PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss

Gisèle
01-18-2009, 02:25 AM
I am curious if weight loss is connected to lupus.

This past year (ever since the symptoms began), I have lost almost 15lbs, and I have no idea where it went as I haven't been seeking to lose weight, and I haven't been eating or exercising differently. It's a bit worrisome.

Can the illness itself caught weight loss, or can the medications, like prednisone or plaquenil, contribute?

Has anyone lost weight from lupus?

Mary Jane
01-18-2009, 02:32 AM
I wish I could tell you I have the same thing...but I have the opposite problem. I joined weight watchers last week because my weight is just getting out of control. everytime I go on prednisone, I gain at least 5 lbs. However, I gained .2 lbs after my first week at weight watchers. I could feel the swelling in my face and hands. It was really discouraging because I thought I was following the plan...and then I gained. I have read that weight loss is a symptom of lupus...unfortunately it's not one of mine.

sits_inthe_corner
01-18-2009, 04:42 AM
Hey Gisèle

Get your bottom into the doctor. Let them know about the amount of weightloss.

As far as I am aware of ... it's usually weight gain, not loss. So there maybe something else going on there that needs checking into.

Have you been having upset stomach or ummm how do I put this... :D the runs?

Sometimes there can be reactions to wheat products brought on by celiacs. This causes flue like symptoms that can go undeteced for quite a while, because it gets written off as flue or Irritable Bowel syndrom.

This can cause rapid weightloss and can be very serious if not treated.

I don't mean to freak you out, my sister has lupus and had written her weightloss off and other symptoms to being the lupus.

It wasn't lupus....it was celiacs. She does have lupus, but she also has celiacs.

It's worth going to the doctor and letting them know.

Gentle hugs

Danica01
01-18-2009, 11:56 AM
I agree with everyone.......go to the doctor! That is a pretty large amount to loose especially because you haven't changed anything in regards to your eating habits. Keep us posted on what happens :wink:

Larz77
01-18-2009, 05:42 PM
I always experience weight loss when I am having a flare. I also experience it when I come off of prednisone. On Prednisone, it depends on the dose. Lower dose, I stay pretty even. Higher doses, defintiely gain weight.

Anytime you lose 10% of your body weight and you were not trying, it is worth looking into however.

Larz

sits_inthe_corner
01-18-2009, 05:52 PM
:lol: You know Gisèle

We only nag the ones we love...do ya feel the love :lol:

Hope you're feeling better today, gentle hugs to ya.

Danica01
01-19-2009, 12:28 AM
We are giving out soooooooooooo much love right now.....hehehehehehe!!!!

:lol: You know Gisèle

We only nag the ones we love...do ya feel the love :lol:

Hope you're feeling better today, gentle hugs to ya.

hatlady
01-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Wow, 15 pounds is a lot!

Last year (well, late '07 into early '08 ) I lost about 6 pounds and haven't regained it. When I went to my doc and he noted I'd lost "that much" he said "don't lose any more!" which surprised me. While I wasn't overweight to start with, I didn't think losing even 10 pounds would have been a bad thing.

Yes, do talk to your doc. And watch what you're eating - I've heard to write everything down when you're trying to lose, but it may be a good thing now too. Be sure you're eating right, lots of fruits, little animal fat, lots of veggies and whole grains. YOu want to be able to tell your doc what you are and aren't doing clearly when you see him/her.

Hugs dear!