PDA

View Full Version : Leg Numbness

rob
01-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Hello all,

I've got a new, odd symptom, and I'm trying to determine if it's Lupus related, or not. For those who don't know, I was diagnosed with Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis last year, on top of the SLE diagnosis five years ago. I have odd symptoms that I try to categorize so I know if I should talk to my new rheumo who handles mostly the SLE problems, and my neuro who handles mostly the MS problems. It's difficult because some symptoms can be caused by either disease, and what may work to treat SLE symptoms may not work for MS and vice-versa. It's like when you only have SLE and you wonder if your headache is a Lupus headache, or just a regular headache like most non-lupus people get. You wonder what the root cause is.

My symptom is this- If I stand still for a few minutes, my legs go numb. But it's not the sort of numb with no muscle control like when your foot falls asleep. I have full control and don't have the feeling of losing muscular control at all. What it is, is my skin is numb. From my ankle to my hip bone, the skin is totally numb to touch. Like my entire leg has been injected with novacaine, but only on the surface. I can feel the muscles and what have you, and I can move and walk just fine, I just can't feel anything on the surface. It happens after I stand still for 2-3 minutes, like when I'm talking to someone, and the numbness goes away after 15-20 minutes of movement and/or walking. Anyone else have this happen?

mountaindreamer
01-22-2009, 07:18 PM
wow rob,
this is a new one to me. My friend with MS has numbness in her legs, but hers is a reaction to being on high steroid injections for many years, and involves muscle and overall use of legs.

sorry you are experiencing this, but never a dull moment with us. hope someone on the site can help you.

I truly appreciate all of your posts.

share a smile today,
phyllis

Danica01
01-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Rob,

That is a new one! I actually had numbness and burning in my legs when I first got sick but it has been so long :shock: I had no idea about the MS but I would put money on the MS causing this :( Do you see a different doctor for all of that???????? I am sorry and I hope it goes away soon. You just need a massage at the Lupus house :wink:

Angel Oliver
01-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi everyone hope you all are having a good day today :)

Rob,

Yes i have written about this in a post a few weeks ago. My arms keep going numb....but i can not feel them at all. But like you, i have numbness in my legs.

For example, if i sit on my bed with one leg dangling down, it goes numb and a dark speckly purple colour and my foot goes numb.

If i stand for a good few minutes, the leg im leaning on begins to go numb.

A few weeks ago when i was feeling really ill and very stressed, i woke up my left arm,hand and mostly my leg was numb....but i was scared as the left side of my face felt like id been to the dentist...it was numb.I felt like i was dragging my left leg around and it hurt at the very top of my leg.This lasted a few days.I even told my Doctor....who as usual didnt have an answer for me. Luckily it did pass.

I dont know what it is and so hope you find the answer to get rid of it soon.

Angel :) xx

iseedeadmonkeys
01-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Rob

I get that all the time, i thought it was a lupus thing, well i guess it would have to be as i dont have M.S but my sister does and she says she never gets that, so i also get it on my shoulder where its completely numb to touch weird feeling though init cuase its like touching someone else!! if that makes sence,,,,,,,,,,,,,,peace out rob we are from the same pod!!

Angel Oliver
01-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi ISDM...nice smile :),

This is strange and there the Doctors saying i ''must'' have M.E and it's a Lupus symptom.....i get more confused every day lol :)

Angel.xx

paula C
01-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi Rob,

Yes I can relate to this also, have had this on and off over the last year myself. It is a weird experience.

It is only in the last few weeks that this sensation comes with a rash over the area, once the numbness goes the rash disappears. I see my rheumatologist next week, so I am sure this will be looked into.

At this stage my GP is a little baffeled to what it could be, it may just be "One of those things".

Any way I hope it doesn't drive you too crazy,

Take care

Paula

Jesse
01-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi Rob,

Yes, I get it too in my left leg with the additonal feeling of the leg being very heavy and "thick." Sometimes it feels cold too and sometimes my arms go numb as well. I don't have MS and just assumed the lupus is the cause, but with your medical history it sounds like it could be either one. You need to alert both doctors to this and let them do their thing. They may not even know what the cause is until they see and examine you.

iseedeadmonkeys
01-25-2009, 04:09 AM
Strangly after i posted the last post i got it in my left leg!

it was a feeling of blood clot, i no tht feelin cause ive had it
but i think there is just a weakness in my leg anyway, yeah does feel thick and like its not sposed to be there too
xx

rob
01-25-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm going to have my next neuro appt. moved up as soon as possible and I'll be talking to him about this. It's a bizzare sensation. In the past I would have been rather nervous about this, but now, I'm so used to new and strange symptoms I guess It doesn't cause the fear I used to feel with these things. Just another screwball symptom. Thanks for all the responses and advice everyone, I do appreciate it.

Rob