at the side which soooooooooooo sparkle in the sun.....but they are tinted black. So i wear em in the day and at night. I can actually read things now lol...didnt realise words are not supposed to have a fuzzy outline hehehehe.AND it helps a little and im not as dizzy outdoors, well as much as i was anyway.So get tinted glasses.They are not as dark as sunglasses...oh n dont have the sparkles on the side either...that would be funny :)

I do have watery eyes and they sting too.....But i have my sparkley specs and find myself looking just at my reflection cause i can see them sparkle......lol....i am such a magpie lol :)

(sorry...waffling on again...me me me ...lol:) )

Angel.xx

Angel Oliver
01-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Sorry i forgot to say because i was going on about me me me.....

There is a board on Photosensitive....There is good advise on it which i think will help you.

Love
Angel.xx