PDA

View Full Version : Burned Myself on the Oven Element Again

DrinkofWtr
01-21-2009, 08:37 AM
This weekend, while my boyfriend and his son went camping, I stayed home and wouldn't you know it while flippping over some fish sticks, I burned the tip of my finger on the oven element again. It hurt so badly. I had to use, at least, a half of a tray of ice cubes before the pain subsided. I was putting them on one by one to deaden the pain.

The lupus just keeps on doing its magic! My coordination is so off and my other health problems don't help the situation either. Then, when something like this happens, it takes forever for the burn to heal, etc.

I am sorry that I am whining about this, but I get so frustrated, at times.

iseedeadmonkeys
01-21-2009, 09:02 AM
DOW :D

i personally think there should be some sort of law or serious health warning to ppl with lupus using ovens!!!
i have the same problem too, most annoying it is,
if i dont burn myself i tend to burn the food :D
its a pain in the neck i agree
keep smiling
xx

Danica01
01-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Between burning our fingers on the oven......running into walls......falling up the stairs, yes, I said up........and everything else that we seem to do to ourselves, we should live in a protected bubble! We could be bubble boys and girls :lol:

rob
01-21-2009, 01:33 PM
I can feel for you DrinkofWtr. My burns from my microwave/milk mishap last week, are finally healing. This stupid disease really causes us to bang ourselves up alot.

kducks
01-21-2009, 03:55 PM
I have found the solution! My boyfriend bought me two Ove Gloves for Christmas and they are perfect! I have burned myself SO many times in the oven over the years. I have been wanting to try them, but never went out to actually buy them. It was one of the sweetest things anyone has bought for me..they work like a charm!

sits_inthe_corner
01-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Yesterday morning I was getting ready for work, curling my hair with a curling iron.....I had a brain fog moment....

For some reason, I really don't know why...I stuck my thumb on the curling iron :shock:

I wasn't testing it to see if it was hot, I hand formed the thought to touch the iron. I just did it.

I drove to work holding a freezer pack, and spent the whole day yesterday coping and binding reports with my thumb throbbing the whole time....DOH!

kducks do you think it's possible to wear those new fancy oven mitts while curling my hair? :lol:

BonusMom
01-21-2009, 07:23 PM
So that we don't subject ourselves to possible burns and other kitchen disasters, I vote all with AI get their own personal chefs :).

Danica01
01-21-2009, 11:04 PM
I second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smilecolros:

mountaindreamer
01-22-2009, 02:25 AM
great idea. also, can we get housekeepers, babysitters, grocery shoppers, dishwashers, etc......sounds like we need to re-explore the idea for the "lupus house". At least we would all have someone to share all of these luxuries with.

Angel Oliver
01-22-2009, 04:23 AM
OUCH!!!! I hope your burn is healing and you are not in too much pain. OUCH!!

My silly moment is......when i go to walk in a room.....i like to headbutt the door......so cool but so sore lol :) So we need to order the following :-

1. Oven Gloves
2. Crash Helmets
3.Chefs

Love
Angel.xxx

SuperGiv
01-22-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm ALWAYS catching myself on the oven, oven tray, anything hot!!! Even when i use gloves i'll catch it hehe. It's very frustrating, but run a bit of cold water on it and its not too bad :D

NoodleMom
01-22-2009, 03:06 PM
what to do when you burn a whole in the oven mitt?

K

iseedeadmonkeys
01-22-2009, 03:27 PM
i burnt my finger in the resturant this morning hehehe

my mate burnt her finger on the oven! she dosent have lupus she is clumbsy lol

sits_inthe_corner
01-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Ummm NoodleMom

I'd say it's time for a new oven mitt, and for goodness sake don't forget to throw out the old one :lol:

DrinkofWtr
01-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Check this out. It wasn't bad enough that I burnt my finger. But when I burnt it, the spatula I was holding flew somewhere. I looked for it but could not find it anywhere. Oh well, I thought it will turn up. Well I was cooking fish filets in the oven another day when a fire started in the oven. It turned out to be the missing spatula! I didn't see it
in there because it was pushed way in the back and I don't see to well anymore. Probably lupus related too. So not only did I burn my finger, but I started a fire in the oven too. What a mess to clean out! Plastic melted drippings all over the bottom oven element and the bottom of the oven too.

Then I got yelled out for starting the fire. I said, "Yeah, and I started it on purpose." Not really, but I was upset that I was being blamed for starting the fire period.

It's bad enough that these things happen to us. We don't need to be further rebuked!

sits_inthe_corner
01-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Awww gentle hugs to ya DrinkofWtr

Drives me bonkers, cause I'm pretty quick to forgive. So when someone goes off on me, it really hurts my feelings.

I'm glad you weren't hurt...you weren't hurt ... were ya?

DrinkofWtr
01-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Also, I have to admit that I wasn't wearing oven gloves when it happened. The reason I usually don't have them on is I have a hard time gripping things without gloves. So when I have them on I get even less of a grip!

I wish I could just get a grip!

sits_inthe_corner
01-22-2009, 03:52 PM
:lol: DrinkofWtr

I think you should consider making an announcement....do to your aparent struggles in the kitchen and the lack of understanding by those around you....you have decided you no longer cook. hahahahahaha.

Pass the buck baby...let them do all the cooking and cleaning up....let me know what time dinner is :D

DrinkofWtr
01-22-2009, 03:53 PM
My feelings were hurt, as I am a very sensitive person. As far as physically hurt, the burn hurt very badly the first day, but now it is healing slowly. It peeled off dead skin within a day or two, now it is just sensitive.

Danica01
01-22-2009, 11:31 PM
I understand :) I am very sensitive and I normally have a cry every other day :? It is very heart breaking to us when our condition causes us to do silly things like all of that but it makes it even worse when someone yells and they don't stop to remember that it was an accident :wink: I used to feel horrible about being so sensitive but I realized that our sensitivity allows us to love in enormous amounts and care for others like no one else :D

At least your burn is getting better and your feelings will also heal......next time, maybe they will be more patient and stop and think about you and your feelings :wink:

mountaindreamer
01-23-2009, 05:47 AM
nice job Danica

you are right....i would rather be sensitive and cry and love, than to be cold, and not feel the wonder of love.

share a smile today,
phyllis

KathyW1958
01-23-2009, 06:15 AM
Hi all,
My favorite thing to do is stub my darn toes! I mean it, I get my big toe healed up only to do it again! Shoot I just did it yesterday morning and yup broke the big toenail again. We need to add toe guards lol to the list.

Hugs,
Kathy

DrinkofWtr
01-23-2009, 07:15 AM
My feelings heal to a certain extent, but I now have the skin of an alligator because I have grown so tough. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing, but that is the way it is now!

Speaking of stubbed toes, I went through that stage a few years ago. I wouldn't get through one stubbed toe incident before I found myself stubbing the same toe again. This went on for at about a year.

I never used to be accident prone or hurt myself until I acquired this illness.

rob
01-23-2009, 07:25 AM
I stub my toes all the time. I actually broke my big toe a couple of years ago. I wasn't a klutz before lupus either. Thanks for nothing Mr. Lupus.

Rastagirl
01-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I, too, was not a klutz before Lupus. In fact, I was a gymnast.

I've stubbed and managed to break each toe on my left foot over the years with Lupus. My left foot looks terrible. Gess it's my left foot or left side that's klutzier (is that a word?) cuz all my right toes are straight 'n pretty.

You should see when I get a pedicure....right foot, pretty, left foot, ugggggggg! :roll:

Maybe we should send out a warning to all those new with Lupus, "be careful of the stubbed toe syndrome", so they can keep their toes safe.

Smiles,

Lori :P

summerdragonfly
01-24-2009, 06:09 PM
WOW, ive had Lupus for almost 9 years and this is the first i've heard of this...... i never thought that my clumsiness could be from my lupus. I just though i was getting older..... learn something new everyday!

iseedeadmonkeys
01-25-2009, 04:06 AM
does anyone realise how differcult it is getting fresh orange juice out of the comfort tray in the washing machine?

VERY!!

x

SuperGiv
01-25-2009, 04:22 AM
I squirted cooking oil on a sponge the other day to do the washing up..... ahem. Eventually realised and switched back to the more effective washing up liquid :D

iseedeadmonkeys
01-25-2009, 05:48 AM
lmao super hahaha made me feel normal there :D

sits_inthe_corner
01-25-2009, 11:02 AM
So....Friday after noon, my boss comes out and says she needs a couple of letters typed up to go in the mail.

I looked at her and said, "you're kidding...right?"

She looked at me funny and said ... well they could waite till Monday.

I said GREAT cause I'm OUTA here.

She laughed and said have a good weekend.

I jumped up, grabbed my coat and headed for my car :) one happy little camper I was.

Till I got in my car and realized it was only 4:30 pm and I had walked off the job 1/2 early.

Now I know that all sounds a bit silly but oh well stuff happens right?

No....I did not lock up, I did not turn the coffee pot off, I did not tidy up the kitchen. I just left.

Never once looked at a clock.

So back up stairs I go....walk into my boss's office.

She sees the look on my face and starts to laugh :P

She said she wondered when I'd clue in, and if I would come back once I did.

Gawd ... I was so embarrised.

iseedeadmonkeys
01-25-2009, 12:39 PM
now thats the kind of thing ive been known to do, i would of carried on and though oh well il explain on monday hahaha xx