PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new job. Ideas?

strawberrystef
01-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Hi there support friends! (I spent an hour reading and crying with some of you last night, thanks I really needed it!)

Although my hands are really hurting to type, Iím in a bit of a bind with my job, so Iím going to swallow my redheaded pride and ask for some advice.

What do most of you do for an income? Iíve worked in the food and beverage industry now for almost 13 years, and Iím good at what I do, and I love it. Unfortunately, my body no longer loves this line of work, itís been this way for a while now, but I just could not give up what seemed to be the one thing I, I, I, still have control over. (Please tell me Iím not the only one with control issues, and they just keep getting worse. HAHA, loose control one place and find about 20 other to steal it from!
Iím seeking a new line of work but feel lost in where to go, any ideas?!?!? OH YEAH insurance, that would be nice for a change, seeing as Iíve been paying for meds and doc visits all out of pocket.

Thanks for the help! You all are the best!

iseedeadmonkeys
01-21-2009, 08:58 AM
hiya stef!

im going through summin very similar atm! unfortunatly im gonna have to give up my day job and look a benefits, i font want to but like you say our body cant be doing this line of work anymore,

i hope you find summin right for you

good luck and best wishes

ISDM xx

Danica01
01-21-2009, 01:02 PM
I too am going through the same thing right now. I am paying $500 a month for health insurance and my body is just limiting me to what I can and can not do :( I have started to apply for help through our government but I feel like I am going to loose everything before and if any of that kicks in. I am thinking of looking for work in a very quiet, non stressful place. I am an accountant and like you even typing hurts a lot of the time. I am looking into some small book stores and librarys. The pay is a huge cut but right now I am not making anything, so, anything little bit will be better :wink: Hang in there and do not give up. Think about what you like and put yourself into that job in your mind. Then ask yourself if you will be able to work in those conditions or if it could possible make your disease worse. We can keep bouncing ideas off of each other :wink:

rob
01-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Strawberrystef,

I have to be honest and tell you that most of my income comes from my disability benefits now. But maybe I could help with some ideas for you. Do you have a passion, something you always thought you would like to do for a living, but never tried? Do you have a talent that you think could be used as a way to generate income? Maybe a flair for writing or artisitic talent? I would also think seriously about what your abilities are physically, and what your limitations are, so you can get into a job that you can handle without putting undue strain on yourself both mentally and physically.

For me, I make money to supplement my disability pay working at home. I've always had a passion for toy trains, and I have a background in mechanical engineering, so I started doing restoration work on antique toy trains. It allows me to work at my own pace when I am able to, and it's a no stress situation in every way. And I enjoy the heck out of it. I know that I am unemployable even in a part time position due to almost constant flares, so this is what I determined I could realistically do, and I utilized some abilities I already had.

Granted, that's just a small supplement to my disability pay, and not a full time career with any sort of benefits, but I'm using it as an example of the ideas I mentioned about going with what you can realistically handle, and something you have a passion for.

I owned my own business for 16 years, and had 20 employees. I really can understand not wanting to give up doing something you love, something you are very good at, to seek out some other line of work. But, old mr. Lupus sometimes leaves us with no choice. I hope some of this might help you.

Rob

Danica01
01-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Rob!!!!!!!!!!! That is so cool that you work on restoring trains :D Great advice on trying to do something that you have a passion for. I think that is so important for everyone but I think even more important for us. We have a lot of limitations through out our life and so enjoying every aspect of it, including work, is very important :wink:

Angel Oliver
01-22-2009, 04:39 AM
Yes, good advice....do something you have a passion for. I over the last few years have wrote a book. It is on my life so it will be sold with a noose cause its so depressing lol :) (joke). But i am so glad i didnt send it to the publishers, because i have decided....when i feel a bit better i am going to re write it.At least i now have the idea of how its going to be....it's funny in places and true....but i need to make allot of changes because of life changes since i wrote it. It actually helped me get a lot of tings out of my head.....less baggage to carry around with me.
I hope you think of something you like...instead of having a job you hate...''follow your dreams'' and you never know one day you could ''live the dream'' and be mega rich and famous.....or just enjoy what you do!
Oh and on the trains....Rob....id love to go on the Orient Express.Have you ever been on it?

Love
Angel.
(sorry if i waffle on a bit)xxxx

DrinkofWtr
01-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Some of the books like " The New What Color Is Your Parachute?" might help give you ideas about jobs you might like, or not have thought, that could be a "fit" with Lupus.

Danica01
01-22-2009, 11:33 PM
I will be the first to buy your book and remember that your life.......someone will relate to it and you will help them feel just a little less lonely. I can not wait!!!!! Keep me updated!

Yes, good advice....do something you have a passion for. I over the last few years have wrote a book. It is on my life so it will be sold with a noose cause its so depressing lol :) (joke). But i am so glad i didnt send it to the publishers, because i have decided....when i feel a bit better i am going to re write it.At least i now have the idea of how its going to be....it's funny in places and true....but i need to make allot of changes because of life changes since i wrote it. It actually helped me get a lot of tings out of my head.....less baggage to carry around with me.
I hope you think of something you like...instead of having a job you hate...''follow your dreams'' and you never know one day you could ''live the dream'' and be mega rich and famous.....or just enjoy what you do!
Oh and on the trains....Rob....id love to go on the Orient Express.Have you ever been on it?

Love
Angel.
(sorry if i waffle on a bit)xxxx

Angel Oliver
01-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Ah thanks so much Danica.....so kind as usual :)

Love
Angel.xxx

Spanglishqueen
01-31-2009, 01:27 PM
There are a lot of the things out there that you can even do from home, especially with our technology. One of my friends who is considered legally blind (she can still see but needs assistance walking and can't drive) and on disability she makes extra income with online jobs. She tests a lot of products and sites kinda like an on-line secret shopper and she loves it. And now a days they have the voice activated keyboards and software and you don't have to use your hands. So don't give up and find something that will keep both you and your body happy.

strawberrystef
01-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Thank you so much for your responses. Iím still looking. However, Iím not leaving my current job until I find something else. Iím on a little break fighting a flair; I managed to pick up a good olí case of viral pneumonia which helped me move right along into a flair. My job is really great to work with me on this, but as we all know the restaurant is not the best place for me to try and stay flair free. So Iím still looking. Thanks so much for your support!